Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Orange Border Cards

4 posters

Go down

Orange Border Cards Empty Orange Border Cards

Post by arandy Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:54 pm

The t213 thread got me thinking about sets that I don't know a lot of information about. One set that came to mind was the orange border set. I had a few questions I hope the forum could answer for me.

1. Did the ACC ever give this set a name?
2. Where did these cards come from?
3. How much does a common usually sell for?
4. What are the rare cards in the set?

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Orange Border Cards Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Orange Border Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Orange Border Cards Empty Re: Orange Border Cards

Post by crazylocomerk Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:48 pm

Randy brings up a good discussion.

I know nothing about this set and would also like to know about it. Maybe pick up one for a type card.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Orange Border Cards Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Orange Border Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Orange Border Cards Empty I'll get us started....

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:37 am

1. Did the ACC ever give this set a name?
Orange borders are not ACC cataloged to date, so no. They are commonly referred to as "e-unc".
2. Where did these cards come from?
They came from a candy box labeled "American Sports Candy And Jewelry" on the side flaps, and "Guaranteed by Geo. Davis Co. Inc" on the bottom flap. The front of the boxes featured an individual player, and the back featured either the National League Champion Pirates team, or the American League Champion Tigers team.

Because every box contains one of the two teams, we know that the team cards are much more common than the individual players. It says on the top that there are 144 players in the set, but there aren't nearly that many players checklisted. There are inevitably a bunch of uncatalogued players still waiting to be uncovered.

Orange Border Cards Orangeborderbox

3. How much does a common usually sell for?
All over the map. Cards with the full border intact will sell for a premium; many are cut to the photo frame. I've seen low grade team cards sell in the $250-400 range. HOFers in decent shape are very expensive, full bordered Cobb Wagner and Matty Orange Borders are gonna cost a ton. They don't come up often so it's tough to give exact figures.
4. What are the rare cards in the set?
As I said, the team cards are by far the easiest to come by, but beyond those, they're all extremely tough. I haven't heard anything about particular cards being tougher than others, and I don't believe that to be the case.

We had an interesting discussion a while ago about the Orange Border Niles card, which I still own. Here's the link to that thread.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Orange Border Cards Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Orange Border Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:21 am

Great info. Thanks Ben!
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Orange Border Cards Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Orange Border Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:34 am

Um, what Ben said beer

Seriously though, nice on-point answer Ben. I always liked these cards for some reason.

AndyH
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Orange Border Cards Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Orange Border Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Thanks Ben. For a second I thought that the nobody on the board knew anything about these cards. They're an interesting set.

righton -Randy

Last edited by arandy on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Orange Border Cards Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Orange Border Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:54 pm

No problem guys. I'd welcome any additional info, scans, or speculations people have on the set as well. There's still plenty of mystery surrounding the Orange Borders, considering that there could be 144 different players out there (judging by the advertisement on the box), but only 30 or so have been checklisted to date.

There was a bunch of them auctioned within the past year or so, can't remember which auction house it was though. It included several HOFers which I had never seen before, like Joss. Most if not all were trimmed right to the edge of the photo which was a bummer, but it was still pretty cool to see all the cards.

Here's a scan that Dan Mckee posted in the other thread containing the Cobb, Wagner, Speaker, Mcgraw, and Doyle cards:

Orange Border Cards Oranges001
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Orange Border Cards Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Orange Border Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down