Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Annoying trends within this hobby

+6
BigGuy219
seablaster
jpcw
jbonie
sabrjay
ullmandds
10 posters

Go down

Annoying trends within this hobby Empty Annoying trends within this hobby

Post by ullmandds Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:11 pm

One of my biggest pet peeves in this beloved hobby of ours these days is the..."make me an offer" play.  Doesn't anyone have the knowledge/balls to put a price on a card they are trying to sell anymore?!?!

Last edited by ullmandds on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error...because I care!)
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Annoying trends within this hobby Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Annoying trends within this hobby Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Annoying trends within this hobby Empty Re: Annoying trends within this hobby

Post by sabrjay Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Sometimes it's truly lack of knowledge of the markets. I honestly couldn't price a single card in my collection with a realistic market value. I do know the minimum dollar amount it would take to get each card, but I have no clue as to current market value. 

Others are just plain greedy and place "make offer" sales because they want to try and get top dollar from their item, especially if it's a rare card and they hope that the one person that really wants the card will make a silly offer. "Make offer" sales on cards like t206s etc is just stupid.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Annoying trends within this hobby Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Annoying trends within this hobby Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:56 pm

They say that whoever throws out the first number has the edge in the negotiation, so waiting for the other person to do so may not be a good bargaining strategy.  Better to be aggressive.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Annoying trends within this hobby Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Annoying trends within this hobby Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jpcw Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:03 pm

I tend to agree with ullmandds.  I think people list their item that way with the hopes of many offers coming in & then they can play games without anyone else knowing what's going on.  There are times when a card so scarce & rarely offered could justify this method, but that is rare.
jpcw
jpcw
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Annoying trends within this hobby Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Annoying trends within this hobby Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by seablaster Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:55 pm

jpcw wrote:I think people list their item that way with the hopes of many offers coming in & then they can play games without anyone else knowing what's going on. 

Playing games is right.  I have encountered the scenario where my offer was used as leverage in negotiations with other potential buyers.  

Accompanying my offer to the seller is a stipulation stating that my offer is good for a short, specified period of time.  Once elapsed, I'm no longer interested.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Annoying trends within this hobby Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Annoying trends within this hobby Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:21 pm

With all the games it's almost amazing there are any sales at all.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 am

"i have this card listed but not really planning to sell if you blow me away with an offer i might consider moving it...." that's the WORST!  that'd be the description of 99.9% cards out there.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Annoying trends within this hobby Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Annoying trends within this hobby Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 am

I hear you quan...I'm not married to it...but...basically means if you give me like double or triple the real market value of the actual card...I'll let u have it!  I'm experiencing a little of this with my miller run.  miller is just a common in most sets yet I've been paying 4-6 times what any other common would sell for...WTF!!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Annoying trends within this hobby Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Annoying trends within this hobby Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by seablaster Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:32 am

ullmandds wrote:miller is just a common in most sets yet I've been paying 4-6 times what any other common would sell for...WTF!!!!!
Pete, I hope you forgive me for asking, but didn't you foresee this happening?
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:42 am

I suppose I expected to pay a premium...but at what cost?!?!??!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:42 am

I'm so naive...just a country bumpkin left to the wolves?!?!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:45 am

It's like the t206 Titus bubble... one collector wants a card and the price goes boom.  It's a small hobby...
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Annoying trends within this hobby Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Annoying trends within this hobby Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by seablaster Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:56 am

ullmandds wrote:I'm so naive...just a country bumpkin left to the wolves?!?!

Very Happy

Subterfuge, bro.  Subterfuge.  Enlist hobby friends to make posts regarding the Dots cards you need so as to not give the perception that it is one person acquiring them.  By making the set run known, you lose some negotiating power, but I agree 4-6 times higher than equivalent commons is price gouging.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:23 am

too late...the cats out of the bag...luckily I have many really tough ones...and the 5-6 I still need...I'm in no rush.  This miller run has actually re-invigorated my enjoyment of the hobby....I was a little lost in transition...and I've found my way...for now!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:14 pm

I hear some idiot is also overpaying on NY Giant cabs and also spoiling it for people.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:43 am

I will start with insults... if I low-ball an "obviously valuable card" in a "Make Offer" format that has been on feebay for six months. Go ahead and tell me to stick it, but be creative; do not resort to the standard four letter, ancestry related tirades.

I've decided to offer sellers potential ammunition in a preemptive strike, so I usually include "I'm a pot smoking, gun toting, Republican supporter of the LGBT community. I'll offer $X for Y card" to any offer made. The next Bob Marley, Ted Nugent, Freddie Mercury triple fold that comes up for sale, I am golden.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:52 pm

I do the "make offer" Pete because I constantly get beat to death for discounts. From doing shows for 30+ years, no matter what you put on a card, they always ask "what is the best price" In the early days I used to just price the cards but I watched many people put them back down and walk away. Nice i price them higher and take a certain amount off. Same rule applies to the "make offer"

Customers like to think they are getting a deal, I think it is similar to retail having sales of 50% off after they marked the items up 40% for that day.

Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:41 am

I agree with Dan on this one. Pete I also hear you as well. I sell very few items from my collection mostly triples and duplicates at best. Funny if you put a number on an item say a fair market value you will get hammered on a bit for a deal. I can’t keep track at this point on how many deals I have started with yes I would sell, I have “blank” in the card so won’t take less or I would take “blank” for this card if you would like to buy it.

Only to be hammered down and be offered 20-30% less after being upfront. I totally see why folks bump their cards up the 20-40% it’s just in preparation for the haggle that's coming via the next PM or email.
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:13 pm

Happy New year Wonkabrain! How the heck are you?
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum