Sick of PSA turnaround time.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sick of PSA turnaround time.

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:18 am

I sent a crossover to PSA...they received it 3/2, still nothing from them. I called last week and they said everything was ok and should be all set in a few days..it's been 4.
The card to be crossed is in a SGC 9 holder, looking for a PSA 9 of course. If it does not get crossed i will lose $32 and be done with PSA for good.

Is a crossover still the 10 day turnaround time?

FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sick of PSA turnaround time.

Post by pariah1107 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:31 pm

I'm sure PSA is too busy grading useless crap like Garbage Pail Kids, KISS cards, or a "rare" Battlestar Galactica set to pay any attention to truly valuable cards. insane

I am soooo sick of PSA, I buy the cards in their holders only to finish sets. They couldn't pour piss out of a boot with directions on the heel. The quality, consistency, and customer service of that company sucks (I hope they are reading this).
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Careful what you say about PSA. You might get Dan M all fired up flaming mad

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. When I do this at home I get arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

View user profile http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:55 pm

A couple thoughts... first, I am no fan of PSA. I have never submitted anything to them and do not have a membership. I also largely prefer SGC to PSA because I my impression is that SGC's abilities in the pre-war market are superior to PSA's - particularly when it comes to the more scarce items.

It does sound though, Mark, like your beef (according to the thread title anyway) is with the turnaround time. I can certainly appreciate how frustrating that might be - especially if paying for a service that has a stated turnaround time and it isn't met. A moving deadline is always frustrating regardless of the venue.

That said, your rationale in your last sentence doesn't sound like you are ready to give up on PSA based on the turnaround time, but rather on whether you get the grade that you want. To me, that justification seems a bit different than what your original displeasure was.

Again, not defending PSA here, but what if they find something on the card that SGC did not and the card would truly deserve less than a 9? Is that a reason to dump them? Not using them because their turnaround time is too long is certainly valid as is not using them if you don't like their product, but to say that your use of them is contingent on a particular card getting a particular crossover grade doesn't seem like it makes sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, I have been upset/disappointed when a card didn't cross, but have had something pointed out on the card that makes me see it their way (SGC's way, in this particular example).

Said another way, I'd understand if you said the services take too long for what you pay, but to conclude your post by saying that you are done with them if one card doesn't get an equal crossover grade just left me scratching my head a little bit.
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
8 / 1008 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:11 pm

oh, it has more to do with getting the grade. It looks fine in a SGC holder and if it won't cross i will just keep it in said holder. It's a card which i probably will end up selling down the road and i truly believe i can get 30-40% more for it due to the registry guys on PSA.

I actually have been pretty lucky as for grades from PSA, it's the customer service that sucks. And to take my $32 right away and for me to wait 20 days for them to get to it makes me angry. Along with the membership fee, which if i understand is to give members top quality service. And to boot, the woman said last Wednesday that it will be a day or two...been 4.

I have to say, i never had a bad thing to say about SGC...their customer service is top notch. And there is no fee...The guy (can't remember his name) who answers the phone is a very nice and polite fellow.

FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:29 pm

LOL...I guess my last sentence does seem to appear like I better get a 9....but I have to say, the card looks perfect except for 45/50 centering on back.

FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:54 pm

People who have problems with grading strip cards need to look no further than this post. Here is an example of PSA's "quality" grading service. I just scanned the back of a VG-EX 4 Leslie Nunamaker w514 and added it to the registry. It's a joke. You don't need a jewelers' eye to see the stains on the back of the card.

It is the first card that comes up on the PSA registry below my signature.

That said I'd rather have this card in an SGC holder as an "A" then in a PSA holder as a "4" any day. At least it would be accurately graded. As for their customer service; SGC outclasses PSA in every regard, turnaround, communication, and accuracy. I cannot wait to finish this set and crossover all of these PSA cards to SGC. I'll take the lower grade, don't care.

I am sorry to hear of the trouble with PSA's turnaround, hopefully it is remedied soon if they wish to retain you as a customer.

pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:02 pm

I too have gladly taken a lower grade on some crosses from PSA to SGC particularly on my E103 HOFer collection. It is all about eye appeal over technical grade for me anyway and I much prefer my cards in their SGC slab home.

No TPG is flawless, but I'll take SGC any day. Their customer support (at least when Brian Dwyer was still there) was top notch. I remember getting a call from them asking if they could ship something to me a different way than I had specified because it would save me $50. Uh... yes, please!
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
8 / 1008 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:28 pm

I think the guy at SGC who answers the phone is named Mike...not 100% sure though.

FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:32 am

knock on wood...my experience with psa has always been positive. grading-wise, CS-wise, turnaround time etc. maybe it's because i live about 15 minutes from them so everything has been smooth.

20 days to do a crossover is ridiculous tho.
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Just got results.....it crossed to a PSA 9. Very Happy

FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Congrats!

So, I guess the question is ... are you "done with PSA" or no?

Please infer no pressure for you to be "done with them" (as if I had any say in the matter) ... I'm just curious.
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
8 / 1008 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:50 pm

I probably will not be renewing my PSA membership in June. I pretty much knew it would cross but did not expect it to take so long.

Other than this crossover, I only used the free 6 sub. for raw cards I had laying around.

Still, I have to say PSA graded cards do get more if you are a seller. Just don't expect much in terms of customer service.

FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

PSA simply stink

Post by leo1968 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:34 am

PSA simply stink and so don't their holders, easy to open and reseal without any sign of tampering. Their holders offer no UV protection, they should switch to Beckett type holders. Grading is inconsistent and worst of the big three grading companies SGC is the most consistent in grading.

leo1968
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by benjaminplante on Mon May 28, 2012 6:45 am

I'm sick of PSA's turn around time also. I send in a submission, and it doesn't even get logged into the system for 2 weeks, so the turn-around time starts then! But they probably get a couple hundred thousand cards a month and are short of staff... I agree with the person who says they are busy grading non sports junk. haha, true! I try to watch PSA result videos on you tube and all I get is pokeman junk. (i'm a vintage baseball/ football collector)

Otherwise, i've had good experiences with PSA. I have a submission every month. I keep getting N6 grades though which makes me mad. You buy a card online and stare at the corners to make sure they're good, but you have no way of knowing if topps cut the stupid card too small.
benjaminplante
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc on Mon May 28, 2012 3:21 pm

my last 10-day psa submission took 5 business days to enter into the database and 11 bus days to grade...so i consider myself lucky.
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top