Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting

2 posters

Go down

What percent of your collecting cards is for fulfillment vs. investment?

The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Vote_lcap20%The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 3 ]
The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Vote_lcap73%The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Vote_rcap 73% 
[ 11 ]
The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Vote_lcap7%The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Vote_lcap0%The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Vote_lcap0%The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 15

The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Empty The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting

Post by jbonie Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:15 am

I thought this was an interesting article - towards the end he talks about how art collectors are in it partly for the enjoyment and partly as an investment.

"The best illustration of psychic benefits is the art market. Art collectors buy paintings for two reasons. They are interested in the painting as an investment — the same way they would view buying stock in General Motors. And they are interested in the painting as a painting — as a beautiful object. In a recent paper in Economics Bulletin, the economists Erdal Atukeren and Aylin Seçkin used a variety of clever ways to figure out just how large the second psychic benefit is, and they put it at 28 percent.7 In other words, if you pay $100 million for a Van Gogh, $28 million of that is for the joy of looking at it every morning. If that seems like a lot, it shouldn't. There aren't many Van Goghs out there, and they are very beautiful. If you care passionately about art, paying that kind of premium makes perfect sense."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6874079/psychic-benefits-nba-lockout
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Empty Re: The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting

Post by LucasRiley Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:36 pm

I started collecting about 14 years ago, and got really serious about six or seven years ago. I can say without hesitation that I've never had a more fulfilling hobby. Sure, it's nice to know that my collection has a significant monetary value, and I do keep a tab on what that value is, and I do have my collection insured. Nonetheless, if I didn't love baseball to begin with, and if I didn't feel like this hobby was pulling me closer to the game and its history in some way, I wouldn't have kept doing it. I'd have found some other way to use my time.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100The Psychic Benefits of Card Collecting Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down