Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB

4 posters

Go down

Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB Empty Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB

Post by sabrjay Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:05 am

Thought this was a pretty neat article. First I had ever heard about this

Negro League Draft

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB Empty Re: Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:57 am

It is an unfortunate part of our history, which robbed everyone.
Also among the lost are those who did not get an actual try out with MLB, although they were on the rosters, and had some exposure to what the game could provide.
There is no way to make this right. It is heartening that many realize and care that things should have been different.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB Empty Re: Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB

Post by CobbSpikedMe Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Thanks for the link Jay. I enjoyed reading this.

My father told me years ago, in passing, that he used to walk the crowds selling concessions at many Negro League games in Michigan when he was a boy. After he told me that, I started to read up about the Leagues and found them to be an amazing part of baseball history that I had never be exposed to before. I very much enjoy reading about them and researching the players and their stories now. I know that many of them are a bit inflated, but some of them are just so damn awesome.

I'm glad Peanut is getting recognized as well as all the other players that will be forgotten if we don't continue to tell their stories.

AndyH
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Negro Leaguers to be drafted by MLB Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:06 pm

And many reputations were not "inflated"; as evidenced by ex-Negro Leagures who we know, including Robinson, Campanella, Newcombe, Mays, Banks, Aaron, and many others of lesser (tho strong) visibility.

If the NL routinely produced this crop of rookies; we missed decades of serious stars !
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down