Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stats don't appear to match player's reputation

4 posters

Go down

Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Empty Stats don't appear to match player's reputation

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:13 am

This observation has been expressed by many regarding Wagner.

One who I looking more carefully at is:
Herman Long

Whose baseball Library and other write ups follow this line .

With a powerful arm, a quick release, and outstanding range, speed, and agility, Long played shortstop, according to the Boston Globe, "like a man on a flying trapeze." He joined Fred Tenney, Bobby Lowe, and Jimmy Collins in the Braves' (then called the Beaneaters) infield that was probably the best of the 19th century. His career chances-per-game (6.4) tops all shortstops.

Yet the stats indicate that Long was the last player in history to commit 100 or more errors in a season (in 1893), and did it several times, including the single season record of 122 errors in 1889.

Which players come to mind as "their reputation does not seem to match their performance"

?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Empty Re: Stats don't appear to match player's reputation

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:24 am

With great range comes more chances to commit more errors. Perfect example

SS A plays 21 years, has 225 errors
SS B plays 19 years, has 281 errors

Who do you think is the better SS?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Empty Re: Stats don't appear to match player's reputation

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:39 am

sabrjay wrote:With great range comes more chances to commit more errors. Perfect example

SS A plays 21 years, has 225 errors
SS B plays 19 years, has 281 errors

Who do you think is the better SS?

Jay

Player B....Ozzie Smith Question
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:42 am

Correct
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:42 am

I was fortunate enough to see Ozzie (when he was with St. Louis) play the Reds in Cincy - it was fun watching him do his flips before the game. bananarama

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:44 am

Greatest defensive SS of all time, imo.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:50 am

The other SS is Cal Ripken. I'd take The Oz over Ripken any day. Just think how many more base hits he saved his teams than the lead footed Ripken. Ozzie got to balls that Ripken wouldn't have a chance of making an error on.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:29 am

Bunch-a-sissies, if you ask me.
Real men don't field with gloves !

transform
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Stats don't appear to match player's reputation Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:11 am

But seriously, this thread got thrown off of the main board because I hadn't yet pointed out the card connection. And I rarely have time to research a subject anymore without a card connection.

Of course with Long, there are two main card options.
His OJ coincides best with him setting the all time error record in 1889, and his Mayo most closely approximates the date of his last 100 error season. But there is also a Breisch-Williams, and reason to choose that.

Now I wish that I was a man of sufficient means to obtain both the Mayo and the OJ, but I will "settle" for the Mayo which I prefer. However, in my imagining this is a two player set. And the second player, Gochnauer, is only available in the e107; which then constitutes the reason to obtain both from that set.

Gochnauer lasted two seasons in the big leagues. He was a no hit/no field type of player, but he was very consistent. His batting line included:

year........doubles........triples.........home runs.........batting average

But in his second year, he more than doubled his error production, setting the 20th Century record at 98, and ending his career.

But most likely I will never get one of these cards (I have seen a scan of a vg/ex Gochnauer). If I see one, I will buy it. It is on that list. But until I have that player, I will not move on the Long. For me, it is a two player "set".
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down