Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move?

+6
Sixtofan
sabrjay
crazylocomerk
ItsOnlyGil
BigGuy219
fisherboy7
10 posters

Go down

Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Empty Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move?

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:04 am

Mine was several years ago when I passed on a trade offer that had me getting a decent E107 Mcgraw. frustrated

The card I would have given up was a Standard Biscuit Ruth with about a thousand creases in it.

How 'bout you?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Empty Re: Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move?

Post by BigGuy219 Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:43 am

At the 2003 National in Atlantic City I was purchasing a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth. The dealer wanted to move the card and was willing to work with me and we discussed several other cards to go with it. I mentioned that I was a big fan of Nap Lajoie and he offered me a phenomenal deal on a Cracker Jack Lajoie if I bought that and the Ruth. My mother, who was with me, pointed out that I already had three Lajoies and didn't see the point of a fourth. It was a lot of money I was spending and I had been walking around for a long time and was both nervous and tired. Below the Lajoie I saw the name Walsh and ASSUMED that it was Hall of Famer Ed Walsh. When it said Philadelphia on the front I didn't question it, because I had confused Ed Walsh (who played for Chicago) and Eddie Plank (who played for Philadelphia) and chose the Walsh over the Lajoie. I ended up with James C. Walsh instead of one of my favorite players, Nap Lajoie. Oh well!
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Empty Re: Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:01 pm

My stooopidest hobby move is my failure to make a move on this hobby.
I have been watching it since well before grading, it is about time that I got the idea that these things are doing better over the long haul than tradfitional investment options.
Yet every day I refuse to buy even one four figure card.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:50 pm

Investment into E107s mallet

I'm sure they will rebound somewhat in the future, but to sell them now to free up some funds will require me to take HUGE losses.

Doh! banana hump banana hump banana hump banana hump banana hump banana hump banana hump banana hump banana hump banana hump banana hump
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:34 pm

selling my 6 t208 Firesides when I sold my collection in 1991

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Empty Stupid Stupid Stupid

Post by Sixtofan Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:15 am

In my early days of buying vintage cards online- I bought a very fake 41 Playball J DiMaggio card. I knew it didn't look right but bought it anyway. Never got all my money back, wound up getting my paypal account closed etc etc etc

Sixtofan
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Tatum Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:50 pm

I SOLD DOUG ALLEN A CARD I BOUGHT FROM MARSHALL FOGEL FOR $400 DOUG SOLD TO TERRY KNOUSE FOR $600 TERRY SOLD FOR $35,000! A T-206* NON COMMON FOR SURE!

Art Tatum
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:40 am

Art Tatum wrote:I SOLD DOUG ALLEN A CARD I BOUGHT FROM MARSHALL FOGEL FOR $400 DOUG SOLD TO TERRY KNOUSE FOR $600 TERRY SOLD FOR $35,000! A T-206* NON COMMON FOR SURE!

Cobb/Cobb back?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:52 am

Wow! Is all I can say to that.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Amazing. What card are you talking about, Art? Cobb w/ Cobb? Plank?
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:
The card I would have given up was a Standard Biscuit Ruth with about a thousand creases in it.

How 'bout you?

Ben - what year was the Ruth? The M101 type, E135 type or E121 type?
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:33 pm

rman444 wrote:Ben - what year was the Ruth? The M101 type, E135 type or E121 type?

It was the E135 type, Richard. 1917.

It was a cool card and I really liked having a Ruth in a Red Sox uniform. Wish I saved the scan - it was a true beater with plenty of character. Still, if I could have a do over, I'd choose the Mcgraw E107 instead.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:08 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:
rman444 wrote:Ben - what year was the Ruth? The M101 type, E135 type or E121 type?

It was the E135 type, Richard. 1917.

It was a cool card and I really liked having a Ruth in a Red Sox uniform. Wish I saved the scan - it was a true beater with plenty of character. Still, if I could have a do over, I'd choose the Mcgraw E107 instead.

Wow! That is only the 2nd one I have ever heard that exists!
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:22 pm

selling my collection to try and save my marriage. I don't recommend that move to any of you that are married. I had lots of cards that I will never own again unless I win the lottery.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:33 am

jay a hedge fund guy can marry 4-5 times these days before he sees 6 firesides to buy imo. very bad trade-off there Smile

fwiw i've seen 2-3 t208s available in the last 8 years? a psa4 baker in rea and another common or 2 on ebay.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Duhh.....what's your stupidest hobby move? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:27 am

rman444 wrote:Wow! That is only the 2nd one I have ever heard that exists!

I didn't realize it was so scarce. Oh well. The current owner is a longtime collector who appreciates it very much so I'm at peace with it. Surprised
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum