Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Right now it's a good time to collect....

+9
Bicem
3-2-count
LucasRiley
sabrjay
Bosox Blair
the-illini
t206head
jbonie
fisherboy7
13 posters

Go down

Right now it's a good time to collect.... Empty Right now it's a good time to collect....

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:15 am

Complete the sentence in the title ^ and include a reason why.

Right now it's a good time to collect.......D cards.

Specifically D304, D322, D359. For some reason they've cooled off considerably, despite being scarce and attractive cards. All three sets, while not cheap, are of modest size and are completable if you have the time and resources. D304 and D322 contain poses that are unique to the set. They are reasonably available on ebay and other venues, but are by no means "easy" to find. For those reasons, I think it's a great time to be a D card collector.

What say you Question
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Right now it's a good time to collect.... Empty Re: Right now it's a good time to collect....

Post by jbonie Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:25 am

N173's. They offer spectacular imagery, rarity, and history. From the oldest era of card collecting, with the fewest amount of types of cards issued. Amazing photographs, a lot of the common players are quite rare.

N172's are second generation photos, lower-quality than first generation N173's. They are pricey but I believe prices will continue to stay strong, as they did during the economic crises.

Whether the economy improves of falters, these should continue increase in value, and offer great enjoyment while you wait. And you can choose the rare commons or the more popular HOF'ers.

(please note that while I do own one N173, I am not actively collecting this set as my focus is on N172 HOFers).

Btw nice idea for a thread.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Right now it's a good time to collect.... Empty Re: Right now it's a good time to collect....

Post by t206head Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:50 am

I just won a demmitt for $515 with juice
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by the-illini Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:03 am

I think the following cards are poised to explode - all available on my for sale page here... Cool

Just kidding!

Good idea for a thread Ben. I agree with Jamie that N173's are a bargain in terms of their scarcity compared to the prices they draw.

On the 20th century side of things, I have always felt that the M101-6 Felix Mendelsohn set are great buys. These cards simply do not come up for sale - ever. If you see a dozen for sale publicly on an annual basis, it is a good year.

Issued circa 1919, they contain a wonderful mix of deadball and "liveball" era stars, and depict players in poses that are in most cases not used anywhere else. Until recently you could get low tier HOFers in decent condition for a couple hundred bucks and major stars for a few multiples of that. Even with a recent price surge, I would buy any one I could get my hands on - if anyone would ever sell them!

Mgr McGraw watching his troops...

Right now it's a good time to collect.... M101-610
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:28 am

T3s: Lots of them being offered and the auction selling prices are cheap compared to the last several years and cheaper again than 5-6 years ago.

Certain E-card sets: Auction prices on commons and some HOFers from sets like E92, E101, E102 are way down from 5-6 years ago. E90-1 are a bit cool too.
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Right now is a good time collect strip cards. They have completely fallen off the map. E-cards a good choice too as prices seem to be way down from historic highs.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Just to pipe in on early 20th Cent stuff for those who prefer that era, my two recommendations would be T205's and T206 Tolstoi, Brown Hindu, Cycle or EPDG's.

T205 is a very attractive set in contrast to the E cards, and in spite of the sensitivity of the border, the set will always be in demand. Unlike the T206, T205 is completable and more affordable. And yes, the rare T205 backs are underpriced.

We've seen a trend where the Lenox, RHindu, Drum and Uzit prices have exploded and left the scarce backs in the dust. Yet Tolstoi, Brown Hindu, Cycle and EPDG are awesome backs and still very affordable since those backs were not made for all the players in the set. I would not go Polar Bear because of the tobacco stains nor Old Mill because there are too many expensive SLers.

I would also say that just because the prices have fallen on something doesn't necessarily mean it is a good buy. It's impossible to know when/if it will ever recover.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:54 pm

I wouldn't touch any t206 based on its back. When I collected them back in 19890s the only backs that were truly difficult were Drum, Uzit, brown Lennox, Broadleaf 460 and red Hindu. Everything was not difficult to find. t206 backs can probably compared to the e-card craze.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:11 pm

jbonie wrote:
I would also say that just because the prices have fallen on something doesn't necessarily mean it is a good buy. It's impossible to know when/if it will ever recover.

This is certainly a good point. And the question posed can have answers that have nothing to do with price...for some issues, it may be something like availability/selection (ie. last year I saw more X cards offered for sale than in the prior 5 years combined). That could make it a good time to collect a particular issue.
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:58 am

Just based on my own experience, I'd say now is a pretty good time to get into The Monster. I've put nearly a third of the set together--with a solid handful of HOF's and Southern Leaguers--for a price you probably couldn't have touched a few years ago. I will agree, however, that the 'backs' craze has gotten ridiculous. After 101 cards (out of 392--I'm doing Subjects Only), I still haven't landed an EPDG, and the really scarce ones...forget it. I'd rather be able to afford things like, well, food.

But if you're not hung up on backs, some of the commons are practically being given away, and you don't have to go beater. You can keep your set at or above the PSA3/SGC30 mark and grab the occasional big name or SL, and still keep your per-card average in the very low $40's. Though, to stay in that range, you'll want to sometimes accept a presentable 2/20 on SL's.

I love those D cards, but I'm not in that league yet. Those things are way too pricy for me.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:52 am

Just a note on the backs, I think the scarce/rare backs are more interesting... I'd rather own one Hindu than two Piedmonts. Yes, backs are ridiculous. But it's kind of like the tulip craze.

If a Hindu is 20x more rare than a Piedmont, but only sells for double the price, doesn't that suggest some major upside to the price of the Hindu? We may not be anywhere near the end of T206 back insanity yet.

Sometimes a great thing to collect is cash. Not buying more cards than one can afford is a great idea. There's so many things that you can do with the money.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:34 am

These may not necessarily be a good buy, but they do stand out to me more than other issues as far as being down.

T3's
E93's
E103's
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:31 am

Bosox Blair wrote:

This is certainly a good point. And the question posed can have answers that have nothing to do with price...for some issues, it may be something like availability/selection (ie. last year I saw more X cards offered for sale than in the prior 5 years combined). That could make it a good time to collect a particular issue.

Great point, it's just like when Fruend sold off his large e107 collection (mostly commons) in REA in 2008, that one event drove down the prices for a couple of years. Their perceived scarcity took a big hit, just now starting to get back to pre-2008 prices.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Rarity doesn't always translate into $$$. You need more people to move into the back market in order to see big increases. When you are talking the really rare backs you start eliminating potential collectors, even as a type, because of the price.

Even though t206 backs are hot. The vast majority of collectors still only care about the front and maybe want a type of each back. Part of what is driving back prices right now is that you have collectors, like my brother, who are trying to put together sets of a particular back. So instead of people wanting just a type, they are wanting every player that has appeared with that back.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:00 pm

beanie babies and starting lineup action figures!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:06 pm

On a more serious and relevant note...Jay...I agree with you in that part of the driveup in prices of the rare backs of t206's is the craze to complete back sets...but only up to a point. It would be impossible to try to complete back sets of the ultra rare backs like BL, uzit, drum, lenox, red hindu...even hindu...although I know some are trying. There are a handful of t206 rare back collectors out there that are hoarding as many rare backs as they can get...combined with rising interest in the T206 set as a whole.

I don't see the recent t206 rare back craze as being that similar to the caramel phenomena of a few years ago. A few years ago people were realizing that almost any caramel was/is multiples more rare that any t206 card and many other tobacco issues so the values exploded. Sadly many caramel cards have crude imagery which turns collectors off.
The overall interest in T206 these days...rare backs, set collecting, freak/error collecting to me shows little signs of slowdown and as more and more collectors turn to vintage...T206 is most likely where they will start!!!!

ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Red Cross Lowdermilk's Very Happy
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-NUT Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Post War minor league issues.

While many sets are still hard to come by, prices seem to be down, a few examples:

1951-1954 Globe Printing Company (Scarce to Rare)

The prices on mid to high grade examples from the more commonly found teams, such as Sioux City, have come crashing down, at least on Ebay. Of the five I currently own, One was purchased for under $25. My second one went for under $15, and my two newest cost me a whopping $6.50 each. All four are EX or better. The 2011 Standard Catalog lists Sioux City singles for $30 in EX condition.

1960 Tulsa Oilers Team Issue (Scarce):

Purchased a mid-grade lot of 3 for $9.00. The 2011 Standard Catalog lists them for $10 each in EX condition.

1957-58 Chattanooga Lookouts Team Issue (Very scarce):

Purchased 2 EX examples for $13 each. One of the players is uncataloged. The 2011 Standard Catalog lists them at $15 each in EX condition.

I'm not complaining Very Happy .

Z-NUT
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:16 pm

sabrjay wrote:Rarity doesn't always translate into $$$. You need more people to move into the back market in order to see big increases. When you are talking the really rare backs you start eliminating potential collectors, even as a type, because of the price.

Even though t206 backs are hot. The vast majority of collectors still only care about the front and maybe want a type of each back. Part of what is driving back prices right now is that you have collectors, like my brother, who are trying to put together sets of a particular back. So instead of people wanting just a type, they are wanting every player that has appeared with that back.

Exactly....
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Right now it's a good time to collect.... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Right now it's a good time to collect.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:14 pm

I think collecting the T206 set with one back is a way cooler way of going about it. It adds a really interesting twist. Just collecting T206's with any back is boring, and you can go broke in about a week.

As far as price goes, obviously the more people who decide to go that route, the higher the prices will go. The ultra rare backs are starting to dry up, which could make people clamor for these ones.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down