Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens

+2
ullmandds
pariah1107
6 posters

Go down

"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Empty "Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens

Post by pariah1107 Sun May 26, 2013 3:04 pm

"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Fireball_1960Win_8

Congratulations to the 2013 NASCAR Hall of Fame inductees, and long overdue for one of the greatest of all-time Glenn "Fireball" Roberts. This is a baseball related post, since "Fireball" got his nickname from his days as a pitcher for the semi-pro Zellwood Mud Hens (FL) not from his exploits on the track. His life was, tragically, cut short in a horrible 1964 wreck. 33 career wins.

Going to enjoy the best day of racing, the Indy 500 followed by NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600. Have a wonderful, safe Memorial Day weekend everyone.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Empty Re: "Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens

Post by pariah1107 Fri May 31, 2013 9:47 pm

I will confine my NASCAR rantings to this post this season.

Congratulations to Darrell "Bubba" Wallace Jr. for becoming the first African American to qualify on the pole at an event since Bill Lester III in the 2003 in NASCAR's Truck series, and the youngest to do so EVER! A bright future for this young star. Good luck at Dover!
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Empty Re: "Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens

Post by ullmandds Fri May 31, 2013 11:17 pm

I wondering what he's telling Miss Georgia...I'm guessing she's about to blush!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:12 am

ty, i didn't know you were a redneck Cool (<---- the smiley difuses any prejudiced remark!)
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:18 am

ullmandds wrote:I wondering what he's telling Miss Georgia...I'm guessing she's about to blush!

I'm thinking it's something along the lines of looking under the hood or something to do with the back seat.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:20 am

cccc wrote:ty, i didn't know you were a redneck Cool (<---- the smiley difuses any prejudiced remark!)

Ohhhh... I am a rockabilly redneck. Horsepower followed by hoarse hour.

Bubba Wallace 10th at Dover.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Recent pickup, 1973 Oldsmobile Omega... It may look like Hunky Shaw now, but give me a couple years and it will be a Babe. A remanufactured 350 4 barrel at 350 hp, only 3000 lbs, and this future muscle will be running a 12 second quarter-mile soon. Definitely grades "Authentic":

"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens OMEGA1_zpscf7d19ac

Let's see some cars....
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Okay, a brief summary of the most frustrating week in NASCAR history. Last Sunday, with the assistance of Brian Vickers, Joey Logano, David Gilliland, and Clint Bowyer; Martin Truex entered the Chase Sprint Cup playoffs.

On Monday, NASCAR determined Vickers pitted late, and Bowyer spun out on purpose with seven laps to go, so MWR teammate Truex could get in the chase, and bounce Ryan Newman out of it. NASCAR's ruling Truex out,  Newman in.

On Friday, NASCAR determined Joey Logano, and David Gilliland conspired to advance Logano's position in the Chase, and bounce Jeff Gordon out of it. NASCAR's ruling Jeff Gordon in, as an unprecedented 13th contestant on Friday the 13th, and penalties placed on the teams of Logano and Gilliland.

What a mess! All of this without a single lap under green. Might as well have settled it by lottery or ouija board. All of this to enter the playoffs, and baseball fans thought the MLB wild card was complicated. At least MLB, NBA, NHL and the NFL stand by their results, regardless of bad calls and unethical practices... now that's integrity!
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:52 pm

I gotta admit, I'm having a tough time understanding the terms here, but I am a NASCAR neophyte. In fact, I have just about no interest in the sport at all. But it sounds like there's some funny business going on.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Noone understands it. That's the point. Only the France family gets it, who are beginning to resemble the McMahons from the WWE.

I am highly suspicious of almost everything in sports, but this is beyond the pale. I guarantee every person on a doomsday preppers TV broadcast has a piece of NASCAR memorabilia in their home. They are speaking to an already highly speculative audience. This is stirring the hornets nest.

Say it ain't so!Laughing
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-NUT Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Great thread. I just started collecting NASCAR cards this year (Press Pass makes some cool cards) and have been watching the Sprint Cup and Nationwide series and I'm hooked. In fact I'm watching Kyle Busch win the Dollar General 300 at this very moment.

Z-NUT
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-NUT Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:13 pm

The NASCAR card and memorabilia hobby has a lot of room for growth. Sets are a bargain compared to the Baseball, Football, Hockey, and Basketball. Beckett also puts out a yearly guide.

Z-NUT
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Those MAXX & ProSets are dirt cheap and certainly had fractionally fewer of them printed than comparable football/baseball of the time. With the right filters on fleabay, every now and then a vintage PC comes up like this one from the 1909 New York to Seattle Race Across America. This event was to raise awareness of United States infrastructure, sponsored by Henry Ford and other parties for $2,000 in prize money in conjunction with the Alaska-Yukon Exposition. The "Pathfinder" was actually the lead vehicle that carved a passable route for competitors a couple weeks later. This PC had a couple things going for it (1) local history (Easton/Snoqualmie Pass about 30 miles west), and (2) very early racing history, but alas I was the under-bidder:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Antique-postcards-Washington-Cle-Elum-Easton-Real-Photo-Aberdeen-/321196183891?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=tE5%252FlhsYFKiNnG10rSN5k3i%252B4NE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Good luck to Kyle Busch on the Chicago-land clean sweep this afternoon.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:41 pm

Buried by the World Series & College Football on Saturday: Darrell "Bubba" Walllace Jr. became the first black driver to win a NASCAR race since Wendell Scott in 1963 yesterday. Congratulations to a talented young driver.

I buy one 1:24 autographed diecast model per season, and this year I purchased this "Darrell Wallace Jr." signed diecast shortly after he won the pole at Dover (mentioned above). Probably doubled in value lastnight. Though he usually runs the #54 Camping World Truck, here's his #20 from the one Nationwide race he ran in 2012..... he'll be in THE SHOW soon.

"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens DSC01420_zps7535636f
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:26 am

Picked up this 1937 Auto Union Streamliner Rennwagen Tobacco Card. Pictured on the radically insane north turn at Avus racetrack outside Berlin. At 43 degrees, without a guardrail for safety, this turn was known as the "Wall of Death"... and the 1939 MG Magnette. These were not "far-out" fantasy cars but land-speed record setters of the late 1930's. Speeds achieved by the Rennwagen at Avus would not be equalled at Indianapolis for another 30 years.

"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens 1937Rennwagenamp1939Magnette_zpsf79571b7
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:11 pm

Not your usual addition on a baseball card forum, but picked up this 1970 Chevy Nova yesterday (bottom). This project began three years ago, when I purchased a 1973 Oldsmobile Omega (below), and stripped it down to nothing (interior was gutted, driver's seat only, weighed just 2,575 lbs.). Worked on that car until last fall, dropped in a 396ci from a GM Station Wagon, after a few performance modifications it produced a little north of 400hp, she was SCARY fast. Traded it for the Nova, some typical rust issues with the floorboards, but she's a runner and straight as an arrow.

"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens OMEGA1_zpscf7d19ac

"Fireball" Roberts & the Zellwood Mud Hens DSC02143_zpsm2ryfolc
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum