Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster"

+7
bowlingshoeguy
sabrjay
3-2-count
cccc
ullmandds
ChiefBenderForever
LucasRiley
11 posters

Go down

Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Empty Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster"

Post by LucasRiley Wed May 25, 2011 3:10 am

I'm having a great time with the T206 set, but I know the backs are a significant factor with card value. What I want to know is: Am I hopelessly undermining my set with my fascination with Polar Bear backs? I know Uzits and Hindus and American Beauty's and Tolstoi's and whatever else are worth a lot more money, but I don't find myself wanting to ante up for them when I can get a card like the one below, which has a clean, crisp PB back:

Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" G1_12611[/url]Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" G1t12611

How do others feel about the whole 'backs' situation with T206's? Do you buy based on preference? Or do you buy based on what's going to enhance the value of your set? Or both? Like anyone else, I get bored with Piedmonts and Sweet Caps (although I'm always glad to acquire a clean back that's nicely centered, regardless of brand). But PB's have the distinction of being dark background contrasted with white lettering, which none of the others have.

Am I being overly influenced by aesthetics? Should I get over my PB fascination? Input is welcome.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Empty Re: Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster"

Post by ChiefBenderForever Wed May 25, 2011 3:36 am

I really like the Polar Bear backs and it is tough to find nice clean examples so you can never have to many. It's great to get different backs but as far as Hindu and beyond that you will have to pay a small fortune for them. It's really getting out of control or has been for a little while and only getting more crazy. I don't see it slowing down anytime soon either but it's all good. Basically there is no bad T206, no matter what the condition, no matter what the back, they are all good. With that being said the most important thing you should do is look for clean, crisp, clear examples in any grade, any back, that is what you want. Take your time and find those and you will be very happy. Good luck and have fun !!

ChiefBenderForever
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Empty Re: Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster"

Post by ullmandds Wed May 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Collect what you like!!!!! Polar Bear backs are definitely desirable...more so than pied/SC...collecting rare backed t206's has always been a small niche...which in recent years has gained tremendous popularity as more people have started collecting them. To some...rare backs are all that matters...to most...they don't matter all that much. Collecting an all PB backed set would be way cool!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed May 25, 2011 1:54 pm

speaking of which, what happened to the batch of about 50 on ebay recently (including a nice o'hara)? a few days ago i put some on my watchlist...but they were all ended prematurely. seller prolly got an offer, probably not as much if he just let them ran.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Wed May 25, 2011 2:37 pm

cccc wrote:speaking of which, what happened to the batch of about 50 on ebay recently (including a nice o'hara)? a few days ago i put some on my watchlist...but they were all ended prematurely. seller prolly got an offer, probably not as much if he just let them ran.

I was wondering the same thing Quan. POOF, they were gone. Woulda liked a chance at some of those....
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Clean Polar Bears are a great looking back. Then again, PBs with a crazy amount of tobacco staining can also be very cool. As others have said, collect what you want. It's YOUR collection.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed May 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Collecting T206s are fun, but focusing in on a niche is the best way that I have found. I get more satisfaction out of my 80+ Cycle 460s than the fact that I put the set together minus the BIG 6.

Good Luck and have fun with it. THe nice thing about PB backs is you don't have to pay a premium unless you want really high grade ones.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed May 25, 2011 6:05 pm

As much as I hate to say it...I agree with Lee...going after the monster is like running a marathon...most anyone can most likely accomplish it with the proper training/funds and dedication...but niche collecting...for me...is much more satisfying. I've been casually going for a basic backs collection for most of my adult life...still need uzit, lenox for completion.

now if I could just figure out what my niche is!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Thu May 26, 2011 5:26 am

I really like Polar Bear cards one of my fav backs in the set.

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collectionpublic/t206backs

I've grabbed quite a few of them over the years, I also agree tough to find clean.

Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Demmitt%20ohara

I picked one I thought looked really nice for my back set above link but have a bunch will try to scan more later.

Cool post for a back that needs more love IMO. righton

Cheers,

John

P.S. Very nice Wright tougher card with a very nice back.

Last edited by wonkaticket on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection

Back to top Go down

Post by atx840 Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:31 am

cccc wrote:speaking of which, what happened to the batch of about 50 on ebay recently (including a nice o'hara)? a few days ago i put some on my watchlist...but they were all ended prematurely. seller prolly got an offer, probably not as much if he just let them ran.

Guilty

The PB are by far my favourite backs.

atx840
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:49 am

I have noticed rising prices in the PB's are you one of them going after them? I personally think the high grade ones are under valued.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:07 am

bowlingshoeguy wrote:I have noticed rising prices in the PB's are you one of them going after them? I personally think the high grade ones are under valued.

Lee

I think the prices of tougher backs like Hindu, Lenox, Uzit etc. have reached levels that are beyond many average T206 collectors budgets. This is increasing the demand on the mid level tougher backs like Polar Bear as they are the affordable alternatives to anyone that wants something other than Sweet Caporal and Piedmont backs.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:06 pm

I found a couple of interesting articles on the history on Polar Bear tobacco:

http://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistory/pages/L_Pages/Lorillard_Tobacco.htm

http://middletownlibrary.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/Crout&CISOPTR=287&CISOBOX=1&REC=13

I particularly like the part about Middletown, New Jersey becoming so well known as the place where it was produced that train conductors would often call out "Polar Bear" instead of Middletown when the train was pulling into town. And if I weren't collecting this set, how else would I have been likely to come by a fascinating little tidbit like that? Ya gotta love The Monster.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Polar Bear vs. Other Backs in "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by zapsr Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Guys,
These are all GREAT posts. You can have great fun with niche collecting when it comes to the set. Backs, Teams, Hall of Famers etc. It can however drive you bonkers. Enjoy the experience of that "find". That is the pleasure of it all.

Tom

zapsr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down