Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much paper loss = AUT?

+3
terjung
BigGuy219
fisherboy7
7 posters

Go down

How much paper loss = AUT? Empty How much paper loss = AUT?

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:19 am

Quick grading question: how much paper loss on the back of a card does there need to be in order to receive an AUT from SGC/PSA? Will SGC give a numerical grade to a card with, let's say, 35% paper loss on the back? Do SGC/PSA have the same grading standards when it comes to paper loss?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
How much paper loss = AUT? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100How much paper loss = AUT? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

How much paper loss = AUT? Empty Re: How much paper loss = AUT?

Post by BigGuy219 Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:26 am

I don't have a scan handy, Ben, but my AB back T206 Speaker had almost all of the back lost (including the entire advertisement) and to my great surprise got an SGC 10.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
How much paper loss = AUT? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100How much paper loss = AUT? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:52 am

If you are just talking about paper loss to the back surface of the card, it shouldn't get dinged beyond SGC 10. In the past, they would give the "A" if enough of the card was missing (all the way through), but if it is a complete card with just back damage - regardless of how severe, I think it can still get a 10.

The only caveat I can think of is if it is a photo that is mounted on something and that portion on which it is mounted is gone, it'd probably get an "A", but there again, that would result in a part of the entire card being missing (like the mount / border of a W600 for example). I don't know enough about how OJs were mounted, but they might be a second example.

Regardless, paper loss (similar to being ripped out of an album) shouldn't get an "A" from SGC. Brian D. may correct me on that, but that is my understanding. (I can't speak to how PSA does it.)
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
How much paper loss = AUT? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100How much paper loss = AUT? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:08 am

Thanks guys. Sounds like my card will have no problem getting a numerical grade. righton
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
How much paper loss = AUT? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100How much paper loss = AUT? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:30 pm

what about corner/chunk missing? what's over the line? seems like sgc has gotten progressively more lenient the last few years. i think i'd be more comfortable paying "authentic" price for the card below than borderline "sgc10".

current goodwin:
How much paper loss = AUT? Lot10a_med
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
How much paper loss = AUT? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100How much paper loss = AUT? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:44 pm

SGC said that there was too much missing from this corner to get an SGC 10.

How much paper loss = AUT? Kottoncobbfront-1
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
How much paper loss = AUT? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100How much paper loss = AUT? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Richard- Don't you also have an AUT E103 Wagner with about as much corner missing (maybe a spot more) as the Jackson above?

I don't mind the missing corners getting a 10...I think it's what they should get if it doesn't affect image...but the inconsistency, as always, really sucks.
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
How much paper loss = AUT? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100How much paper loss = AUT? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Ray - a little more missing than the Jackson.

How much paper loss = AUT? E103wagnerfront

a little bit more than the Wagner:

How much paper loss = AUT? E103mattyfront

a little bit more than the Matty:

How much paper loss = AUT? E103cobbfront

But you gotta take what you can get sometimes naughty
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
How much paper loss = AUT? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100How much paper loss = AUT? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:41 pm

rman444 wrote:

But you gotta take what you can get sometimes naughty

Believe me, I've shuffled my cards in my head at least 11-12 times wondering what I could sell, trade, or borrow to get that Wagner. E103, besides Voskamp's, is the only Wagner I've ever really wanted. Probably won't happen for a long while now, with my new project...

Last edited by rholmes on Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Ray - that's funny. I have 18 people watching the card, by far and away the most number of watchers on any of my items, and I probably get an email about it every couple of weeks. Yet, no one has pulled the trigger.

I don't mind lining up the Wagner, Cobb and Matty and staring at them from time to time. Give me these in collector grade + a car over the same 3 in SGC 50 holders any day!
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:31 am

Here are a couple more "corner missing" SGC 10s.

How much paper loss = AUT? E107%20Kelley%20SGC%2010How much paper loss = AUT? E107%20McGraw%20SGC%2010
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
How much paper loss = AUT? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100How much paper loss = AUT? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:48 am

I think SGC is reasonably consistent with their distinction between an "A" and a 10 on paper loss. If the paper loss cuts into the image part (and not just the border) then the card gets an "A", otherwise a 10. I do have to say, tho, that the Kelley e107 looks pretty marginal, as I would lean towards an "A" with almost all of the name missing. (sorry Brian)

However, I'm not sure how much it really matters price-wise as we can all see the reason for the grade either way and determine the price that we are willing to pay given our own grading preferences. There is no question that in the A/10 grade level there is the largest variation in eye appeal and relative value than any other grade.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:33 pm

pro9 wrote:I think SGC is reasonably consistent with their distinction between an "A" and a 10 on paper loss. If the paper loss cuts into the image part (and not just the border) then the card gets an "A", otherwise a 10. I do have to say, tho, that the Kelley e107 looks pretty marginal, as I would lean towards an "A" with almost all of the name missing. (sorry Brian)

However, I'm not sure how much it really matters price-wise as we can all see the reason for the grade either way and determine the price that we are willing to pay given our own grading preferences. There is no question that in the A/10 grade level there is the largest variation in eye appeal and relative value than any other grade.

No worries, E. The Kelley was in a PSA 1 and crossed to SGC 10, so they both called it a 1. I can see the point about infringement on the border of the picture being borderline. With both of those cards, I wasn't sure whether they would give them an A or a 1 (submitted only once and at different times). I wanted both in SGC slabs regardless, so I didn't give them a minimum grade. Whenever it is an "A", there is always the question of whether something is trimmed or restored or recolored, etc., so I was pleased that they both got a number grade in order to remove that suspicion. If SGC had a designation of why a card received an "A", not only would it be better for clarification purposes, but it would lessen the "A" stigma a touch, I would think.

I second your comment that both with "A" cards and with "1" cards, the appearance and value can vary widely. Granted, I am pleased those 2 cards are in a 10 holder, but they would still hold the same place in my collection if they were in an "A" holder from the corner damage. It's kinda tough to collect some sets in mint condition, ya know?
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:24 pm

This nail victim I bought raw got a 10 to my surprise.

How much paper loss = AUT? 1909-110
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down