Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Wheaties issue?

3 posters

Go down

New Wheaties issue? Empty New Wheaties issue?

Post by glenv Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:27 pm

Who saw the single serving Wheaties box that sold on Ebay last week? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160291539677&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=006 While it looks like a series 14 card, it has a different number on the card (looks like 22A) than the series 14, it isn't in the checklist, and its too old ('35 vs. '37). That would make it a unique issue! Regardless, what a nice item!!!

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
New Wheaties issue? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100New Wheaties issue? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

New Wheaties issue? Empty Re: New Wheaties issue?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:12 pm

I sold one of these several years ago - the card cutout only - for $350 in good condition. It is a Series 15.

There was a Lipsett Auction a few years ago in which he sold a lot containing several of these. Quite a difficult card, because the cereal boxes were never released to the public. They were typically served with breakfast in hotel restaurants or trains. And the kid would have had to grab the box from the table, and keep it until he could deposit it in his room. These cards are usually not found in top condition, the Medwick shown went very cheaply, I think. Medwick is the player I sold (to a Medwick collector).

Last edited by ItsOnlyGil on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
New Wheaties issue? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100New Wheaties issue? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:05 pm

Neat box. I don't have much to add, but I'd like to post scans in the thread for future reference:

New Wheaties issue? Wheati10New Wheaties issue? C6aa_110
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
New Wheaties issue? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100New Wheaties issue? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:16 pm

Following the SCD, the card looks more like a Series 14 than 15. Medwick is in Series 15, but the SCD describes those as having red, white, and blue backgrounds which look to be in rings around the player. Is the SCD correct? Does anyone have any Wheaties Series 14/15 cards to post?

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
New Wheaties issue? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100New Wheaties issue? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Well Glen, if I remember correctly, some of the Series 15 cards came with a white background bordered by a red and blue line around the (well, the freakin') border; much like the Series 7. And there could have been other card designs in the Series 15. Old Cardboard shows an example of both the Series 14 & 15; so you can easily see how similar their appearance is.

Ok, you got me interested enuff, that I looked it up. It was Lew's April 2006 auction:
http://www.oldjudge.com/archive/200604/baseball/minis/
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
New Wheaties issue? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100New Wheaties issue? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down