Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One of the more intense trade cards of the 1800s, has been s

Go down

One of the more intense trade cards of the 1800s, has been s Empty One of the more intense trade cards of the 1800s, has been s

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:08 pm

by the US Postal Service for the creation of a postage stamp. This card, called National League Chew depicts a rugged looking player rolling up his sleeves :: insert scan here ::
Inappropriately, this macho image has been selected to commemorate the "Take me out to the ballgame" song, penned by a composer in 1908 who had never witnessed a game of baseball (not even on TV).
In any case, the card will be modified to include the "Take me out ..." in place of the National League Chew; then miniturized to stamp size and issued. As a part of the issuance process, this card will be released as a First Day Cover. As such its format may include placing it on a postcard, cancelling it, and mailing it to those who have ordered it. It is the 100th anniversary of the generation of that song.
My question is:
Since the only devices on this postcard are your address and the stamp, and the stamp is a baseball theme, some will consider it a baseball card. At best, it could be a modern card commemorating a pre-war occurance (the composition of a baseball song), using a legitimate pre-war trade card as its origin.
So, is the resultant product a baseball card?

?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
One of the more intense trade cards of the 1800s, has been s Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100One of the more intense trade cards of the 1800s, has been s Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down