Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest sets of all time

+9
cmoking
vwtdi
Bicem
fisherboy7
TheRiddler
cccc
terjung
Square_Frame_Ramly
sabrjay
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest sets of all time

Post by cmoking Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:41 am

Bicem wrote:I'm not a fan of e90-1 at all. So many of the images are just so cartoony. The Jackson and both Wagner cards are butt-ugly in my opinion.

tough to disagree with the "cartoony" aspect. I agree with you on the Jackson and the Wagner throwing ... but the Wagner batting is pretty good IMO.

Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 E901JacksonJoeSGC20Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 E901WagnerThrowingSGC30Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 E901WagnerHonusBattingSGC40

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:44 am

showing some more E90-1s to make my case Smile

Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 E901UppJerrySGC50Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 E901BellGeorgeSGC40

Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 E901OakesRebelSGC40Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 E901JordonBuckSGC40

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:09 am

My two favorite cards from that set, George Upp and Rebel Oakes. I'd love to get the Upp card, but sadly, it's one of the tougher cards in the set Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Icon_cry
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:31 am

I'm gonna cheat a bit on this topic (hope that's okay for a Minor Leaguer) and throw out the six sets I'm most interested in starting (date rather than preference order):
1. 1909-1913 M101-2 Sporting News supplements
2. 1911 T205's
3. 1911 Mecca Double Folders
4. 1933 R337 Eclipse Imports
5. 1934-'36 Diamond Stars
6. 1941 Play Ball

Any thoughts/warnings/hints about any of these sets? I know the Diamond Stars have a notoriously messy checklist, but other than that I just know the styles appeal to me. Whatever I start next, I gotta get out of the late 40's and 50's. Not that he wasn't a solid player, but if I have to buy one more Granny Hamner card I'm gonna lose my mind.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:18 am

Don't let the messy DS checklist intimidate you. It's just a master set checklist for all the back variations. The easiest way to do the set is to get one of each number card. Then later on, if you want to punish yourself, you can start chasing a master set.

My brother Lee (bowlingshoeguy) knows a bit about SN supplements.

Starting threads about each of the sets you are interested in is encouraged. That way, all that great info will be in one easy to find thread rather than trying to sift through this to find the info.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:11 pm

King,
To be fair, I'm probably not the best person to judge e90-1's since I tend to like cards that feature photos vs. artwork. There are a lot of good looking cards in the set, I just mainly don't care for the Jackson and either Wagner (plus the Young side view card).
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Just collect the m116 blue background. That is where the value is, imo.

And as far as r337s, I agree. If you are going for ugly cards, select the ugliest. Or if you are seeking poorly manufactured cards, MP&Co. is my recommendation.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:53 am

GOAT sets. Not my favorites but just thinking of popularity with collectors or how it changed the hobby:

T206
33 Goudey
52 Topps
89 Upper Deck
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Greatest sets of all time - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2