Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded

+3
terjung
hrbaker
bowlingshoeguy
7 posters

Go down

Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Empty Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:59 am

I am curious on opinions of the value and trade value of similar cards (say VG). Obviously a raw Vg tends to go for less than a graded VG. Would you trade a similar common of similar grade raw vs. graded. If not what kind of premium would you attach to the already graded card.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Empty Depends

Post by hrbaker Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:53 pm

..........on how well I know my trading partner. If I am well acquainted and reasonably assured that we both consider the same condition as VG then I would place very little difference in the value either way btw raw and graded. Now my trading partner might not see it the same way especially if they were holding the slabbed card.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Empty Re: Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded

Post by terjung Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:34 pm

As Jeff said, some of it depends on the trading partner. More of it depends on the issue being considered and what level, though. Scans are crucial, but many times do not pick up small creases. If a card is extremely scarce, it is all about eye appeal and actually finding the card, so you may have to take what you can get - graded or not.

For really tough issues, grading is more about authenticity than it is about the number on the flip. Another issue is the price of the card. I may be more likely to take a risk with a $10 card vs. a $1000 card.

If you are talking about a commonly found card...like a '33 Goudey in a PSA 3 vs. the same card raw, then the premium depends on how I am collecting them. If I am going to break it out and put it into a binder, then there is no premium. If I'm not, then I might spend an extra couple of bucks for the graded one (if I was planning on getting it graded anyway). For a VG level on a common issue, again, it is all about authenticity and another opinion that it hasn't been altered.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:01 pm

I usually consider a couple of things when considering raw cards (when I know I want them graded eventually). The first in all cases is grading costs, including the fee and shipping both ways. This will likely work out for most cards to be between $10-$25, though it could be significantly more for very expensive cards.

The second is more important if I can't closely examine the raw card in hand. I such cases I usually mentally grade/price the card down one level. So if the card "might" be VG, I assume it is G. Of course, that can foil many deals where the owner of the raw card wants a VG price.

One option I have not used is, if you know the guy decently well, you can make some kind of contingency. Like: I'll trade you on the assumed basis that your card is VG, but I'm submitting it to SGC and if it comes back G, you send me back $X. I always thought that seemed like a fair way to handle something like that.

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:05 am

just had a first for me...

sent a card into sgc. as some of you know when you log in to check, before the grade pops/ships you can check the pop report to see how your cards did. yesterday the pop shows the card was a 20, today when it ships/pops it came out a 10 (pop report also changed back). probably cost me $500-$600...but otherwise happy thanksgiving huh mallet

the lesson is...go with the 1-day express tier so they won't have time to change their minds!
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:14 am

Quan I've had that happen to me on several occasions as well. I've often wondered if they have a revue process
in place and it simply get's changed if it doesn't pass the criteria second time around. question
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:18 am

It is my understanding that they do have a review process. I know of at least one other card that went from a numerical grade to an authentic based on that second/final review... before it was ever released to the client.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:27 am

alright thanks guys...good to know it's not a unique case. is it always review "down" or have you guys seen bumps also? i thought my card was 50/50 on the 20 (have seen worse cards in 20 holders).
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:16 am

Everytime down for me Quan. Never up.....
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:46 am

Quan, scan please.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:54 am

pro9 wrote:Quan, scan please.

it's the e94 cobb. also attached is an e93 joss 20 i currently own that was part of the recent batch on ebay where many of the 20s and 30s were in the same condition.

also i'm not upset the card didn't ultimately get a 20...just the play on emotion as yesterday you're pumped about the 20 and then letdown today as you're **squeezing** out the grades and it's a 10 (is it weird when checking psa/sgc grades that i cover the screen with my hand and "squeeze" out 1 grade/card at a time? imo that's like half the fun of submitting right there)

Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded E94cobbTrades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Cobbb-1

Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded E93jossTrades & Value: Raw vs. Graded E93jossb

Last edited by cccc on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:59 am

Hijack, Quan must not have got the full body search and scan. nono

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:08 am

bowlingshoeguy wrote:Hijack, Quan must not have got the full body search and scan. nono

Lee

ha, you could be right lee. i shoulda submitted before those new searches went into effect. heard from a few people those new tsa searches aren't fun at all...
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:59 am

I agree, could have gone either way. I'd try again with SGC or try PSA now that they have half grades. Even better could be to submit it onsite at the National.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Trades & Value: Raw vs. Graded Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down