Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage, or Prewar only?

+4
sabrjay
fisherboy7
ullmandds
browncow75
8 posters

Go down

Vintage, or Prewar only? Empty Vintage, or Prewar only?

Post by browncow75 Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:52 pm

Where do you all draw the line for the majority of your collection? Primarily, I like to collect all prewar (pre-1941), but I will occasionally dabble in 50's-60's issues of cards/players I like. What do you think?
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Vintage, or Prewar only? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Vintage, or Prewar only? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Vintage, or Prewar only? Empty Re: Vintage, or Prewar only?

Post by ullmandds Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm there with you browncow...mostly pre 1939 for me...with a smattering of cards from the 40's and 50's thrown in. My breakdown is approximately:

75% pre WWI
20%pre WWII
5%post WWII
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Vintage, or Prewar only? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Vintage, or Prewar only? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:25 pm

90% pre-1941...

I have a random smattering of 1950's and 1960's favorites....including 1953 Topps Paige, 1955 Koufax/Williams, and a bunch of 1956 topps including all of the major HOFers, because at one point I was working towards the set (might finish it still, some day).
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Vintage, or Prewar only? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Vintage, or Prewar only? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Mostly pre-WW2 but I have my childhood sets from 1971 and 1972. I also buy the occasional pack of new cards just to get that fix of opening a pack. I have been thinking of putting together the 1955 Topps set again as that was the first "old" set I put together and really like it. Especially because there is no Mantle. It'd be an even better set if there were no Koufax but I can live with his card in the set.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Vintage, or Prewar only? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Vintage, or Prewar only? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:40 pm

sabrjay wrote:It'd be an even better set if there were no Koufax but I can live with his card in the set.

LOL, such a hater! I know your stance on Koufax, but can't figure out how the set would be better without him Vintage, or Prewar only? Icon_eek
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Vintage, or Prewar only? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Vintage, or Prewar only? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:45 pm

it would be cheaper. No Koufax rookie to deal with.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Vintage, or Prewar only? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Vintage, or Prewar only? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:48 pm

Hey Ben,
For those of us not familiar with your stance on Koufax, can you fill us in on it?
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Vintage, or Prewar only? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Vintage, or Prewar only? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:52 pm

browncow75 wrote:Hey Ben,
For those of us not familiar with your stance on Koufax, can you fill us in on it?

I think he was an all time great pitcher! Jay is the hater so you can ask him Vintage, or Prewar only? Icon_twisted
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:53 pm

browncow75 wrote:Hey Ben,

ugh, not again......Jay, do us all a favor and PM browncow. I`m with Ben, he was great!!!!

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
Vintage, or Prewar only? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Vintage, or Prewar only? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:56 pm

pro9 wrote:ugh, not again......Jay, do us all a favor and PM browncow. I`m with Ben, he was great!!!!
Vintage, or Prewar only? Lol

Good call Elliot. Jay can fill him in on Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens while he's at it....along with a sprinkling of e90-1 Oakes and Thorpe love
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:58 pm

LOL...fair enough. Probably have your reasons. Just like how I dont understand how you can let someone with off the field drinking problems, and alot of other issues into the HOF (Yankee fans, and idea who Im talking about?), yet Pete Rose is banned for life for gambling??? Thats another debate tho.
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:05 pm

When you talk about the greatest players of all-time the definition needs to be clear. Are you talking about the greatest players during the peak of their career or over an entire career.

If you like supernovas, then Koufax is the pinnacle of this type of player. He was is one the best peak performance pitchers ever, but over a career, he is sorely lacking. He was a sub .500 pitcher for the first half of his career. Koufax fans love to forget and/or ignore this part of his career.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Compared with a modern player, I call that the "Jim Edmonds" career! He was a great centerfielder, and was a great hitter for a while. Then, as he aged, he started swinging at everyhing that was thrown to the catcher, and hasnt made a "Web Gem" worthy play in 4-5 years I think. He practically had to beg to get a shot at the pro's this year. Started out as a serious HOF contender, but now I wouldnt say so.
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:51 pm

Value-wise, pre-1941 cards are 98%+ of the value of my collection.

Number of card wise, pre-1941 cards are about 75%+ of it.

The remainder of the cards are:
- rookie cards from the 70's Steelers,
- rookie cards from the members of the Big Red Machine, and
- rookie cards from Purdue's QBs who went onto the NFL.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Vintage, or Prewar only? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Vintage, or Prewar only? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:41 pm

100% prewar for me. My entire collection is T216's (1911-16)

I also have 1 T213-3 (1919), and 1 C56 (1910 hockey).
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Vintage, or Prewar only? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Vintage, or Prewar only? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 pm

100% pre-WW1
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Vintage, or Prewar only? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Vintage, or Prewar only? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down