Greetings from a new guy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greetings from a new guy

Post by bruinsfan94 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:12 am

Hi Im new here Ive been collecting vintage for a few years now and have just gotten in to pre war over the last few months, I thought I just introduce my self Ive really enjoyed reading these post on your site And hope to make some new friends in the hobby right now Im trying to get into strip cards from the early 20s but am a bit worried about buying fakes so if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. Thanks!,Brian

bruinsfan94
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Greetings from a new guy

Post by ullmandds on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:54 am

welcome...I don't think there are too many fake strip cards...as many lesser known players go quite cheaply...i'm sure others will chime in...good luck w your collecting.
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:16 am

Strip cards are a great way to get some key players without spending much money when you're first starting out.

In the summer of 2003 when I was working in college I picked up a W516-1 Walter Johnson for under $20 delivered.

Welcome to the boards and if you feel comfortable, head over to the pickup thread to keep us informed of what you buy. Nothing's too small, we love it all.
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Welcome aboard, If you have questions about any issue feel free to ask. Always remember to buy cards you like, not much remorse in that.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
53 / 10053 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:26 pm

Welcome on board. For starting out, if you are concerned about buying fakes, only purchase cards that have been slabbed by SGC or PSA instead of buying ungraded / raw versions. Study the real things and you will get more confident in what you are looking for so that you won't get fooled. In the near term, however, just buy graded from those 2 companies and you should be fine. As previously stated, strip cards are not commonly faked, so you have a higher likelihood of finding real cards in that genre than in other, more sought-after, highly visible cards.

If it looks too good to be true, you can be sure that it probably is. Don't trust statements like, "I found these in my grandfather's attic in a shoebox" or "it doesn't say reprint on the card" or "I took them to a card shop and they said they look real". Run away from anything like that.

The cardinal rule is to make sure that you are having fun, to collect what you like, and to realize that you are probably going to learn a couple of lessons the hard way. Remember, though, it's just a hobby.

Good luck and have fun!
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
8 / 1008 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Welcome to the board Brian, I also collect strip cards (mostly w514's). Strip cards are rarely faked, but because they are hand-cut are often altered (especially trimmed). The Old Cardboard website is a great reference for comparing suspect cards to the real McCoy (complete checklists with images of the w514, w513, and w512 sets are available). Happy hunting.
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bruinsfan94 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Thank you very much for replying to replying to my first post!

bruinsfan94
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:50 pm

if you're collecting strip cards, i'd stick to the psa As or sgc As all day long. by definition all of them have been cut/altered so if you buy a high grade card you're paying an unnecessary premium. putting grades on strip cards is kinda stupid imo (i don't care about an extra 1/16th in border space and not willing to pay 2x for that real estate).
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top