Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jimmy Claxton article

2 posters

Go down

Jimmy Claxton article Empty Jimmy Claxton article

Post by sabrjay Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:35 pm

A new image of Claxton

Claxton article
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Jimmy Claxton article Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Jimmy Claxton article Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Jimmy Claxton article Empty Re: Jimmy Claxton article

Post by pariah1107 Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:00 am

Awesome image of the 1914 Hubbard Giants, and very well written article by John Thorn. I will add: This is the third different image of this team, but the first RPPC I have seen. Another image of this team is in Portland's Rutherford Collection. Many of these players were on West Coast teams with Claxton for years; the Brown brothers were from Pasco Washington, and teammates on the 1916 Oakland Lynne Stanley Giants, 1919-20 Shasta Limiteds, and the 1920 Godfrey All-Stars. Hubbard Giants catcher Couver was also pictured on an April 2, 1916 Oakland Tribune article about Claxton after a 23 strikeout performance versus Waseda University of Japan.

The title "Champion Colored Team of the Pacific Northwest" may have been very real, as I've seen one other reference to a "Northwest colored championship game" between Tacoma's Bradley & Chastain Giants v. Seattle Dewdrops May 27, 1917 (Tacoma Daily Ledger). The game followed a Northwestern League tilt between Tacoma and Butte.

Great image, and reclamation of Northwest history, well done John and Brian!
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Jimmy Claxton article Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Jimmy Claxton article Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down