Favorite Rookie Cards (Hockey)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Favorite Rookie Cards (Hockey)

Post by fisherboy7 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 am

What are your favorite rookie cards in hockey?

Mine:

1. 1979 OPC Wayne Gretzky - this was my "dream card" as a kid. I always thought of it as unobtainable; spending hundreds on a sports card was inconceivable to me at that time. Regardless, it's a beautifully designed card with a nice shot of a young Gretzky on the cusp of dominating the NHL as a 160 pound teenager.

2. 1966 Topps Bobby Orr - Just a cool looking card. Horizontal, woodgrain tv set frame, portrait shot in the foreground, action in the back. One of my favorite vintage sets, and a sweet rookie card of the greatest defenseman ever.

3. 1955 Parkhurst Jacques Plante - awesome goalie pose, best looking 50's set in my opinion (along with '54 topps). Great looking card of a great goalie.

So what are your faves, hockey collectors?

Ben
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
36 / 10036 / 100

View user profile http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite Rookie Cards (Hockey)

Post by sabrjay on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:28 pm

The Plante card is tough to beat for pose, style, etc.

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. When I do this at home I get arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

View user profile http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Goalie cards kinda rule! I also love the Plante RC, the Ken Dryden RC, and some other goalie RCs like Percy Lesueur's C56 pose. I really like Cyclone Taylor's C56 too.

(BTW, I own none of the cards I listed...hmmmm...looks like the makings of a wantlist...)
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
12 / 10012 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Anything Newsy.
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Bosox Blair wrote:Goalie cards kinda rule! I also love the Plante RC, the Ken Dryden RC, and some other goalie RCs like Percy Lesueur's C56 pose. I really like Cyclone Taylor's C56 too.

(BTW, I own none of the cards I listed...hmmmm...looks like the makings of a wantlist...)

Agreed, goalie cards do rule. Most of Vezina's early stuff is great. Bernie Parent's RC is a nice card. Sawchuk's RC is ok, although I'm not a huge fan of the '51 Parkhurst set (very primitive looking). If I want a nice Sawchuk I'd probably go after his '54 Topps.

Ben
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
36 / 10036 / 100

View user profile http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:53 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:
Bosox Blair wrote:Goalie cards kinda rule! I also love the Plante RC, the Ken Dryden RC, and some other goalie RCs like Percy Lesueur's C56 pose. I really like Cyclone Taylor's C56 too.

Agreed, goalie cards do rule. Most of Vezina's early stuff is great. Bernie Parent's RC is a nice card. Sawchuk's RC is ok, although I'm not a huge fan of the '51 Parkhurst set (very primitive looking). If I want a nice Sawchuk I'd probably go after his '54 Topps.

Agreed about '51 Parkie...don't own any.

I once had the '54 Topps Sawchuk. Bought it when I was a kid from a very reputable dealer. Looked about Nr. Mt. The next day I held the card up to a light and discovered an almost invisible pin hole (more like a needle hole!). He immediately took the card back - I know he was as surprised as I was.

Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
12 / 10012 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top