Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN"

+5
crazylocomerk
cccc
nolemmings
ItsOnlyGil
Square_Frame_Ramly
9 posters

Go down

MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Empty MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN"

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:48 am

I have a chance to purchase this E94 Moore....many collectors say they are fakes. Any opinions.

MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" 12289610

MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" 12289611
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Empty Re: MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN"

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:09 pm

DRCycleback.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Empty Go for it!

Post by nolemmings Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:57 pm

Easy for me to say, as it's not my money, but I think it's real.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:44 pm

mark i'm gonna go against the crowd (and with todd) on this one and say it's likely real....if the guy has 7 more you should swoop them all up. The e94 stamp is much more elaborate/harder to fake and if the story checks out it should be ok. This is the reason we were all saying to stay away from back stamps...it's a fustercluck.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Empty Quan...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:51 pm

SGC will review the card in question. I asked the seller to send me scans of the 7 cards but i have not heard from him. I would love to know what the others look like and if font and color are same.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:18 pm

Seems like a lot people emailed him about that card. I think he told me I was up there in line as well.

I think it's real too, and I've always wanted one of these overprints. If you do get it after SGC's verdict and it is legit, then you did good!

And if you get scans of any of the other 7 overprints, would you post the pics here?
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Empty Eric...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:25 pm

MR Holdings emailed me last night with scans and i assume in his email that i was first. I emailed him back but no response yet and i doubt i will get one. I did ask, if it comes back from SGC and they say its real then i should be able to buy it for $1,000 but i am not holding my breath on that.

If SGC determines the card is fake i think they destroy it. sweat

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:05 pm

I'm not sure I understand...SGC already authenticated/graded this. But you are having them review their own earlier judgment? Maybe I don't understand.

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Empty Blair...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:12 pm

SGC was informed that this overprint may be a fake since only 1 "Oh You Fan!" is known to exist and it looks nothing like the one known. That in itself does not make it fake but the color and font are way different than what they are known for. Of course there is a possability it is real but SGC wants to take a look again because it looks bad for a grading company to slab a rare fake stamp like this one.

How they determine if its real or fake by looking at it again is any ones guess.

I hope we hear the outcome.

Mark

Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:00 pm

I've been preaching since the early 80s that these overprints ripe for scam artists. There is no way to prove whether a stamp is real or fake and even if the original stamp was found, aka Toy Town stamp, there isn't a cheap way to tell when or if the stamp was vintage or done recently.

I've seen a scans of the Old Put and Oh You Fan and they look bad. The Old Put is really terrible. It's not even close to looking good.

The problem I've had with the Oh You Fan card since it appeared is, how do you know the stamp in vintage since it is the only one known to exist? Now another example comes along and the font, size and spacing are different. Is this a real one and the other a fake? What's to stop someone from creating a stamp with Close Candy logo and baseball related slogan, stamp an e94 and claim a new overprint find?

These cards are no more valuable than a card with a Toy Town stamp of the stamp a person on the back. And I wish there was a premium for person names on the back since the value of my Thorpe would go through the roof.

My advice, save your money for a card that will hold it's value. It's only a matter of time before the bottom falls out of the market for these overhyped overprints.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:02 pm

i agree with jay, but i think mark will be flipping it pronto if sgc deems it authentic(?) and he can get it at the original price.

with the e94 stamps i'm not even sure what's real and what's fake anymore. there's no uniformity card to card, ad to ad. you can make a slight variation here and there and it'd be impossible to prove one way or another. at least with the old puts we've only seen 1 type of stamp...any deviation and it's probably fake.

oh yea i'd also wouldn't put too much weight on sgc opinion either, they probably know less than some collectors on this issue. only advantage they have is they can see it in person.

Last edited by cccc on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:15 pm

Square_Frame_Ramly wrote:SGC was informed that this overprint may be a fake since only 1 "Oh You Fan!" is known to exist and it looks nothing like the one known. That in itself does not make it fake but the color and font are way different than what they are known for. Of course there is a possability it is real but SGC wants to take a look again because it looks bad for a grading company to slab a rare fake stamp like this one.

Thanks for this Mark - now I understand the issue!

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:27 pm

Another thing I noticed about this new overprint, all Close Candy overprints I've seen have the bottom of the stamp on the side of the card where the checklist starts. This new card has the stamp flipped.

I really need to go to local stamping store and see how hard they think it would be to duplicate one of these

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Empty Jay...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:31 pm

Great point....i did not notice that.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:30 pm

so much for theory of all Geo Close stamps being oriented the same way. I was shown two examples where the stamp is the other direction on cards that are considered legit.

I've also heard that some think that these stamps were part of the printing process. I just can't see that. It means tooling a whole new plate for the stamps. If that were the case, these overprints should be much more common. Given the rarity, it just doesn't make sense that a plate was created to do these over prints. It would have been far faster and cheaper to just to make the stamp and stamp them by hand.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:38 pm

There also wouldn't be any variability in the rotation / location if it were actually part of the printing process. Many stamps also show darker areas and lighter areas (as from uneven hand stamping). Others have shown evidence of a second strike. I don't see them being part of a printing process either.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:47 pm

Huge discussion on Net54 about these. I believe SGC is reevaluating this one as I speak. I would like to have it in hand raw to make a determination. I have read arguments from both sides and could go either way. Dan.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100MR Holdings E94 Moore "Oh YOU FAN" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down