Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OC, MC, and Mk

5 posters

Go down

OC, MC, and Mk Empty OC, MC, and Mk

Post by arandy Sat May 24, 2008 10:32 pm

I just want to know how to find the value of an PSA graded OC, MC, or Mk card. How much do I take off the original price?

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
OC, MC, and Mk Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100OC, MC, and Mk Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

OC, MC, and Mk Empty Re: OC, MC, and Mk

Post by TheBig6 Sat May 24, 2008 10:42 pm

Qualifiers are usually frowned upon by collectors unless it's a rare card. On main stream issues a qualifier can knock the price down as much as 2 grades. For example a PSA4 MK might only get a PSA 2 price. This is just from my casual observations.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
OC, MC, and Mk Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100OC, MC, and Mk Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat May 24, 2008 10:52 pm

First of all, qualifiers don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Why not take all condition factors into account when determining a grade instead of creating a separate qualifier?

That said...

Not all OC's, MC's, and MK's are created equal. The extent to which a qualifier affects a card's value depends on the severity of the defect. In my experience, this is especially true for MK's. A pencil mark on the back of one card and a large ink mark on the front of another are both given "MK" when in no way are those two defects on the same level.

Sometimes you can get really good deals on cards with qualifiers because many graded card collectors tend not to like 'em.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
OC, MC, and Mk Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100OC, MC, and Mk Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Sun May 25, 2008 10:44 am

I know I'm different than many pre-war collectors in that I really like the qualifiers. A PSA 8MC or a PSA 6MK tells me a lot about the card that a straight PSA 5 (which may be the PSA 8MC's grade w/o qualifier) or a PSA 4 tells me as it doesn't differentiate the MC or MK from "normal" PSA 5s or 4s.

With that said, MKs are a case-by-case issue. Some MKs are barely visible. Other MKs are all over. Some MKs make the card more interesting. Other MKs make the card garbage.

FWIW, i think PSA is a bit inconsistent with their MC designation. I've seen cards designated MC when others with the same centering were considered OC. I've also cracked out a PSA 2MC that turned into a PSA 8MC without anything done to the card. That one was unexplainable how they thought it should have been a 2MC to begin with. My guess was that they graded it a 2 for the severe MC, but then still tacked on the MC thus downgrading the card twice.

So in short, I like the MC, OC and MK designations, but I'd like it better if it was in capable hands.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
OC, MC, and Mk Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100OC, MC, and Mk Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Sun May 25, 2008 2:27 pm

In my opinion, I belive there should be no MC or OC. They should grade the cards condition from how it is affected after it leaves the factory and not by the way it was produced.

-Randy

Last edited by arandy on Sun May 25, 2008 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To make sense!)
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Sun May 25, 2008 8:47 pm

Here's an affordable HOF t205 in mint condition. LINK. The back is a tad OC but it is realy nice. I'd buy it but it looks like it has a bat ear in the top right hand corner.

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed May 28, 2008 6:09 pm

the psa registry takes 2 grades off the qualifier ...so a psa7oc would count as a 5. i've always based my buying prices on that and in some cases even lower if the qualifier is an ugly one to me.

a perfect example of this is coming up where the e105 mello mint wagner psa4mk in goodwin. a straight sgc30 sold in rea for 3.5k+, we'll see how much this nice psa example goes for.

and arandy i think the collins is fine...card looks to be a bit tilted. not sure what a straight 5 would go for but the price looks high.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
OC, MC, and Mk Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100OC, MC, and Mk Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: