Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX?

4 posters

Go down

What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Empty What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX?

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:54 am

I was curious what the thought were of putting together an unaltered raw set (especiallyT206) in EX condition or better without buying graded cards?

I personally think if would be extremely difficult because so many of the higher grades have been slabbed. I think your best chance is a collector breaks up a set for resale.

The T206s tend to have too many altered cards that look high grade and unless you buy them through an auction house or a private sale from a buyer you trust, it is really tough to be high grade cards raw with confidence they are unaltered.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Empty Re: What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX?

Post by pro9 Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:10 am

Lee, good thing I trust you.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Empty Re: What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX?

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:31 am

Elliott, That is such a good point trusting someone you are buying from, I have between 15-20 T206s that have been altered and all were but as unaltered but later determined they were altered. I really do not know what to do with them , don't mind them in my collection but don't like the idea of selling them even noting the fact they are altered for the fear they will end up back on the market as unaltered. Even those of us that have experience in these issues have cards that get by us.

My best advise to all is to make sure you know who you are buying from when buying raw cards.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:52 am

I do not believe that an unaltered t206 set can currently be assembled (graded or not).
The only chance would to buy a set which has been out of the hobby for quite a while.
I also do not think that this opinion only relates to t-206. This is because far too many cards have been enhanced over the past decades.
I wonder what percentage of altered cards Kevin estimates would get by him, if he was only allowed as much time to view them as the typical grader is permitted.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Unless you started on this set (doesn't mater which one) at least 10 years ago, there is pretty much no hope of putting together an Ex set unless it's a new find to the hobby. As was pointed out. There is just too much money to be left on the table without getting a potentially Ex card slabbed. Isn't that the first thing makes any of us suspicious of a nice, the fact that it isn't slabbed?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What is the Possiblility of Putting Together raw sets in EX? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down