Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Port in the S#$% Storm

+3
jbonie
LucasRiley
pariah1107
7 posters

Go down

Port in the S#$% Storm Empty Port in the S#$% Storm

Post by pariah1107 Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Just wanted to say thank you Full Count, for being a safe harbor in the storm of baseball card forums. While there are sometimes days between new posts, at least threads are not pointless platforms for shameless self-promotion or worse, ugly mud-slinging for public consumption.  

I have found my time here to be very informative, and the members a pleasant, supportive group free from drama. While I have not participated in the B/S/T side of the board often, transactions with individuals on the board have always been excellent; whether Jay's sauce or consignments with Lee. So, a heartfelt thank you to FC & all members here.

Respectfully, Ty
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Port in the S#$% Storm Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Port in the S#$% Storm Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Port in the S#$% Storm Empty Re: Port in the S#$% Storm

Post by LucasRiley Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:27 am

I can second that. I've been on other baseball card forums, and they often seem largely like marketing mechanisms. There's a lot of genuine and interesting discussion here, and people who truly seem to love the game and talking about it. I'm glad I joined.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Port in the S#$% Storm Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Port in the S#$% Storm Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:36 am

One major reason why this forum is so great is that it is ad-free.  The other forums are motivated by financial interests to some extent, either through banner ads profiting from page views, or because the board is associated with a certain company.

Because there is no profit motive, there is no financial incentive to keep someone around who is needlessly stirring the pot - and likewise, no reason to ban people who are rightfully stirring the pot against a certain company.

The credit for that belongs to Ben and Jay.  This is not to say that the other online communities can't be useful and serve a certain function - they do.  But for a safe place to go to have positive conversations with experienced collectors, Full Count is terrific.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Port in the S#$% Storm Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Port in the S#$% Storm Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks guys!!! But really, contrary to what you read from other mods on other forums, it really isn't that hard to run a forum. Pretty much all we have to do is read the forum. Occasionally someone steps out of line and we will PM them and let them know that what they did/said was inappropriate and they will will change the behavior or they just never come back. Spammers get instabanned. I think we have only had to ban one person that wanted to be an active participant because they weren't able to honor one simple request we made.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Port in the S#$% Storm Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Port in the S#$% Storm Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Hey, thanks for the compliments Ty and everyone else. It has been a pleasure being a part of this community since we started up FC in 2007. We may not have thousands of members and big time traffic, but there is a ton of great info stored away in our database and our members have always been super-helpful in addressing people's questions and concerns. We also have a knack of uncovering some pretty cool finds over the years too!

I also think it's important to keep the forum ad-free for a multitude of reasons (Jamie already stated them, quite eloquently I might add). And we can keep the ads off at a minimal cost (only $25/year). On that note, we just re-upped our ad-free service for another year. I was meaning to do that back in April, but have been off the forum lately with a fairly busy work/personal situation. Glad to be back! You'll be seeing more of me now that I'm on vacation!
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Port in the S#$% Storm Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Port in the S#$% Storm Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:04 pm

free bbq sauce from jay once in awhile wouldn't hurt the morale here tho...

tbh i've never marinaded anything in my life, or even bbq by myself.  do we just rub the sauce onto the meat and leave it overnight jay?  is that how it works?
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Port in the S#$% Storm Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Port in the S#$% Storm Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:42 pm

Easiest way to marinade is put the meat in a zip lock bag, pour a bunch of sauce in and let it sit overnight making sure to turn it over a few times. The other way is to put it in a bowl an cover the piece of meat with sauce. Piercing the meat a bunch of times with a fork will help the sauce penetrate deep into the meat.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Port in the S#$% Storm Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Port in the S#$% Storm Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:02 pm

Okay, our last two threads in the Bullpen have both gone on wild tangents towards BBQ'ing!  I know that it is summer, but fellas, please!  Stay on topic, lol.  nono

Btw, I think if you are in a rush you can get away with marinating for 2-3hrs in the fridge and you will be alright.

If you don't have a grill, I recommend getting a little tiny weber grill for under $50 - you can cook everything on there.  Then get the woodchips from Whole Foods.  The small round grill is best because it centralizes the heat, and then the woodchips give it that smokey flavor.

Just put a little salt, pepper, paprika, thyme and rosemary on the whole chicken and put some tinfoil underneath (to prevent the fat from dripping on the coals to start a fire).  Then take a couple bricks and put one on each side to prop up the lid.

It will be the best chicken you've ever had! (ok, this is not a recipe that involves marinating)

(Oh well, so much for the S@%! Storm thread)bananarama
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:57 am

It's the bullpen. You don't really expect things to stay on topic do you? jocolor
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:05 am

To keep the BBQ topic going my Ghostly Goodness sauce is in the running for the following awards:

Scovies (national awards given for hot sauces):

Best fruit based wing sauce
Best unique recipe wing sauce (basically means no tobasco)

Golden Chile (national award for chili based foods):

Best new product
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:34 am

That's awesome!!!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:35 am

Jay, if you make millions off your BBQ sauce, you've got to buy everybody on here (regular posters, at least) a rare 19th century type card, ok?

I'm putting in an early request for a HOFer... naughty
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:37 am

fisherboy7 wrote:I was meaning to do that back in April, but have been off the forum lately with a fairly busy work/personal situation. Glad to be back! You'll be seeing more of me now that I'm on vacation!

Welcome back, Ben!  Glad you've got some time off... are you still in the DR for the summer?  Or too hot?geek
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:32 am

In Canada for the summer. Will be spending a week in San Francisco for a wedding, etc, and will hopefully pay our old friend Julie a visit in Berkeley too!
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Port in the S#$% Storm Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Port in the S#$% Storm Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:16 am

fisherboy7 wrote:In Canada for the summer. Will be spending a week in San Francisco for a wedding, etc, and will hopefully pay our old friend Julie a visit in Berkeley too!
Rockin!  Ben and others - let me know if any of yous touch down in Beantown!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:15 am

sabrjay wrote:To keep the BBQ topic going my Ghostly Goodness sauce is in the running for the following awards:

Scovies (national awards given for hot sauces):

Best fruit based wing sauce
Best unique recipe wing sauce (basically means no tobasco)

Golden Chile (national award for chili based foods):

Best new product

Congrats on the nominations! Maybe Walmart's "Get on the Shelf" contest next?
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/walmart-competition-gives-entrepreneurs-the-chance-to-get-on-the-shelf-2013-07-01
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Port in the S#$% Storm Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Port in the S#$% Storm Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:33 am

A day with Jay at the BBQ World Series.

Customer: "Mmh...this is pretty good...what is it for?"

Jay: "It's specially for wings...but my wife and I like to sautee vegetables in it!"

Customer: "Really! Hmmmm...I'll take 1 bottle please!!!!!

And...REPEAT!!!!!

ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Port in the S#$% Storm Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Port in the S#$% Storm Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:53 am

Ty, my product will NEVER be found on Wal-Mart shelves. I have more respect for myself and my business. Then there is the fact that I've known a couple of people that have gone through that process. Both were told after successful test runs that they were required to outsource their production overseas and they dictated the price they were going to pay for the product if they wanted to remain on the slef. Both walked away. One of them went on to make even more money after getting off the shelves and becoming a specialty tool maker.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:08 pm

ullmandds wrote:A day with Jay at the BBQ World Series.

Customer:  "Mmh...this is pretty good...what is it for?"

Jay:  "It's specially for wings...but my wife and I like to sautee vegetables in it!"

Customer:  "Really!  Hmmmm...I'll take 1 bottle please!!!!!

And...REPEAT!!!!!

Stir fry sauce isn't sexy, so I tell people it's BBQ sauce to lure them in.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Fourth of July BBQ. Menu: 12 lbs. pork ribs, Baked Beans w/Bacon, Mac Salad w/celery & black olives, 2 halves garlic/parmesan french bread. Tried Jay's new sauce, his tomato based KC on these ribs (only 6 lbs. pictured). Damn! Might be my new favorite... but they're all sooo good. Hope everyone had a safe and happy Fourth.

Port in the S#$% Storm BBQRIBS7-4-13_zps2b6b90f4

Smoked salmon, fettucine alfredo w/shrimp on the menu for Daytona tomorrow.bananarama 
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Shouldn't that sauce on the ribs be looking wet Wink 
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Heh! Smoked, using mesquite chips soaked in PBR. Smoked at 225 for 8 hrs. Brushed on the KC sauce 6 hours into the smoke. Ribs melted like butter, nice and moist, bones removed cleanly with a slight tug. Nice job on the sauce Jay. NASCAR BBQ's started last year with four guys and a case of PBR, now twenty and a pony keg. Local band, The Dogtown Duo, are playing prior to Daytona. Reviews of the sauce are self explanatory. Talk soon about another order.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:51 pm

LMK know soon. Right now, looks like I won't put the KC sauce in production until next year, so what I have now is going to be it until then. Making the stuff myself is a pain and way too messy. Gotta keep Mona happy too by not destroying the the kitchen anymore.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down