Childhood heroes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Childhood heroes

Post by sabrjay on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:24 pm

I just finished watching When It Was a Game and never realized that my two favorite players as a kid where Latinos, Tony Oliva and Roberto Clemente. After those two it was Rose and Mays.

Who were your childhood heroes in baseball?

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. When I do this at home I get arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

View user profile http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Childhood heroes

Post by jbonie on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:51 pm

First Oscar Gamble (I loved his crouch), then Dave Winfield.
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:26 am

You mean it wasn't his hair that you fell in love with?

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. When I do this at home I get arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:32 am

Well I was only five so I can't totally remember, but I probably liked his hair, too Smile
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:37 am

Jim Rice and Fred Lynn...I remember having 2 teams to choose from to like Yankees or Redsox. Not having a father figure since my parents divorced when i was 5, i choose the Redsox after watching games during the years of 1976-1977 with some friends. Became an official Yankee hater ever since. Razz

FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:36 am

I definitely see how a lack of a father-figure could lead you down the wrong path and make you become a Red Sox fan Wink

Fred Lynn was pure class, though.
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:11 am

Better a Red Sox fan than a Yankees fan afro

sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:54 am

being a lefty hitter i probably subconsciously favor lefties, ted williams, joe jackson. childhood hero that i saw playing...darryl strawberry. i was ecstatic when dodgers signed him. it broke my heart how quickly he fell. loved the dude, along with jagr in hockey.
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:22 am

Jay, nice use of the afro emoticon! Yet remember that Oscar played for the Yanks.

It's nice of you to come to Mark's rescue, but the Bosox are the favorites this year. With their exorbitant new signings, doesn't that make them the new Evil Empire?

Quan, I'm a lefty myself. Any other lefties on this board?
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:07 am

Not a lefty, but my childhood heroes were Bruce Bochte & Steve Largent. Loved to watch the M's & Seahawks in that overgrown Costco, the Kingdome.
Not much to reflect on fondly as an M's/Bochte fan. It took them 16 years to reach .500. But the Seahawks... I remember my father got tickets to the Monday Night Game vs. San Diego, when Largent broke the consecutive games with a catch record. Great days, with bad teams.... but loved every second of it.

Last edited by pariah1107 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:13 am

Very interesting! I had never heard of Bruce Bochte and had thought maybe you were botching (NPI) the spelling of Bruce Bochy. Learn something new everyday! Love his wiki entry:

Bochte boycotted the entire 1983 season as a personal protest over rising player salaries. He believed that money was destroying the game he loved, but he returned without explanation the next season. Bochte is now an avowed agnostic and is working to "save the Mother Earth from humankind's destructive ways."

jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:18 am

My childhood hero was Harmon Killebrew. He hit a home run in the first game I ever went to. Mom attempted to keep score it was against the A's, Reggie Jackson also homered and was shortened because of rain. As I got older I was a fan of Jim Rice.

Jamie, it called a rebellion and the Rebels have been winning the last 10 years.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
53 / 10053 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:20 am

THat is interesting about Bochte don't remember hearing that.
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
53 / 10053 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:20 am

jbonie wrote:I definitely see how a lack of a father-figure could lead you down the wrong path and make you become a Red Sox fan Wink

Fred Lynn was pure class, though.

LOL!!!! Still, nothing will stay with me more than the 2004 season. Better than having 27 world champions anyday.

FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 am

sabrjay wrote:Better a Red Sox fan than a Yankees fan afro

So true. Razz

FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:09 pm

When the Red Sox pile up 20+ championships, then they can be put in the evil empire category.

In football, Ray Guy was favorite. The football HOF will be a total joke until he gets in. He revolutionized the position. What more do you need from a HOFer?

In hoops it was Dr J and hockey it was Gump Worsley because he was the last goalie to play without a mask and played for the North Stars. After he left I didn't really have a favorite until Jagr showed up on the scene.

sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:16 pm

As a child growing up in northern nj with a father figure from the bronx...I became a die hard yankees fan...to which I will always be faithful! My favorite yankee growing up was thurman munson and I was devastated when he prematurely passed. other childhood heroes were george brett and pete rose. Qwan...here's a photo of my mom and darryl from yankee fantasy camp last month...he was a super nice guy...quite the gentleman...

[img][/img]
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

more pics from shangri-la!

Post by ullmandds on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:28 pm

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:38 pm

Joe Torre was a class act in my opinion, now that idiot Don Zimmer deserved to get thrown down by Pedro. Still one of the best games I ever watched. No matter if it were Pedro or Clemons, pitchers need to show the other team that you won't back down.

FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Watching When It Was a Game really made miss the days when a pitcher a could pitch inside and batters took it like a man rather than charging the mound.

Pete, you look like you belong in the first base box.

sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyHarmonica on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:57 pm

I would have to go with Herb Brooks and the 1980 Olympic Hockey Team. Then Wayne Gretzky, and North Stars Neal Broten and Dino Ciccerelli. Michael Jordan was the KING , and of course Larry Bird and Magic ! Joe Montana, Ahmad Rashad, Walter Payton were favorites. Always was a fan of Jack Nicklaus. For baseball Pete Rose, Kirby Puckett, Dr. K, and D Strawberry, all who had unreal careers,talents and personality only to end in tradegy like a greek drama.
JohnnyHarmonica
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

jbonie wrote:Very interesting! I had never heard of Bruce Bochte and had thought maybe you were botching (NPI) the spelling of Bruce Bochy. Learn something new everyday! Love his wiki entry:

Bochte boycotted the entire 1983 season as a personal protest over rising player salaries. He believed that money was destroying the game he loved, but he returned without explanation the next season. Bochte is now an avowed agnostic and is working to "save the Mother Earth from humankind's destructive ways."

Damn, our heroes really HAVE fallen, had no idea Bochte became such a die-hard environmentalist. He probably came back to baseball in 1984 when he realized how little the Sierra Club paid during the Reagan administration.
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ValKehl on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:30 am

Baseball - Pete Runnels, Mickey Vernon, Eddie Yost & Roy Sievers. I thought the Senators made a huge mistake when they signed Killebrew for big bonus money, because it seemed like he struck out most of the time during his first couple of years - boy, was I ever wrong about him!
Football - Eddie LeBaron & Dick James (Wash. Redskins).
Basketball - Bob Cousey, Bill Sharman, Sam & K.C. Jones, & Bill Russell.
Val

Last edited by ValKehl on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:02 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : How could I forget Bill Sharman - he could really shoot!)

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:04 am

Yeah, I guess Bochte is one of those wackos who actually cares about the well-being of our planet. He should be more like our "regular" sports stars who father children from multiple women, drive drunk in humongous SUVs, and reside in mansions large enough to house 45 people. That would let everyone else off the hook for their own moronic behavior.
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top