Hobby Mysteries

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hobby Mysteries

Post by Pup6913 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:09 pm

I know that they came with a white border and was more than likely distributed in the slide and shell type piedmont packs. I do know that in 1914 there are few tobacco issued cards in packs. This maybe in part to the cost of producing the sets and the newly formed companies looking to trimm fat and make more $
Pup6913
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mzm55 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:36 am

I'm sorry for the delayed response, Jay. There is at least one more T231 known. The collector is extremely low-key and has an extensive collection; I'm not sure of the player. I imagine a few others exist, too, hidden away in deep collections.

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
1 / 1001 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:18 am

Why did Christy Mathewson not go to Carl Horner to get his picture taken when all the other ballplayers were?
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:58 pm

Now that I think about it Jeff, you're right. There isn't a formal Horner studio portrait of Matty that I can think of. Interesting. I also wonder why that was the case given that he was among the most famous ballplayers of the time.

Do you know the origin of the E107 Matty image? Definitely doesn't look like a Horner photo. That always seemed like an odd/awkward shot of him.

Ben
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
36 / 10036 / 100

View user profile http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Why were the T206 American Beauty backs trimmed vertically, it has been proven the packs were no narrower than other packs?

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
53 / 10053 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:35 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:Now that I think about it Jeff, you're right. There isn't a formal Horner studio portrait of Matty that I can think of. Interesting. I also wonder why that was the case given that he was among the most famous ballplayers of the time.

Is not the Mathewson image used on M116, E103 and Cracker Jacks not a Horner image? I think it is...or at least always thought it was. Verification, anyone?

Ray
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:45 pm

And then there is this absolute gem, if the attribution is accurate. Sold at Hunt's in 2005 for 20k. Can't say I'm not jealous:

"Fine Christy Mathewson auto. photograph attributed to Carl Horner. Striking 3 7/8"x5 1/2" mounted studio portrait of Mathewson in New York Giants uniform which has been signed in black fountain pen, "To Mr. Peter Heim From Christy Mathewson Jan. 7, 1911"..."

Ray
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Think I answered my own question/misguidedness on the Matty M116/E103 portrait...Benjamin Falk, right?

I don't mind being wrong. Really. rendeer
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:27 pm

Christy sure looks like Tom Cruise there.

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. When I do this at home I get arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

View user profile http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:58 pm

rholmes wrote:Think I answered my own question/misguidedness on the Matty M116/E103 portrait...Benjamin Falk, right?

yep, Falk.

As for the above photo, I wonder how Hunt came up with that attribution? He may have gone to Horner later in his career, I don't know, but I don't believe he went early on which is why he is always notoriously missing from early Horner composites as well as the Fan Craze and Rotograph pc sets and also why the Falk image is used in so many sets.

Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:01 pm

rholmes wrote:Think I answered my own question/misguidedness on the Matty M116/E103 portrait...Benjamin Falk, right?

Speaking of m116 and e103, anyone know the connection between these two sets? Every single one of the 24 Sporting
Life blue background cards can also be found in the 30 card e103 set
and share the exact same (mirrored) portrait image.
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hrbaker on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:53 pm

sabrjay wrote:Christy sure looks like Tom Cruise there.

I see Mark Harmon more than Cruise.
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:10 pm

hrbaker wrote:
sabrjay wrote:Christy sure looks like Tom Cruise there.

I see Mark Harmon more than Cruise.

you are right. I knew I was looking for someone else but couldn't think of it.

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. When I do this at home I get arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve D on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:55 am

I'd like to know why Walter Johnson wasn't in any caramel sets other than E91 (and that's not even a picture of him).

Steve

Steve D
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:25 pm

Steve D wrote:I'd like to know why Walter Johnson wasn't in any caramel sets other than E91 (and that's not even a picture of him).

Great question, I've often wondered that myself. Johnson appears in a number of the 20's B&W Caramel sets, but is almost completely absent from the run of color lithographic e sets from the early to mid teens. I assume it's because he played for the lowly Senators who weren't winning any games in those years? Still not that convincing a reason to omit one of the top stars of the era from all of those sets.

Ben
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
36 / 10036 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:41 pm

Legend has it that Johnson was big on taking care of teeth and he didn't want to be pictured on candy cards because it would promote tooth decay among children nono

sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:04 pm

Ha HA, Jay...I guess they weren't aware of the correlation between smoking and gum disease back then!!!!

Other "mysteries"...to me...are:

e97 b/w's...how were they issued and why
e94's/e98's...how were the different background colors determined...and why are some colors so much tougher than others?
33'/34' Goudey LAjoie...how many were printed/distributed?
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:07 pm

We know that a full sheet of 34's with the Lajoie existed at one time until it was stolen and cut up. It would be interesting to be able to find that sheet but the Lajoie replaced with a different card. Otherwise that would mean that there were as many Lajoie cards printed as the other 1934 cards. My guess is that this is what happened, but any cards that were not sent out to people that complained ended up in the trash.

sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung on Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:23 pm

Since we are throwing out hobby mysteries... are there actually 150 players in the E107 set as some of the backs say or is it only the 147 players currently known? Additionally, who produced them? Different fonts, different backs indicate that they were perhaps distributed by different companies (not just Breisch Williams, as identified by the purple overstamp). Were they stamped by B-W as some sort of cancelation? Additionally, were E107 Type 2s cut from an advertisement piece?
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
8 / 1008 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:38 pm

I imagine the Alpha Engraving Keeler is still with the gent in Virgina that consigned the original 14 cards to Sotheby's. I bet he kept the Keeler for himself.
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:22 pm

terjung wrote:Additionally, were E107 Type 2s cut from an advertisement piece?
Good question - the origins of the E107 type 2's is definitely a mystery. Since no E107 specific advertising has been uncovered (as far as I know) all we can do is speculate. My guess is that they came from the original candy box, perhaps as a box topper. The thickness of the type 2's would support that hypothesis. What do others think?

Ben
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
36 / 10036 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Is the 1919-21 w514 Christy Mathewson the first to feature a player whose career had already ended? The card actually says "former pitcher" where the players position is usually listed.
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mzm55 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:17 pm

James Creighton's mid-to-late 1860s Peck and Snyder card (arguably the first baseball card) is actually a tribute card. Creighton died in 1862.

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
1 / 1001 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:29 pm

This card (issued in 1895) lists Ward's position as retired. There is another version which lists his position as 2nd base.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
1 / 1001 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-NUT on Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:29 pm

Uncataloged T206's

A proof of Eddie Collins (batting pose) was discovered at a New York show in the 1970's. Eight previously unknown Southern Leaguer proofs were auctioned by Mastro in the '90's. Have any other uncataloged T206 players been discovered?

Z-NUT
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
2 / 1002 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next