Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy?

+3
yawie99
sabrjay
fisherboy7
7 posters

Go down

"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy?

"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Vote_lcap83%"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Vote_rcap 83% 
[ 15 ]
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Vote_lcap17%"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 18

"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Empty "No returns on graded cards" - fair policy?

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:01 pm

Many sellers will state "no returns on graded cards" in their auctions. Is this a fair policy? Vote yes or no and explain your reasons why in the thread.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Empty Re: "No returns on graded cards" - fair policy?

Post by sabrjay Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:36 pm

I say no because it leaves too wide open for the seller to tamper with the card/holder. Not that a buyer couldn't do some tampering too, but you should be willing to back up anything sell, especially something that is checked out by a thrid party.

At least with a slabbed card being returned, you know that more than likely you are getting back the same card you sent out.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Empty Re: "No returns on graded cards" - fair policy?

Post by yawie99 Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:41 pm

As long as it's stated up front, I think it's fair. I'm not saying I like it and that phrase often keeps me from bidding, but it's fair.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Empty no returns

Post by bcornell Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:35 pm

I voted "yes", but it should be qualified. When there's a no-return policy and a weak description like, for example, "great vintage card that as been graded by PSA" (which one prominent seller uses all the time) with no other detail, the seller should accept returns. Actually, that should apply for all cards: if you can't be bothered to describe it, don't be surprised when a buyer is disappointed because a scan didn't show the flaws.

I always accept returns - it's not worth the hassle of negotiating over whether the scans & description were accurate. I blocked 2 guys in the past who sent cards back... they were chronic bid retractors and complainers. So we're even!

Bill
bcornell
bcornell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.t207.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:28 pm

Geez, I'm banned in place and can't bid on your auctions Razz . What's the world coming to?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:42 pm

I said no. I don't think it's right to say since a pro told you what the grade is, there is no reason for you to be supprised by the condition of the card when you receive it. What if there is a small crease that you can't see in the scan. You find it after you receive the card but now, you can't return it.
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bcornell Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:53 pm

sabrjay wrote:Geez, I'm banned in place and can't bid on your auctions Razz . What's the world coming to?

Jay

Ah, forgot you, Jay - that makes 3 malcontents. But I'm going to give you another shot. Go bid on the beat up t204's I have on eBay now. Big scans, descriptions, 7-day return policy... everything you need!

Bill
bcornell
bcornell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.t207.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:30 pm

You providing the money to buy them too? righton

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:45 pm

since i have a few auctions up right now with the "no return" i'll post my thoughts...

i've started using this disclaimer late last year since there are so many new faces i don't recognize from the "circle" or from dealers buying looking to flip so i felt the need to protect myself a bit. i started getting random q's such as will you guarantee it'll cross to etc/etc with the same grade or have you tried to crack resubmit/do you think it's worth it blah blah...so then i just put up huge scans and let them decide.

i used to write paragraphs with the card's description/specific flaws but i no longer do that either. if they have any question(s) even after looking at the scan they can contact me. having said all that if you're unsatisfied with the purchase and have a legit complaint i'd have no problem taking card back. in the 7 years i've been in the hobby i don't remember having one card returned, it's always the other way around where i want the card back (usually at 3x the price i sold it for).

also we're talking about slabbed stuff but of course i would stand behind all the raw cards i sell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-E94-CLOSE-CANDY-TRIS-SPEAKER-PSA-2_W0QQitemZ270227337263
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:50 pm

to add my preference when buying is i prefer the huge scans to judge for myself vs. descriptive words about the cards with small ebay-hosted scans. i have more confidence in my grading ability than the biased view of the seller/grading company...and if i feel the grade/card don't match than i can send a question to clear that part up.

most of the time i feel the grade assigned is a good representation/guide of the card itself...and if you're still disappointed provided there are decent scans then that's your problem.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:01 pm

I voted yes. When I buy or sell a graded card you are buying the service the grader provides. You should be familiar with there grading critiria. If you do not ask questions before the end of the auction and are not happy with the card when it is received, then you have a problem with the grading service not with the seller.

When I sell raw cards, I never apply a grade personally, just describe the card as best as I can. Grading is always subjective, so who is right. I have never had a return in my 7 1/2 years of ebay sales.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:08 pm

I agree with Bill's qualification. For those who've voted "yes"...

Would your vote change to "no" if any of the following were true:

1. The auction had a poor scan and, when received, the card appears undergraded by at least 1-2 grades.

2. The card was graded AUT with no description of the alterations.

3. The card turned out to be mislabeled eg. T205 Moran labeled "stray line" and turned out to be the normal version upon receipt.

Question
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100"No returns on graded cards" - fair policy? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down