Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices

4 posters

Go down

E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Empty E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices

Post by ullmandds Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:58 pm

This E105 Mello Mint ended on fleabay yesterday evening...a very fair price in my opinion for a nice, raw oversized card that is a lot tougher than a similarly priced T206 AB/Hindu back. I just missed this one! The deals can't go on forever?!?!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220965437086?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Empty Re: E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:15 pm

ullmandds wrote:This E105 Mello Mint ended on fleabay yesterday evening...a very fair price in my opinion for a nice, raw oversized card that is a lot tougher than a similarly priced T206 AB/Hindu back. I just missed this one! The deals can't go on forever?!?!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220965437086?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hi Pete,

My guess on this card is that some bidders were put off by (1) the harsh diamond cut, and (2) the borders that appear quite wavy on this card (though as you point out it does not look undersized).

In terms of Es in general, in the just-concluded Sterling Sports Auction, he had a part set of E92 Dockmans that he sold as singles. In general, those sold better (higher $) than I have seen in several years.
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Empty Re: E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices

Post by ullmandds Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Hey Blair...I'll have to check out the "hammers" in the sterling...I don't pay a whole lot of attention to e92 dockmans...but I suppose I agree...the wavy edges almost appear as if the card has/had water damage...but still...for an e105 type...a steal in my opinion!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:26 pm

ullmandds wrote:Hey Blair...I'll have to check out the "hammers" in the sterling...

Hi Pete,

For all the VG (SGC 40) common cards I picked up for my set over the last couple years I paid around $50 each or less. So the Sterling results on Bescher, Schmidt and Casey were what I expected. But seeing SGC 40s of Bridwell, Bergen and Shean go for $127 each and Devlin go for $150 were pretty big surprises to me, and an indication that people are now paying higher prices.

As another example, I paid around $100 for my Jennings graded in VG (I admit I felt that was a real good deal)...Sterling sold a much lower graded SGC 20 of that card for the same price.

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:34 pm

I think of all the E cards the E92 Dockman and E95s are the most commonly collected, thus you may be getting a spike from an infusion of collectors for the Dockman, they always seem obtainable but overall not easy.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:54 pm

bowlingshoeguy wrote:I think of all the E cards the E92 Dockman and E95s are the most commonly collected, thus you may be getting a spike from an infusion of collectors for the Dockman, they always seem obtainable but overall not easy.

Lee

I think that is true, Lee. I think also E90-1 are pretty commonly collected too.

When I was talking to Brian from Sterling, he noted that a lot of the E-card auctions online seemed to have "dried up" lately (I take to mean that supply was low for awhile)...so he sort of expected good bidding on these E92s.

One other note - I have found just recently that graded E91s are selling really high. Much higher than a couple years back, I think. I went after some on eBay from very reputable dealers, and most of them blew past my bids.

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:09 pm

YEah...E91's have definitely become a bit more popular in recent years....with people going after team sets and series sets. I see the allure as they used to be very cheap, and are kinda scarce compared to t206, even for big name hof'ers...I just don't see the crude designs ever really becoming universally desirable.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Farm_kid Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:52 am

How many subjects are in the E card sets? Does that detract or increase interest in them. I think of T206 as very popular because it is so large that it becomes a true collecting jouney.

Farm_kid
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100E cards continue to sell at bargain basement prices Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:06 pm

The size of the e sets varies...some like e90-2 e90-3 have very vew cards 10-12 or so...then a bunch like e93, e94, e95, e96, e97, e98 have 30 or so...on up to e92 which has more than double that...on to the monster e90-1 which has almost 200 I believe.

I think to some people the smaller sets are appealing as they can be easier to complete. The e90-1 would certainly be a collecting journey.

I partially agree that the monster(t206) is appealing due to its size. To me...the main appeal is the commonality of it...cards are readily available, the inclusion of hobby icons like wagner and plank...and the many many ways to collect the set...backs...fronts...variations...errors...and so on.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down