Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland

+3
cmoking
Jim Rivera cfc1909
r337man
7 posters

Go down

NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Empty NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland

Post by r337man Sun May 10, 2009 2:00 am

How about something nice and positive to lighten up the boards a bit?? Pop and I went to this 422 card tobacco find that was actually discovered about 20 years ago but has stayed in the family as they were not ready to sell back then. This is a great find because I even left with a picture of the gentleman who actually pulled these from the packs in 1910 and 1911 !! He was born in 1898 and must have started smoking at the ripe age of 13.

The collection consists of all Piedmont backs and all T205's and T206's. There was nothing rare but had a nice percentage of Hall of Famers. Now for the real nice part and see the pictures below. Not all but MANY of these puppies were removed from their packs and not touched since! There are some blazers here folks. If I didn't have the provenance I wouldn't have believed these weren't trimmed.

Pop gets all of the credit for the initial find many years ago and for staying in contact with the family over the years and coming along today and allowing me to buy him lunch. He had a $6 per diem today.

The T205 Richie is the only non-Piedmont and is a green Broadleaf.

WOW! the rush of a fresh to the hobby find is a feeling I can't describe. But it is a feeling that I am going to take the liberty of wishing on all of you fellow collectors. Dan Mckee.

NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland A-tfind001
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Empty Re: NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Sun May 10, 2009 2:34 am

good job Dano and Pops. Wow killer cards. I also would have probably said some look trimmed but it is great to know their background and know for sure they are not trimmed.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Empty Re: NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland

Post by cmoking Sun May 10, 2009 2:41 am

Congrats. For every "finder", there is a person leaving money on the table. Its a zero sum game after the full value of the cards are taken into account.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Sun May 10, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks for sharing !
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun May 10, 2009 2:55 pm

A green Broadleaf? Can we see a scan of that?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun May 10, 2009 3:12 pm

Green Broadleaf is a tough, tough back that you don't hear much about. I'd think most scarcity rankings would have it as the #3 toughest t205 back, right behind Drum and Hindu.

Great haul Dan, and congrats on the long awaited find. Those cards are stunning.

Last edited by fisherboy7 on Sun May 10, 2009 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Sun May 10, 2009 3:14 pm

The T205 BL's come in green and brown, sure I will try to post tonight, dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon May 11, 2009 12:57 am

T205 BL acquired and my 2 back variations from my set.

NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Blt205001
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon May 11, 2009 12:58 am

Hard to see in the scan but the one on the left is the more common brown.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Tue May 12, 2009 6:19 pm

Dan, Are you planning on sending them for grading? I am curious if some of those T206s would grade. I think almost everyone would say from the scans that the Matty and Johnson were probably trimmed.

What is your theory as to why there are the Broadleafs? Was it a more expensive brand that maybe the owner was giving himself a treat.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100NEWLY Discovered Tobacco Card find Brunswick Maryland Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 pm

I agree Lee, I thought the Matty looked weird but it is w/o a doubt pulled from a pack like that. I am keeping the collection intact for people to see at the National and possibly Philly. I will submit a bunch eventually and we all know just because PSA says something is trimmed doesn't mean it is trimmed. I know for a fact 100% that this card was pulled from a pack like this. Factory cut no question. But I agree, that was the first thing I thought when I saw it.

There was only 1 Broadleaf in the entire group, the other 2 pictured came out of my T205 set. I am going to guess that the store was out of Piedmont that day and he had to buy another brand, just a guess. Your guess is just as good or even better than mine.

Very neat single original owner collection that I will keep intact with provenance for collectors to view at the National and probably the next Philly show as well.

Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down