Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards

+15
Bosox Blair
pro9
smtjoy
mwieder
rman444
the-illini
bowlingshoeguy
caramelcard
BigGuy219
terjung
ullmandds
rholmes
sabrjay
Bicem
jbonie
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Empty Re: Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards

Post by caramelcard Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:37 am

Richard, I respect your opinion a lot and I would love to own this card and I think that it should be the focal point of the set, but yeah, I think it's overvalued and overhyped. It's not tough to find in my opinion. About 5 years ago it took a big jump after one example brought a huge auction result.

What do you guys think about the D322 Wags? Overpriced right now or underpriced?

caramelcard
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:58 am

caramelcard wrote:Richard, I respect your opinion a lot and I would love to own this card and I think that it should be the focal point of the set, but yeah, I think it's overvalued and overhyped. It's not tough to find in my opinion. About 5 years ago it took a big jump after one example brought a huge auction result.

What do you guys think about the D322 Wags? Overpriced right now or underpriced?

I know which one you are talking about. There was an SGC 60 that sold in Mastro back in 2005 for over $43k, while previous examples were selling in the $20-25k range. That one was an outlier, but it certainly did pull all of the other examples up along with it. I would have said that fair market on a 5 level today is back to around the $20-25k level, but just tonight there was the SGC 50 that sold for $19k.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=111968

I am in the camp that believes that the D322 Wagner is overpriced. In fact, I'd take a Ramly Johnson over a Tip Top Wagner any day Very Happy
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:10 am

I'd prefer the Tip Top Wagner over the Ramly Johnson. I think the Wagner price is justified by the crazy price that the t206 Wagner brings. For the $ the Tip Top is a great place holder in a t206 set.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:27 pm

How could I forget the T205 Matty Cycle 37-1, price goes through the roof because a veteran hobby dealer over embellishes the card. This falls into that category of I'm glad it doesn't excite me,s o I don't have to pay thousands for the card.

My bingo blotter version I use to own:

Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 T205ma10

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:37 pm

If all you wanted was a portrait Wagner to fill a T206 hole, there are far better choices which are at least the same physical dimensions as a T206 and a fraction of the Tip Top price.
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Do people really fill holes in sets with cards from different sets?

See the price on the Legendary t204 Johnson? Gross.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm

rman444 wrote:If all you wanted was a portrait Wagner to fill a T206 hole, there are far better choices which are at least the same physical dimensions as a T206 and a fraction of the Tip Top price.

Like M116 perhaps.

(Though I admit I've never filled a set hole with a card from another set...tempting in one case - I collect the C60 Lacrosse set and I keep coming across the C59 versions of some of the cards I need...they have nearly identical fronts (in all cases identical poses), but the backs are different...but I keep hunting for the C60s.)

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:54 pm

when the hole is a t206 wagner...yea you probably need to at least cover it with something.

t204 wajo is a very cool card, but you can't convince me yet its value equal a d322 wagner in the same condition...so in that sense it's probably overvalued. i would have a hard time picking which i'd rather have. in that same vein the d322 wagner is also overvalued when you compare it to an e104 example. (which i would def. take over a t204 wajo).
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:07 pm

q - and e104 wagner with a nadja back, yes. But an e104 wagner with a blank back?
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:38 pm

obak ten million...way overrated and overpriced. e90-1 joe jax...already mentioned...52 topps mantle...even though i wish i had one! Smile
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Agreed on the Obak Ten Million, Pete. The only thing that card has going for it is a cool name, and it sells for $400-$600 in collector grades.

I also think high grade T206 commons are overrated. The prices on 7's, 8's, and 9's can get pretty nutty.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:38 pm

Then there is the fact that most high grade t206s are trimmed or doctored. A lot of people don't like that.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:55 pm

remember when t208s only had a few examples as late as 5-6 years ago? and a common beater would command the same price as an e107 hof'er. oh wait is that still the case today? if so i'd go with t208s.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:46 pm

don't make me give you a paper cut...with my t208 strunk! Shocked
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Empty E222 AWH Caramels

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:08 pm

I think AWH Caramels are overrated. They are very tough and popular with veteran or advanced collectors.
Tim Cathey did some great research and an article in Old Cardboard and anybody ready to lay down several k on one of these should read the article first.
I would have put up large for one before I read about them. I would still like to have one but its not top on my want list any more.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:18 pm

Hey Jim, interesting post. If you don't mind my asking, what did you read in Tim's AWH article that made you change your mind about them?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:48 pm

T206 Wagner-Great card but pricing is out of line with reality
Joe Jackson cards-Great player but no Rogers Hornsby yet compare the prices
M101-4/5 Ruth-One of the more common cards in the set

Jay
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:34 pm

Ben

You should read the article-Tim did a wonderful job-nobody even knew what AWH stood for until Tim told every one.

any way the AWH cards are probably the first reprints of 206 cards that were ever made. Yes actual reprints of probably the most reprinted set there is. That is why they are always out of focus or bad registration. I am so glad he shared his information-saved me 3k.

Don't get me wrong though, I would still like to ad one to my collection as they are tougher than most tough t issues. I would still put up heavy coin for one or give great trade bait but not 3k worth and that is what I was once very close to paying.

the article is in the recent Old Carboard.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Most OVERVALUED Pre-WWI Cards - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:43 pm

wow, very interesting...i gotta get my hands on a copy
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks Jim, I'm definitely gonna have to get my hands on that AWH article as well. Very intriguing. Tim is a true student of the hobby and I'm sure he did a great job on the article.

As far as overrated sets....I'm gonna throw E103 into the mix. Not sure if they're still selling like they used to, but at one point people were paying upwards of several hundred for vg commons from the set.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:35 pm

does OC not deliver to Canada? I'm kinda shocked that you don't have a subscription Ben!
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:38 pm

They do Jeff....but I don't live in Canada anymore!! It can take months and months for stuff to ship to the DR....and you're lucky if it even arrives in the first place.

frustrated
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:08 pm

ah gotcha, didn't realize that your move to the DR was long term.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2