turn up the hue (and cry)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

turn up the hue (and cry)

Post by zouraspm on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:36 pm

I guess this seller thinks he can take advantage of the smaller venue auctions' limited viewing audience hammer prices by flipping cards on ebay, except his playing hocus focus with his scanner resulting in more vibrant colors than in the original auction is bothersome to me. Admittedly I wouldn't have as much a problem with it if I hadn't been the first loser in the Sterling auction for this card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-T205-Polar-Bear-CHRISTY-MATHEWSON-Giants-HOF-SGC-1-/120872551658?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c2490c4ea

http://sterlingsportsauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=8553
zouraspm
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: turn up the hue (and cry)

Post by 3-2-count on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Although you owned the card at one time and definitely know it better than I, my question is this. Which scan is actually most closest to the true look? The Ebay seller's scan doesn't look all that out of line to me, and Sterling's scan actually looks quite dull when taking into consideration the flip color on the SGC slab. Then again maybe it's just my cheap computer, Cool but I don't see the contrast your speaking of.
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
18 / 10018 / 100

View user profile http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:00 pm

pete--i agree with tony here. the difference is very minor if there's any at all. i've gotten a couple cards from the ebay seller and it's always held up to his scans.

i lost an e92 dockman lajoie in the sterling auction which he's also put up on ebay so i wanna rip him as much as the next guy Smile
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:33 pm

BRILLIANT. Shocked

I do agree with the first response but it does always suck when your the under bidder and see the card immediately for sale.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
53 / 10053 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair on Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:24 pm

Seller is Chris Buckler, who seems to have a pretty good business going with selling cards. From the word at the last National, he seems to be one of the good guys. He is relatively young as card dealers go. And his charming wife works with him.

I do understand the animosity towards flippers, but I guess in this case it is more like a dealer looking to score "wholsale" inventory via underpriced auction lots. I can live with that.
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
12 / 10012 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:09 pm

I've dealt with Chris on numerous strip cards, especially w514's. Always reasonable, a great seller. I doubt he was trying to purposely deceive anyone.
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:14 am

I don't really see the issue with the ebay listing in the OP. The face looks a little more flesh toned, but not crazy. If I bought the card off ebay and it looked closer to the Sterling scan, I don't imagine that I'd be upset.

I'll admit that I have played with the brightness and contrast on my scans in order to try to make the scan match the card. My old scanner made every b&w card have a nasty greenish hue. Even with a much better scanner, it still requires some adjustment to make the scan true to the card. I suspect that auction houses don't have a ton of time to play with scans to pretty them up as much as owners do.

As Tony showed with his follow-up ebay posts, there are some egregious ones out there. The one in the OP doesn't fall into that category for me.
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
8 / 1008 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:11 am

This is a great post, and many times I have wondered the same thing. Here's another example:

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=127429&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=1887-N172-Old-Judge-Cigarettes-%22Old-Hoss%22-Radbourn---SGC-10-PR-1

http://www.oldjudge.com/archive/200402/baseball/8/

You can see that the two scans look materially different - the Legendary one looks brighter, yellower, a bit more vibrant. I think that a lot of auction houses are doing it.

After the shill bid episodes, can we really doubt that it's a possibility that the scans themselves are being "roided" up by some of the major auction houses?
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hello!

Post by Sharma on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Hello all, first post on this board. I met Chris and his wife last year at the National and they are nice people. I purchased a 48B Rizzuto, a 1915 CJ and went back to them (the only table I made a repeat puchase with that day) as my last table and bought my first t206 off them...a portrait Matty. They were willing to deal, very nice and genuinely nice to be around. As far as the possibility of a major auction house "doctoring" and scan you better believe it...first post, Ill stay off my soap box. Cool

Sharma
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pup6913 on Sat May 19, 2012 4:14 pm

I have known Chris and Christen for several yrs and have had many great and easy transactions with them as well as Family and Friends I have sent to them. The OP(Pete right?) sounds like a sore loser to me. Pony up on a card if you want it but don't bash others if you don't get it
Pup6913
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy on Sat May 19, 2012 4:21 pm

I would say that some times it is just the scanner used and the people scanning do nothing to it. We have all seen crappy scans because of crappy scanners. Thank Goodness I have always had good scanners, but sadly, that seem to so more detail that can really be seen with the naked eye.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
53 / 10053 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley on Mon May 21, 2012 4:04 am

Never knew that his name was Chris Buckler, but I've dealt with somersetvelvet a number of times. A good and reliable seller. That having been said, I'd say his asking price on the Mathewson is high. That is, unless The Gentleman's T205 is considered a lot more valuable than his T206's, cuz I got a much higher graded Christy T206 (SGC40) for only about $100 more than that. But then, BIN prices are almost always too high.

A tad back-and-forth. I probably haven't added a darn thing to this discussion, have I? Final analysis, I wouldn't buy that card at that price, even though I'm a Mathewson-o-phile.
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pup6913 on Mon May 21, 2012 7:13 am

I have always found contacting Chris to make a deal pays off. Of course his prices are set higher than norm. Its to provoke a fair offer. Other wise you put an actual price and people offer you less than its worth. I think we all know this game already Very Happy
Pup6913
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy on Thu May 24, 2012 2:29 am

bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back