Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A-Rod is probably four more years away.

Go down

A-Rod is probably four more years away. Empty A-Rod is probably four more years away.

Post by TheRiddler Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Excerpted from another board discussing baseball crowd reactions:

Yesterday, 08:09 AM

John Shoemaker

vbmenu_register("postmenu_1667060", true);

The 3 biggest crowd reactions I saw in person:

On July 13, 1934 I saw Babe Ruth hit his 700-th home run.

On July 21, 1973 I saw Hank Aaron hit his 700-th home run.

On September 17, 2004 I saw Barry Bonds hit his 700-th home run.

Babe Ruth's was not as big a reaction as the other 2 because 700 was nothing special at the time - he just kept hitting homeruns.

Hank Aaron's was probably the biggest reaction because he was the second one to do it.

When asked how this came about, his response:

Today, 09:43 AM

John Shoemaker

vbmenu_register("postmenu_1667351", true);

It was mostly just luck. When Babe Ruth hit #700 I was 14 and on a business trip to Detroit with my dad and he just decided to tale me to the ballgame because the yankees were playing (we lived in New York). We also took in the game the next day when Babe hit #701.

When Hank Aaron hit #700 I was 53 and working in Atlanta and saw many Braves games and made sure I went to the homestand when he was near #700. I also saw him hit #698 and 699.

When Barry Bonds hit #700 I was 85 and retired and living with my son in San Fransisco. Barry hit #699 in Arizona and I was hoping he would not hit #700 until the Giants came home. I was not in good enough health to follow the Giants on the road even tho I really wanted to see him hit #700. Fortunately he hit it in San Fransisco.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
A-Rod is probably four more years away. Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100A-Rod is probably four more years away. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down