Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame?

5 posters

Go down

Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame? Empty Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame?

Post by pariah1107 Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:25 am

This years hall of fame vote will undoubtedly lead to one question... Steroids? And so will the next two years. Will Randy Johnsons' (2015) & Ken Griffey Jr.'s (2016) induction happen as it should? Are they actually under suspicion? IMO, no way. If they are inducted with other alleged steroid users will that tarnish their legacies? Would it be right to elect Edgar Martinez the same year as a teammate? More questions than answers....
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame? Empty Re: Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame?

Post by BigGuy219 Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:35 am

I just looked up Randy Johnson to see how his Mariners numbers compared with his D-Backs numbers (where he also won a WS) to see which cap was more likely.

Let me tell you, I am surprised by his post-season numbers.

7-9 3.50 ERA?

He's a HOFer no doubt, but ... not what I was expecting!
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame? Empty Re: Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame?

Post by sabrjay Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Personally, I could care less if player used steroids. They pretty much all were using, so it was an even playing field. If they weren't, then that makes the numbers of those like Fred McGriff even that more impressive. This doesn't mean that McGwire should get in. He is deservedly being ignored because he was a one trick pony and there are all ready too my players int he HOF who all they did was hit HR.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by m-mac Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Once the ballots have a bunch of alleged supplement users, then it will be interesting to see how the writers vote. Eventually, it will be interesting to see how the Vet committeee evaluates these players. The mores of the coming era will have more an impact than our views today. Arguably, Rice took longer to get in because his numbers paled to those put up during the late 90s and early 00s. I wonder if other players once considered borderline will be reevaluated in the coming years more favorably (such as Parker, Oliver, Murphy, Morris, etc)

m-mac
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:17 am

I may be getting off-topic by saying this (and I warn everyone that this is a bit of a rant), but I'm severely annoyed by the hypocrisy of HOF voters who now state so definitively that guys like McGwire, Bonds, and Palmeiro will never get in, when these same men had nothing to say or write or report about steroids while it was happening. From everything I've read, roids weren't a secret. Everybody knew juicing was going on. The stuff was clearly visible in people's lockers. No one said a thing. And the owners... Don't get me started on those a**holes. Turning a blind eye while their profits soared as the home run barrage brought the game and the fans back, then passing judgment once drug use had become a 'story' and deciding quite righteously that they needed to 'clean up' the game (by eradicating the very thing they had so obviously ignored). These guys are on a par with a woman I used to work with; she was the VP's admin assistant, and she regularly stole packs of printer paper from the office. The VP didn't know, and put her in charge of finding the culprit. She promptly stopped stealing the paper, wrote the thefts off to a building maintenance guy who had recently been let go for unrelated reasons, and was given a raise for her devotion to the company. She probably owns a Minor League team somewhere now.

Sorry. I warned you. Mad

As for Johnson and Griffey: I say absolutely. And let the others in, too. The steroid era was what it was. The climate of the time allowed it, it can't be erased, and making judgments about anyone who hasn't admitted their use is an effort in speculation. The Hall is full of men of low character (Cobb, for instance, was a total bastard of a human being). It's full of guys who drank and used drugs. It's full of guys you probably wouldn't wanna hang out with. That doesn't mean they weren't great baseball players, which is all the Hall is designed to recognize. I'm glad roids are being regulated out of the game, but I'm not willing to act as judge and jury on guys who were only doing what the times demanded.

Pardon me while I climb down off my soapbox! Oh, and I highly recommend "How to Steal a Million." It's far from Audrey's best film, but it's good fun and she and O'Toole have good chemistry. Plus, I'd watch her in anything. I'd watch her read the phone book. She was an angel.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Will Mariners inductions redeem the Hall of Fame? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum