Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated

+4
the-illini
sabrjay
fisherboy7
r337man
8 posters

Go down

Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Empty Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated

Post by r337man Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Unrelated Story:

I attended a very cool original estate find auction Saturday of single owner 1930s gum cards. The cards were found in a 90 year old gentleman's house who passed away. The cards were found in paper sandwich bags I believe.

It was an amazing collection, displayed on the auction tables and the baseball cards were absolute blazers!!

They looked pack fresh in many cases.

My dad, who will be 90 in November and collected during this era always told me that the Indian cards were way more popular than the baseball to the kids. He told me he used to trade baseball to get Indians he needed. Way cool!

Now for the funny part, I am standing next to 3 guys probably in their 30s and listening to them. They were discussing how the cards were trimmed and that the owner must have bought them in the 1980s before the fabulous 3rd party grading was around.

ok drool I don't see a face puking so I will use the drool.

Not a single card was trimmed, it was so obvious that this was an original childhood collection that I just had to laugh.

I love competition like that at auctions.

The amazing part, the baseball cards were in blazing condition but... the Indians were VG and showed the most wear!!

How neat! Just like Pops told me.

The Tootsie Circus cards were gorgeous and brough double what I expected

The nicest Ruth brought $4K raw

I was fortunate enough to get a few things but it was really enjoyable seeing a FRESH to the hobby collection like that being offered raw.

The auction was in York PA and can be easily found on auction zip.

Thanks for reading
Dan Mckee
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Empty Re: Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:31 pm

FANTASTIC Ewing card Dan, thanks for following up with the scan. I don't believe I've seen that pose on any other Ewing card, including his N172 poses. I'm guessing there's an identical OJ pose though?

I kinda get annoyed when people assume that anything that isn't slabbed is automatically trimmed or altered in some way. Trust your own eyes and intuition! I suppose in cases like this, it could result in a better deal for you thought. Hope you scored something nice for your collection/inventory.

ps. we DO have a barf smiley! puke
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Empty Re: Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated

Post by r337man Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:50 pm

barf smiley is killer!!! sorry I missed him
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Certainly a unique Ewing pose I haven't seen before either.

Sadly, we are going to see more and more collectors like those guys you saw because no one handles raw cards anymore. Without that experience of handling raw cards, you don't know what you are looking at when you do see them raw and just assume that something is wrong because they aren't graded.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by the-illini Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Nice story Dan - glad to hear you got some of the cards!

That Ewing is an absolutely amazing card - thanks for sharing!!!
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Cool story...and ditto...amazing card!!! I bet the K man would kill for that one!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Great card just surprised Dan was sober enough to scan it... Smile
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:01 pm

ah yet another Wonka mistake!!! Dan was hammered, while watching Pops scan it for him. beer
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Also thanks for the very kind words gents.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by kamikid Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:14 am

great story for sure. I wish i could stumble across something like that one day. That gypsy queen is Dirty. I hope that someday my collection can be as good as everyones in here. I mean i may need a second job to help this addiction
kamikid
kamikid
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cozmokramer Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:18 am

That's a gorgeous card, great image, I'm as jealous as one can get!

I bought this GQ last week of Corcoran, very light image but still happy to have it.

Here is a scan of my Gypsy Queen Ewing and a funny unrelated Corc

cozmokramer
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down