Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball?

+7
Alizxa
ullmandds
cccc
nolemmings
hrbaker
jebren72
sabrjay
11 posters

Go down

Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Empty Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball?

Post by sabrjay Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:39 pm

With the passing of George Steinbrener I thought it would be a good time to ask "Was he good or bad for baseball?"

In some ways he was good but I'm in the bad camp. He was responsible for the fiscal irresponsibility that is so pervasive in today's game. It's pretty bad when you have 2 players on your roster that make make more money in one year than entire teams in the league.

I like seeing competitive races and games. What you have now is a few wealthy haves and bunch of have nots. The have nots poke their head into the rarefied air of championships but they don't stay there long because they are unable to pay the stupid money that the Steinbreners of the game do.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Empty Re: Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball?

Post by jebren72 Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:36 pm

I think he was good. He put his money and effort into winning and thats more than most of the owners in the Majors do.

Also it wasnt the money or bloated salaries that got him Championships. It was him doing what he needed to do to win them that got the Yankees back to prominence. If money won Titles every World Series would be The Mets vs. the Yankees. The Yankees didnt even win a title for 9 years til last year and the Mets have won nothing. Theres as much risk in spending big money on a team as there is for a big payoff. Other teams complain because they want the reward without the risk of actually putting their own money or reputation on the line like he did. Every fan wishes their team had an owner like Steinbrenner. He was a NFL footbal style owner for a baseball team.

jebren72
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Empty Re: Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball?

Post by sabrjay Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:51 pm

Small market teams don't have the money to put up like the Yankees do. If the Twins had the money the Yankees do, they would be the team to beat in AL. Sadly, their lack of revenue keeps them from being able to sign all the top players that come through their system. If they had Yankee money Santana would still be on the team as would many other players that played great for the Twins and then moved on to teams willing to pay more money.

Teams like the Twins have to rely on being able to develop talent. Something that Yankees cannot do. Yes, Jeter, Bernie Williams and Rivera were actually signed/drafted by the Yankees but try and name another star the Yankees developed in the 30 years prior to that.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by hrbaker Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:52 am

Don Mattingly?
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:12 am

Ron Guidry, Thurman Munson, Bobby Murcer? Graig Nettles and Willie Randolph were acquired in trade after they had not blossomed elsewhere, and in the case of Nettles, anyway, that was Minnesota.

As a huge Twins fan and extra large Yankee fan, I can see both sides. But IMO, If it wasn't Steinbrenner that started paying the huge salaries, it would have been someone else. The problem is systemic, and any wise businessman in that market would have capitalized.

Believe me, while I feel bad for his family and in some sense the loss that the game has suffered, I was no great fan of George. I was somewhat embarrassed to call myself a Yankee fan for years while he bullied his way into the spotlight. As time has passed, though, I have mellowed and seen that his spending was inevitable, and that he capitalized on his market and his investment. If the game allows for that, then blame the game.

Finally, I'm done giving the Twins a free pass on the poor me schtick. Get 'er done. Both Florida teams and others have made the WS with less than fat payrolls, and the current Twins payroll is more than fat enough.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:39 am

i only base one factor in measuring owners...do i want him owning my favorite teams? short answer for steiny...HELL YES~! same goes for mark cuban and the like.

i'm tired of the carpet-bagging mccourts we have out here that take money out from the team to support their broke and bloated lifestyle instead of doing whatever it takes to win.

edit: ok i misread the question, i certainly think he's also good for baseball. we need more owners that put money back into the game rather than kc/mil/pitt etc who cry poverty and take away luxury tax/revenue sharing $$$ out every year. ny with its monster tv network and popularity is basically feeding these smaller market teams.

editx2: twins is NOT a small market club. i believe their payroll is close or bigger than the Dodgers now...what a freakin' farce that is...dodgers have been mismanaged for far too long.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:21 pm

I second what Todd said...to a T!

As a lifetime Yankees fan...I didn't love "the boss" throughout most of my life...but...in the past 10-15 yrs it became apparent how much he cared for the game and his players...and winning...as compared to someone like Peter Angelos who had all of the $$$ in the world but would not spend it to field a better team...as many owners refuse to do!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:30 pm

The Twins have never had the smallest payroll since the Griffith family sold the team, but for a long time they were reluctant to pony up large sums to keep top players. That was a their choice. A bad choice. They still can't compete payroll-wise with Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc. If they could, do you think Santana would have left the team? The Twins were a very competative team when left so he can't say he left because the team sucked.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Empty Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball?

Post by Alizxa Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:27 am

Regardless of whether a person is a baseball fanatic, or an occasional follower of the sport, I bet the name Mickey Mantle will definitely ring a bell. Why should it not in the first place? Mickey Mantle is considered as the best switch hitter of all time.

Alizxa
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyHarmonica Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:46 pm

George was willing to spend money and got it back in return, yes he had the advantage of the largest market in sports but also the most pressure so you have to give him a lot of credit for being able to do what he did and take the risks he did. Carl Pohlad was the wealthiest owner in baseball but spent the least, and was able to be very successfull at it, but had he spent a little money they wouldn't have had as many down years and been able to make a profit. It really made me sick to hear him cry about losing money, I don't recall hearing him cry about all the money he made in 1987 or 1991.
It also didn't help that Pohlads son Bill was more interested in making movies than making a better baseball team. He has been very successful in that area, making millions of profit off producing Brokeback Mountain and Into the Wild but not the same passion for his baseball team. Where as George lived and breathed Yankee baseball 365 days a year with his rabid fans doing anything to make his team the best, the Twins pick great prospects and make good trades but the refusal to do something blockbuster seems to come back to bite them at post season time.
JohnnyHarmonica
JohnnyHarmonica
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:49 pm

I, unfortunately, root for a small market team with absent owners. The owners of Nintendo own the Seattle Mariners and I can not remember ever SEEING them, even in 2001 when we won 116 games, or when Ichiro broke Sisler's single season hits record. Nothing!
Steinbrenner was in your face, and in your wallet. I would love to have an owner who cared so much about winning. I would trade the Nintendo owners for a bag of balls, and would have given up Ichiro for the will to win of George Steinbrenner.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm a Yankees fan but not a boss fan and I think it would be a shame if he was voted into the Hall.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:13 am

jbonie wrote:I'm a Yankees fan but not a boss fan and I think it would be a shame if he was voted into the Hall.

i don't understand voting for owners into the hof, i would probably extend it to front office/management positions also (not talking about on-field managers).
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:28 am

Gotta agree with you Bob, with the exception of double-threat Connie Mack of course. Owners should have a seperate corner at the Hall, like winners of the Ford C. Frick excellence in broadcasting award. Go ahead and call it the Steinbrenner Corner of Incredulous Owners. But the question remains...was he good or bad for baseball? I have to say good.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:27 am

Does Quan translate to Bob in Viet Nam? question

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Was Steinbrener good or bad for baseball? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:03 pm

Sorry Quan still not familiar with everyone on the forum, please accept my apologies.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:33 pm

pariah1107 wrote:Sorry Quan still not familiar with everyone on the forum, please accept my apologies.

no biggie, call me bob...i put it there for a reason Smile
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Quan prefers Bob because when his dyslexia kicks in he is still able to spell his name correctly
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:20 am

sabrjay wrote:Quan prefers Bob because when his dyslexia kicks in he is still able to spell his name correctly

ha that's a good one.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down