Proper use of there...their...and they're...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Proper use of there...their...and they're...

Post by ullmandds on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:02 pm

For the most part...the members of this board are a pretty smart lot...and this would be more beneficial on the "other" board...but I just thought I'd post it anyway!

There, They're, Their Rules

There

Use there to refer to a physical or abstract place. Usually, if you can replace there with here in the same sentence, and it still makes sense, then you are using it correctly.
Examples

"There is an old haunted house."

"We are going over there to eat."

They're

Use they're as a contraction for they are. Usually, if you can replace they're with they are in the same sentence, and it still makes sense, then you are using it correctly.
Examples

"They're coming over for dinner."

"I wonder who they're talking to."

Their

Use their to show possession, commonly followed by a noun. Usually, if you can replace their with our in the same sentence, and it still makes sense, then you are using it correctly.
Examples

"Their dog is pretty awesome."

"Have you seen their new store?"

LEARN IT PEOPLES!!!! IT'll INSTANTLY ADD CREDIBILITY TO ANYTHING YOU SAY!!!!
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Proper use of there...their...and they're...

Post by Bosox Blair on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:02 pm

Their was no need for this yuck .
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
12 / 10012 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:11 pm

I disagree Blair. Finally everyone can get they're grammar straight! Their have been so many errors from certain posters, I've been finding the forum hard to read lately.

Everyone please save this post to there files for future reference. Razz

Ben
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
36 / 10036 / 100

View user profile http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:12 pm

If they're werent some "butchers"...who didnt know the difference...i wouldnt have had to resort to this...im sorry but its for the best!
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:13 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:I disagree Blair. Finally everyone can get they're grammar straight! Their have been so many errors from certain posters, I've been finding the forum hard to read lately.

Everyone please save this post to there files for future reference. Razz

Your saying you reached you're limit? question
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
12 / 10012 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Pete raises a decent point, however the grammar problems extend far, far beyond this one issue. Yet we must start somewhere...
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:53 pm

feels like i'm back in ESL class, this is racist! don't need a reminder that i flunked that class!!!
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:38 am

Quan, your grammar is better than half of the people who use the board, and they're native English speakers!
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:15 am

tbh, just personal bias but there's something off-putting and disengaging when people can't differentiate their/they're, your/you're, recieve, rediculous. those are common words you probably run across them at least once or twice a week if you read anything. if a flunked ESL student like me finally got it there's no excuse for anybody else.
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m-mac on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 am

Good review. Thanks, but ... ahhh ....

Can't stop myself ... I did not realize the grammar trolls were here ...

No, can't help it ...

Equally usable is the universal use for any of the above, the Chicagoese, "der." Would depend upon the neghborhood, but sounds like "dare." Ahhhrgh. Probably recognizable from the belt from Rochester NY through Milwaukee WI.

"You der, how dare you!"

m-mac
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Interesting perspective m-mac! Don't get me started on regional grammar!!!! I'd much rather someone use "der"...instead of butchering their/they're/there...at the risk of coming across as German(dieter)...or some other silly SNL sketch character.

I realize it is unreasonable of me to expect proper grammar...and after living in MN for almost 13 yrs...I have practically given up.

So if you ever ask me to "borrow me" my hammer...or my pen...or my lawnmower(don't bother because I don't have one)...or a lump of sugar...don't be offended if I don't respond!

And as much as people these days don't want to accept...or realise that the way we speak...and spell...is a direct reflection of our intelligence...our credibility...so be it!

In this internet age...texting age...where use of anachronym has become the norm...anything to make life easier...communications shorter...interactions less...it seems all that matters is getting your point across...no matter how much grammar and the english language is butchered...all in the name of ease.

Might I suggest this regression in communication/grammar...is a microchasm of many problems that ail this country/world at this time. Many have a sense of entitlement, a laziness about them...as if things should be handed to them...for nothing...without even trying?

Every stinkin' kid gets a trophy just for showing up...every kid gets commended/praised just for showing up?! Mediocrity is being praised...deemed ok?!

Just showing up is hardly making an effort...it is hardly "caring".

ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:21 pm

Pete,

I was with you until you took a swipe at Minnesotans. While there are poor users of grammar throughout the land, Minnesota is home to one of the best educated populaces in the U.S., and its students almost perennially score in the top 3 for ACT and SAT exams. I am proud to have received my education there--it's where I learned to spell acronym and microcosm. Smile Believe me as one living in AZ, you do not know how well off you are up North when it comes to proper english.

I agree with the rest of your take, and although I try not to correct people's grammar on a chat board, there are certain pet peeves that drive me to drink (although most anything will drive me to drink). Currently, I find most offensive the "could of, would of, should of" usage. Less troublesome but still annoying is the use of "less" for "fewer"-- Wade Miley did not have less wins than R.A. Dickey, he had fewer wins. I fear it is a losing battle, as it seems from what I have observed of today's youth that the word "like" must be included at least once in every sentence--well, not really "sentence", but the phrases and incomplete thoughts that apparently pass as such.

Just musing for the day, as again I find it rather off-putting to get too harsh with folks on the Internet about the way they communicate. Substance trumps form every time. It's all well good.
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:34 pm

I don't think it's about laziness. Students know how to switch between formal writing and informal abbreviations like the infamous "LOL". It is just an attempt to appear casual to their friends, like a social dialect that distinguishes them from their parents.

Most likely the deficit in grammar stems not from apathy but from schools that have de-emphasized grammar in their instruction because the kids find it boring. That really is pampering them, and in the long run we all suffer for it.

But I must admit that...

THIS WHOLE THREAD IS MAKING ME SELF-CONSCIOUS ABOUT MY OWN GRAMMAR!!! mallet
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Shut her down!!!!!
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:20 pm

I personally like regional dialects and the resultant butchery of the English language in conversation. How many R's are in Wershington? What country-fied aphorism is appropriate for this situation? "They paint the fence pretty but their house is falling down"

I do not like to see colloquialisms in books or newspapers, but have learned to embrace the lack of formality on the net. There there Pete.
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Outside the "stereotype" MN accent from the movie Fargo (people in that area don't talk like that. It's the Iron range that does) MN is a major hunting ground for talking heads on TV. In the industry we have what is known as the Midwest Broadcast Voice. Basically, clear enunciation with no noticeable accent.

I just get a chuckle out of the fact that a "New Yawker" started this thread nahnahnah

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. When I do this at home I get arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

View user profile http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:23 pm

In Boston, people have hat attacks all the time. Some damn mean hats in that area.

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. When I do this at home I get arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:48 pm

The initial post had nothing to do with regional dialects/accents...it has just evolved this way! nahnahnah
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:57 pm

you betcha it did, don'tcha know.

sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:51 pm

sabrjay wrote:In Boston, people have hat attacks all the time. Some damn mean hats in that area.

Not exactly, but it's a nice try. Razz
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top