Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box

5 posters

Go down

Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Empty Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box

Post by r337man Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:05 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-Leader-Novelty-Candy-co-original-baseball-Stars-BOX-very-rare-/400419018894?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7O3%252B596Ef8NVg6NCW%252Bwptz8wdlE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This is the only known original box to the very rare 1929 Leader Novelty Candy baseball cards. It was listed that the cards were cut off of the back of the box which is ludacris since this picture shows a complete full box with no player card on back and just missing a flap.

The interesting part of this box is that it is factory diecut for whatever reason, running down from top to bottom, left to right, along the edge of the playing field that is pictured. I have no idea why.

Also, there are 4 slits that are perfectly placed to hold all 4 corners of one of these very thin cards.

I am wondering if the baseball card was on the outside of the box with all 4 corners tucked into the slots or if it was on the inside of the box with the corners tucked in and you would have to rip the box badly to get the card out without hurting the card, hence why maybe there are not more of these colorful neat little boxes around.

Naturally this is all just my opinion but I thought I would share it to see what others thought.

Thanks
Dan Mckee
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Empty Re: Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:25 pm

very cool Dan and nice win. By the looks of the box, I can't see where a card was cut from it. Can you post a scan of one of the cards.

I am not familiar with this issue but maybe the cards were inside the box but clearly not cut from the box
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Empty Re: Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box

Post by sabrjay Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Very neat item. Always nice when there is solid evidence about distribution instead of just speculation.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:18 pm

Nice grab Dan.

I don't think the cards were put on the outside of the box--it would have obscured the advertising and artwork that they took the time and trouble to produce. They likely would have put the card on the back if the idea was to keep it on the outside.

It may be that they put it on the inside and then through the slits, and that the die- cut was there for the kid to put a thumb through and gently push the card out into the box, maybe after the candy was gone. Seems like unnecessary work and it would have been better/easier to just let the card rest free inside, but who knows. Also, maybe the slit was for some coupon that accompanied the card and candy, although it looks like the premiums were obtained just by mailing in the boxes themselves (which might also explain why there are so few left). It will be interesting to see how the size of the card measures against the size of the packaging, once you have it in hand.

I know I've posted this before, but here is a later package from the same company that is baseball related--won on ebay for something like 8 bucks.
Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Ldrnoveltywrapper[/img]
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Very cool! I have one of those somewhere I think! 8 bucks, now that was a good deal for sure! I have the box and cards in hand and they line up perfectly (card and slits). I like your idea of the card being inside the box and the die cut allowing the kid to push the card free. That makes good sense to me. Dan.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by oaks1912 Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:28 am

Dan...This is a very cool, and rare box. I also have a complete box. The missing top flap on yours reads "Privilege To Examine Before Purchasing" and the copyright. The diecut front panel would allow the card to be neatly tucked in and the candy would keep the packaging firm and minimize creasing. Along the lines of E-120 & other caramel cards where you could see who you were getting before you bought the product ..

oaks1912
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Mystery of the 1929 Leader Novelty Baseball Cards Box Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Awesome! May I have a scan of my missing flap part? I would truly appreciate that. What about the 4 slits in the box? Does yours have these? thanks Dan.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down