Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross)

+12
Bosox Blair
jbonie
nolemmings
the-illini
LucasRiley
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Bicem
3-2-count
ullmandds
sabrjay
BigGuy219
bowlingshoeguy
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross)

Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Vote_lcap19%Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 4 ]
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Vote_lcap81%Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Vote_rcap 81% 
[ 17 ]

Total Votes : 21

Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Empty Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross)

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun May 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Since it appears the Cobb Tango and the Lowdermilk Red Cross have gone for approximately the same price I was curious which one would be your preference to own.

My choice is the Lowdermilk, premiere card with premiere back.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Empty Re: Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross)

Post by BigGuy219 Sun May 08, 2011 4:31 pm

If we're talking about the specific Tango Eggs from Goodwin & Co. vs. the Red Cross from last night's REA, then my vote goes with the Lowdermilk. However, if it was a VG Tango Eggs Cobb vs. a VG Red Cross Lowdermilk, I believe I'd go with the Cobb.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Empty Re: Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross)

Post by sabrjay Sun May 08, 2011 4:33 pm

Lowdy wins, even if they were the same condition. A premier card from a premier set with an incredibly rare back. Although it only went for $18k plus juice, I think we all agree that Pete got the steal of the auction with that card at that price.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun May 08, 2011 4:45 pm

That Tango Cobb is supposedly the only one to exist, it's exist was in question until recently.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun May 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Personally...in existing condition...it's no contest...that cobb is downright filthy...butt ugly...loudy wins!

If condition were comparable...I'd still go with Loudy as to me it's an iconic card of the hobby made 100 times more desirable by the red cross back...and I'm not just saying this because I now own it! drunken

Last edited by ullmandds on Tue May 10, 2011 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Tue May 10, 2011 1:15 am

Lowdermilk by a landslide if I had to choose. Congratulations Pete.....
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 am

Rowdy Lowdy.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Wed May 11, 2011 12:26 am

The Cobb would probably be a good flip for somebody but the Loudy is a keeper

Last edited by Jim Rivera cfc1909 on Wed May 11, 2011 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed May 11, 2011 12:35 am

for sure, Jim.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Wed May 11, 2011 12:58 am

We're discussing two very rare cards, both of which are attractive. Given that, I have to go with the greater player. I love the Lowdermilk brown back, and I'm very happy for Pete for acquiring it, but I can't vote against Cobb in this situation. I mean, after all, this is Ty Cobb we're talking about. He was an a**hole by all accounts, admittedly, but he was also one of the five greatest ever to play the game (by my contention), a game that has inordinate meaning to me, as it does to everyone on this forum, presumably. Ultimately, I can't stray from that core virtue.

Just my opinion. Sorry, Pete. I still envy the heck out of ya. yes
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed May 11, 2011 1:37 am

Lucas...that's great...that's why liffe is interesting because we're all different!!! Personally...to fortify my argument...the cobb is one of my least favorite poses...pretty much beaten to a bloody pulp...that's strike 2 in my book! The loudy will have dual representation in my heart...it represents a revered card in the hobby that has historically shared company with some of the most coveted cards in the history of the hobby...ie t206 wags, magie, plank, 33 goudey lajoie...combined with the red cross back...as I decided to be a type collector after viewing the color pictures in the old sport americana price guides as a kid and I love rare backs!!!!!!

"live and let live!"
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by the-illini Wed May 11, 2011 6:46 pm

I have to agree with Lucas. I think the Lowdermilk is an awesome card, but it just doesn't fit with my collecting interests the way that the Cobb would.

Choosing between the two would be a nice problem to have!
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Wed May 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Lowdy wins, even if they were the same condition. A premier card from a premier set with an incredibly rare back. Although it only went for $18k plus juice, I think we all agree that Pete got the steal of the auction with that card at that price.

That about sums it up for me. Beaucoup congrats Pete.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed May 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Right. Cobb was a great player, but the Tango Eggs set is very lightly regarded. A double rarity from a more serious set will pounce it, and indeed the Lowdermilk deservedly went for more. Unless interest in the Tango Eggs set grows exponentially, the Lowdy prevails!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed May 11, 2011 7:59 pm

I just looked at the cobb again and it is so freakin ugly! But to each their own...the image looks like a child drawn cartoon, it doesn't even look like cobb...it has beaucoup front damage...and as has been stated Tango's don't get a whole lot of respect...and I agree!

Yup...still Loudy in a mike tyson'esque ko early in the first round. I'd trade it for a cobb/cobb maybe!!!

Look how ugly it is below!

And for the almost $20K that cobb would cost...you could get collector grades of practically every other cobb card out there...Id rather have them!

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=18532&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=1916-Tango-Eggs-Ty-Cobb-SGC-1----%E2%80%9CArguably%2c-The-Only-Known-Copy-in-Existence%E2%80%9D! nahnahnah

Pete the biased one
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Wed May 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Ya know, I just took another look at the Tango Egg Cobb. I gotta admit, you all have a point: Even if it was in good shape, that wouldn't be a particularly attractive card. And when you think of it in terms of how many other Cobbs you could get for the same price, I have to concede the point. I'd go with the Lowdermilk.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed May 11, 2011 11:28 pm

There are no other Lowdermilk cards out there. His t207 is it.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed May 11, 2011 11:33 pm

LucasRiley wrote:Ya know, I just took another look at the Tango Egg Cobb. I gotta admit, you all have a point: Even if it was in good shape, that wouldn't be a particularly attractive card. And when you think of it in terms of how many other Cobbs you could get for the same price, I have to concede the point. I'd go with the Lowdermilk.

Dude - you are giving up? nono

I was the sole other person who voted Cobb (Jamie appears to be right...I am a contrarian).

With the greatest of respect to Pete and his fabulous acquisition (in all honesty), I say the following. The case for the Cobb has several facets. First, as Lucas pointed out, we have Cobb vs. Lowdermilk. Huge advantage Cobb on the demand side of that factor alone. I liken T207 Lowdermilk to the E97 Sullivan (Boston) card. Mainly of interest to master set collectors and advanced type collectors. The toughness of the card has been known for decades, yet it is not priced into the heavens. Second, the Cobb is the only known example of that subject ever located in that set. The only one. This is not a question of X back or Y back - there is no other one...the ultimate rarity. The person possessing this card is believed to be the only person who can today complete the Tango Eggs set. In contrast, the 2010 REA featured three (3) T207 Lowdermilks (which is no doubt a partial explanation for why Pete was able to get such a great price on this one in 2011). Rarity advantage Cobb. Third, the Cobb is historically significant in that it provides some additional much-needed proof that Tango Eggs cards were indeed circulated and were a legitimate pre-war issue. It also stimulates collector interest in uncovering other Tango Eggs subjects not yet confirmed to exist.

Those are some of my thoughts in voting for the Cobb...and I ain't changing my vote! ninja

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed May 11, 2011 11:42 pm

A big negative for the Cobb and it's scarcity is that Tango Eggs have almost always been found in large groups. There is a much better chance of a few more TE Cobbs showing up than there is of one more T207 RC Lowdermilk appearing. If the next TE find is like others, it be the find that has a dozen or so Cobbs. So Rowdy Lowdy wins the rarity game.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Wed May 11, 2011 11:58 pm

I suspect at least one weird old collector has a TE Cobb and just wants to be left alone.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu May 12, 2011 12:06 am

Is there another issue that has the same Cobb front?

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Thu May 12, 2011 12:16 am

I feel as if I've seen that Cobb front on multiple issues. Isn't it just the common leaning on bat with orange-yellow background pose?

Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) !Bym-YfgCGk~$(KGrHqIOKiYEwwoKndFEBMSe)Oci6!~~_12
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu May 12, 2011 12:26 am

bowlingshoeguy wrote:Is there another issue that has the same Cobb front?

Lee

E92, E101, E102, D303...what am I missing?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 12, 2011 1:41 am

t216 I'd imagine...does a cobb exist in t216? I think you may have them all...E106?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu May 12, 2011 4:24 am

Yep, E106 and T216 too. T216 has the E90-1 batting pose too I think scratch
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Cobb (Tango) or Lowdermilk (Red Cross) Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next