Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays?

4 posters

Go down

Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Empty Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays?

Post by seablaster Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Let me preface this by saying that as a kid, I loved to fly on airplanes.

I now fly 10-12 times a year and lately I've been getting more and more frustrated with the experience.

My recent trip had me going 1500 miles away from home with a single connection each way. On the way there, I connect through Orlando with Beryl plowing right trough. What was supposed to be a 90 minute delay increased incrementally to a 4 hour delay.

On the way back the connection is through Chicago Midway. The weather is perfect when we are landing, so we are good to go I think. I turn on the phone and have the automated message from Southwest saying the connecting flight has been delayed for 4 hours due to maintenance. I'm really ready to flip out. frustrated

To give credit to Southwest, they gave everyone a $100 travel voucher. If I had a choice, I think I would have had the flight depart on time instead. So finally we get on the plane and the pilot gets on the intercom. He states there is a "crack" in the baggage compartment door and we have to deplane to get on another plane. Mind you, this is the same plane that people just arrived to Midway in. Explain that. So we ultimately get on a different plane and the whole flight is seranaded by the sounds of toddlers wailing in unison.

Air travel is becoming too painful. It's a mad dash to get to the airport, get through security, then sit there and wait. Mad dash to get on the plane, then wait. Mad dash to get off and then wait for your baggage at the carousel. Add on the ridiculous fees for flight cancellation, baggage, cramped seating, etc and it is enough to make a normal person go off the deep end.

Sorry, end of rant.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Empty Re: Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays?

Post by ullmandds Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:24 am

Yeah...I sympathize with you...I don't fly nearly as often as u...I fly maybe 6-8 times/yr...usually atleast once or twice internationally.

International airlines are 1000% better than our domestic...much more efficient with security...packing luggage...food service...more courteous, more attractive(Smile)

That having been said...domestic air travel can be brutal...overcrowded planes, insufficient overhead luggage space due to most people trying to dodge fees by carrying everything on board knowing full well when they take your bags at the gate you won't have to pay! That was a mouthful!!!!! Unhappy, unfriendly staff...regular tardiness...dramatically higher fees(all air travel)...it's like ok from now on you're going to pay more...much more...for less....a lot less!!!!!

I now look at air travel as more of a privelege and if I want to travel...which I do...I must accept it's shortcomings as par for the course!

ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Empty Re: Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays?

Post by cccc Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:17 am

air travel is like getting a psa5 and discovering paper loss on the back, it sucks.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:19 am

International travel beats the pants off of domestic. International has the best terminals, service, competency... everything. All the remaining staffers who aren't that good fly the domestic flights. And the companies that pay them the least are Southwest and Jet Blue, so they have the lowest quality in general.

Southwest at least has a decent culture surrounding it, but JetBlue is horrible. Talk about a nightmare. Also, try to avoid connecting flights... it only makes things much more complicated.

Finally, one piece of advice - buy yourself a good pair of noise cancelling headphones. I have the Bose pair - it has been priceless and helped not only with travel but dealing with construction, bus and train rides, etc. They are priceless.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:00 am

These have proven to be essential in my life...by far the best!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003GVTDQW
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by seablaster Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:32 am

Thanks for commiserating guys. It definitely makes me feel like I'm not alone out there.

Jamie, you mentioned JetBlue as being the worst, but in my experience flying in the state of New York, it hasn't been too bad. The title of most incompetent airline in my opinion goes to USeless (U.S.) Airways. These guys could eff up a cup of coffee. I have been stranded by them numerous times at Laguardia, Logan, and in D.C. My girlfriend was on an outbound flight with them from New York City when 20 minutes after take-off, the pilot comes on the overhead and states he doesn't feel comfortable flying the plane the remainder of the trip. question What does that mean? Is he sleeping one off? I had her report it to the FAA.

I'm looking into noise reduction; not sure why I didn't consider that before. I like your suggestion Peter because they wouldn't interfere with my blowout:

Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Pauly-d-spends-25-mins-on-his-blowout__oPt

Just kidding of course. Very Happy
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Anyone else sick of air travel nowadays? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down