Cards of Jackson, Wagner, Mantle, and others draw prices

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cards of Jackson, Wagner, Mantle, and others draw prices

Post by ItsOnlyGil on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:12 pm

disproportionate with their contribution to the game, as identified by their statistics; and in the case of Mantle, also measured by my observation of his career. By comparison, the cards of Hornsby, O'Doul and at least a dozen deserving 19th century players do not get the recognition which their statistics and history indicate that they are due.

Certainly, I do not contend that Jackson, Wagner, Mantle and others were not important contributors to their teams. I am solely stating that their popularity is not explainable based on the information available regarding their performance.

Do you think that the popularity of these players may shift with time, and others may come into the "limelight"? I hope so.
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
2 / 1002 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cards of Jackson, Wagner, Mantle, and others draw prices

Post by sabrjay on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:35 pm

The legends of Jackson, Wagner, Cobb etc are cemented and interest will always be there. Mantle gets the prices he does because the people that saw him play and were fans of his spend lots of moeny to get his cards. I'm not sure if those prices will be sustained once everyone that watched him play is gone. He doesn't have the legend to carry his prices forward. To me, Mays has more legend to his legacy than Mantle does and it's possible you may see his prices rise decades from now while Mantle flatlines or declines a bit relative to his currnet peak.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. When I do this at home I get arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

View user profile http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

I'd have to disagree with that Jay

Post by nolemmings on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:25 am

I believe that Mantle enjoys the greatest legendary status of anyone who's played in the last 50 years, approached only by Koufax. Such status transcends his numbers, as noted. Far too many years have passed since his playing days for that legend to die out now; in fact, it may even grow as grandkids of those who saw him play recall skewed and romanticized tales passed down by their forefathers as to how great he was. Mickey's star ain't burning out any time soon.

Hornsby's status could improve, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Great as he was, I would think Jackie Robinson's status still has room for positive growth. As for deadball era guys, if they aren't legendary now, they won't be later.
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cards of Jackson, Wagner, Mantle, and others draw prices

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top