Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about.

+8
onlychild
cccc
wonkaticket
TheBig6
the-illini
scott elkins
sabrjay
fisherboy7
12 posters

Go down

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Empty Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about.

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:58 am

Post a scan of a card that you think looks great, but for some reason, nobody talks about it. Could be because it's from a rare/obscure set, or because it's a "common" card from a widely collected set (ie. t206). You don't have to own the card, it can be anything.

I'll start us off with a card I can only dream of owning. Nobody ever talks about this card mostly because it's incredibly obscure. But it's awesome looking. It's a 1888 N321 SF Hess Cali league card of Sheridan:

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. N321sh10

Sheridan is the only umpire in the set. This particular example is actually a proof card (lacks the bottom ad caption), but this subject was issued in the regular N321 set as well. There are a few umps in the Old Judge set too, but none are as great looking as this one. Such great color. Scott - I thought you might like the sunset on this one too.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's picks!

Last edited by on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:09 am; edited 2 times in total
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Empty Re: Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about.

Post by sabrjay Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:03 am

I don't have scans of either, but two of my favorite cards, and Lee will agree with one, is the t206 Eddie Collins portrait and CJ Clarke.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Empty Re: Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about.

Post by scott elkins Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:54 am

Ben, I love those sunset backgrounds - you know that - very nice card btw!

Here is a nice background from the T206 set and for those that don't know, it is also a tough 460 series only card as well. righton I picked this one up a week or so ago on eBay for $55 - I was elated! bounce

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. T206_c10

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Empty my dream card

Post by the-illini Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:28 am

A card I never see mentioned, but I think is fantastic, is the K Bats Harry Wright card. The photograph of him sitting on the bench in a suit and tophat, notepad in hand presumably watching his squad go through a workout is about as cool as it gets in my opinion.

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Kbats10

This image is courtesy of a Lew Lipset auction catalog - unsure who the winner was, but they are darn lucky to have it!!!
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:49 am

The Collins is Mine and I posted it for jay. The Glasscock I wish was mine. The only action Pose in the N162 BB set.

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Sgccollins

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Glass
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:10 am

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. PcShow us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. MickeyShow us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. T210per20BurchShow us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. T210per20breShow us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. MaloneyShow us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Conroy_1Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Herzog_1Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. 3Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. WeedShow us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. T212per20redShow us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. T212per20ostShow us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Killilay1Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Klein1Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Byrnes2per20copy

Hopefully its ok to post more than one, there are so many amazing cards which go without mention...great thread Ben.
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:15 am

the wool coat epitomizes the dead-ball era to me. the e97 carrigan have a rather bland gold back compared with other e & t cards but i love the colors and especially the red hat and scarf/collar of the boston uniform.

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. E9710
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:36 am

Quan - I agree about those wool coats (one of the reasons I like the Cobb leaping and T210 Jacksons).

John - Those are some really nice cards. I have always liked the T206 Maloney and Conroy with Bat myself as well. My first T206 Drum was a Maloney (wish I still had that one, even though it was Poor). The Conroy is really neat with the exhaust from a UFO in the background that flew by before the picture was taken. Shocked

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:21 pm

Chris - That K-bats Wright is simply spectacular. 'Nuff said. Do you have the auction results on it?

John - Great choices on the Cornoy and Herzog. Two awesome looking T206 "commons". Obaks are also a nice pick. The lithography on the '10 and '11 sets can't be beat (the '09s are of lesser quality imo).

Quan - I also dig that E97 Carrigan. I really like how the yellow/gold background sets off his cherry red cap and collar. Carrigan and Keeler are the best looking E97's imo.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:04 pm

From the much malighned set of e91 Fakes. The Crab looks about 12yrs old. I just thought it looked kinda cool
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. 47569-730670
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:54 am

This is pre-"clone" war. I couldn't resist.

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. C3po_e10
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:00 am

Actually, post clone wars as C-3PO didn't get his skin until after the war.

Jay - yes, I am a Star Wars geek
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hanksta Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:39 pm

Wow! Looking at the photo what is this? I guess he is syping on Princess Leia? Embarassed

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. C3po

sdbh
hanksta
hanksta
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.millcitycards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:19 pm

That's hilarious Sean! Razz Razz Razz I never noticed that until you pointed it out. This could be a rare error - kinda like the Fleer Billy Ripken FF cards.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:25 pm

It's an error card that slipped by the QC. Like the F-face Ripken card this is another must have for every collection. PSA won't grade them, although they did a few some time ago. If I remember correctly, because of centering and green borders, there were just a few at PSA 8 and above.

Out of many, here is one website that tells the story.
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:53 am

I like the 1909 Obak Horizontals nobody talks about them Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Icon_biggrin

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. 09Obak_Nelson_A

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. 09Obak_Wiggs_A

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. 09Obak_Mohler_A

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. 09Obak_Hogan_A
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:35 am

Those are cool, I didn't know they existed.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:23 am

nice bump...this background caught my eyes when i was browsing the cards, almost look like a presidential poster. most of the w600 street clothings are very spiffy and dapper.

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Hustings-suit-1
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Nice topic. I saw the thread while browsing the forum a couple of weeks ago but didn't dare bump it from its slumber.

Anyhow, I'm posting a cuban 1915-16 Susini. This particular card is widely regarded as being Tris Speaker...some small debate because of uniform style, etc.,...but it sure looks like him to me.

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Susinispeaker

The set itself is fairly massive, depicting various sports and non-sport subjects, and the cards were meant to be collected in an album. There are only three baseball subjects...Speaker, Red Murray (trying to remember completely off the top of my head) and another. Many of them are hand-colored...which is what attracts me, at least in part, to the Speaker card.

Obviously, if these weren't generic, if Speaker and the others were identified, they would be a lot less obscure!

Ray

Last edited by rholmes on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:41 pm

Hey Quan that's a sweet looking W600! There are some interesting looking cards in that set - I think I saw a waist-up (outdoor?) pose once too.

Because W600's were redemption cards, some are very seldomly seen. The Hustings you posted is perfect example - it's probably a really rare card because when you think about it, you had all the stars of the era available for your selection....I doubt many people requested Hustings...therefore not many were produced.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:42 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:
Because W600's were redemption cards, some are very seldomly seen. The Hustings you posted is perfect example - it's probably a really rare card because when you think about it, you had all the stars of the era available for your selection....I doubt many people requested Hustings...therefore not many were produced.

For that reason, W600 is an impossible set, IMO. The checklist from ads doesn't necessarily mean that all of them were released. I love the background on that W600. Never have seen that one before.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:29 am

How about this fun 1907 Wolverine News PC of Wild Bill Donovan. Not exactly a "beautiful" card per se, but it is unique!

Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. 1908_Wolverine_Donovan_web
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:37 am

i love it...ABSOPURE...they were selling bottled water way back then too!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Show us a beautiful card that nobody ever talks about. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down