Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best player with the worst cards?

+10
crazylocomerk
Jay
bowlingshoeguy
the-illini
cccc
nolemmings
ullmandds
terjung
sabrjay
BigGuy219
14 posters

Go down

Best player with the worst cards? Empty Best player with the worst cards?

Post by BigGuy219 Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:35 pm

My vote goes to George Sisler. One of the first batch of Hall of Famers. Nominee to the All Century Team. Virtually the only player of note in a half century of St. Louis Browns baseball. Best first baseman in baseball until Lou Gehrig emerged on the scene.
Career began after Cracker Jack and ended before 1933 Goudey. Has a bunch of strip cards and black and white caramels.
Anyone else have a candidate?
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Best player with the worst cards? Empty Re: Best player with the worst cards?

Post by sabrjay Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:56 pm

Ty Cobb. The only cards of his I like are the e95 and t227. The rest I find to be very nondescript. If they didn't have the name Cobb on the bottom, no one would care.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:53 am

sabrjay wrote:Ty Cobb. The only cards of his I like are the e95 and t227. The rest I find to be very nondescript. If they didn't have the name Cobb on the bottom, no one would care.

I do like his T3 though. That one is sharp.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:29 am

I agree on Sisler...I have a lame-o strip of his...but I love the t202 cobb with sliding center panel...truly a classic!!! Come to think of it...there are many cobbs I really like especially all of his early postcards, sporting life postcard, T206's, e90-1...I guess in a similar vein Rogers Hornsby has pretty lame cards too?!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:33 am

Hornsby has the 1932 US Caramel and the 1933 Goudey that immediately come to mind in terms of "mainstream appeal."

Harry Heilmann is another player in Sisler's boat, whose entire career spanned the era between CJ and Goudey.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:51 am

Please keep in mind that some of us like the black and white sets, maybe even prefer them to color lithographs, and even focus our collections on them. Wink Wink
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 am

sisler has a very cool collins-mccarthy throwing pose that was later adopted by the american caramels. actually i also like his sporting news.

besides his portrait poses, i think plank has some horrible action shots. the e90 and e93 don't even look like him, and most of his later ts are derivatives of that.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by the-illini Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Jesse Burkett is no picnic either. Fell between the OJ and the E107s, left out of the Mayos.

The Ramly is a beautiful card, but it was almost fluky that he was even in that set. He was included for managing a northeastern minor league team, in the area where Ramly's were produced I believe.

Your other "choices" are the impossible Just So, the recently discovered W600, and the Koester's bread card, which is very tough to find itself and shows Burkett well past his playing days, to put it politely. Uncle Jesse was screwed in the card department!
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:05 pm

What about Ross Youngs?

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:50 pm

E90-1 Jackson is the ugliest card ever, even when they get his lipstick on his lips.

Jay
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Jay wrote:E90-1 Jackson is the ugliest card ever, even when they get his lipstick on his lips.

haha....that's funny!
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Can't let this thread go by without mentioning Walter Johnson. His T206's are nice, but his T207 has to be one of the most hideous looking cards ever made. And he was completely shafted by the caramel companies throughout his prime years.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:00 pm

I thought about mentioning Johnson, but his T204 is legendary and his T3 is sharp. His T206 portrait is also pretty highly collectible, so I'm not sure that he fits this category, but I too thought about including him. Not really in the same card-void as Sisler and the like.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:17 pm

Johnson's 1921 Exhibit and 1914/15 Cracker Jack cards are also great looking cards, I've never thought his T3 or t206 pitching pose looked anything like him however.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:31 am

terjung wrote:I thought about mentioning Johnson, but his T204 is legendary and his T3 is sharp. His T206 portrait is also pretty highly collectible, so I'm not sure that he fits this category, but I too thought about including him. Not really in the same card-void as Sisler and the like.

The T205 (and the T202 end panel) is also a nice headshot.
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:53 am

I'm gonna go with Shoeless Joe. The E90-1 is horrendous, his I believe the issue is M101-4, is a very stale pose. Not much nice out there.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:57 am

If you can find one, the Texas Tommy is cool card.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Best player with the worst cards? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Best player with the worst cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down