Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's discuss how we store our cards........

+15
pro9
bowlingshoeguy
Davalillo
psacollector
smtjoy
mzm55
Jim Rivera cfc1909
rman444
fisherboy7
CobbSpikedMe
cccc
sabrjay
Bicem
r337man
Comisky
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Empty Let''s discuss how we store our cards........

Post by Comisky Sun May 17, 2009 10:09 pm

For some reason I am always curious how people store their cards. Maybe it stems from me worrying if I am storing my cards appropriately. I have heard many rumors over the years of how to store cards, especially raw cards, such as they should be kept in a binder, in top loaders, screwdowns, penny sleeves, shoe boxes, etc. For the past 6 or 7 years that I have been in the hobby I have accumulated a decent number of prewar cards. Not to many, maybe 150-200 and I am going to break down how I store them below. My collection consist of raw and graded cards. Most of my raw cards I bought graded and cracked them out. Below is my exact collection and how they are stored:

1.) I have a 1933 sport kings set psa graded set that is almost complete. I keep it in a binder with four card pages. It presents really nice, however, the only problem I have is that the PSA slabs are thinner than SGC slabs and they tend to slide out of their spots in the plastic pages. Not a big deal, just a little annoying.

2.) My high end cards are all graded by either sgc or psa. They are cards of Cobb, Jackson, Matty, Wagner, Ruth, Mantle, old judges and a few others. I also keep these in a binder with four card pages. Now this one is locked up and put away, so unfortunately I don't get to view it as much as I want to. But, I understand that because of the value of these cards, it's best to just put them away.

3.) I am collecting raw T206's and T210's. I am trying to collect and put together both sets. I am collecting the T206 set by team and I just completed the NY Giants. Most of these cards are in the g-vg range. Almost all of them I bought graded and cracked them out. Now with these two sets I have them in a claim-shell binder so the weight of the binder won't push down on the cards. Additionally, they are all in 15-card pages and they look incredible! I love looking at the backs of the cards almost as much as the fronts because of the different advertising companies.

Thats pretty much my collection. The binder which houses my raw t206 and t210 set I store flat on it's back and I have heard it might be better to store it on it's spine. Is that true?

Let's hear how you guys store your collection!

Jeff
Comisky
Comisky
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Empty Re: Let's discuss how we store our cards........

Post by r337man Mon May 18, 2009 12:11 am

All raw and in acid free sheets in binders except my beater t206 Plank is in an SGC A holder and my 1952 Topps Mantle is holdered.

I feel the 3rd party grading should only have 2 grades total. Authentic Unaltered AU and Authentic Altered AA.

If they did away with the numbers, I would have more cards graded as I do like the look of the SGC holders.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Empty Re: Let's discuss how we store our cards........

Post by Bicem Mon May 18, 2009 1:27 am

safe deposit box
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon May 18, 2009 1:30 am

My childhood sets are in plastic pages in a binder. My most valuable cards in SGC holders. the rest are in raw in acid free holders in an MJ Roop box

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Empty Hey Dan

Post by Comisky Mon May 18, 2009 2:23 am

Are there any tricks to storing raw cards? I once heard that you need to store raw cards that are in a binder on its spine so the cards do not bend. Any truth to that? Any other words of wisdom?

Jeff
Comisky
Comisky
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon May 18, 2009 3:05 am

i like to store my raw cards in a penny sleeve in a toploader in a team bag...i triple bag it! if i have alot of them i would buy a box and have them all lined up. slabbed cards are everywhere in my room, because it doesn't matter how they're stored...numbers sell!

imo it's cumbersome to put slabbed cards in those plastic binders like raw cards...i also don't like raw cards in those binder type or card savers...cards can be bent or dinged or folded...toploaders are the bee's knees.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Mon May 18, 2009 10:53 am

I tack mine to the wall all over my bedroom along with my pennants. Also, I like to take out my 1952 Topps High #'s and flip 'em with my grandpa out behind the garage when he's taking a break from working on his car. That way he gets a lot of grease all over them and it make this story even more rediculous.
flaglol
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon May 18, 2009 8:50 pm

My binders are stacked on top of each other about 4 or 5 binders high in my safes. Safe deposit box is a very safe idea but I enjoy my cards and spend time with them each night in the basement. They are not an investment, they are my hobby.

Taking 28 different Washington Times cards out of the 9 pocket sheets and handling them is a major rush!! I hold them like a deck of cards and leaf through them. Then have the pleasure of replacing them or tucking them into their 9 pocket sheets for the evening.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon May 18, 2009 9:02 pm

You don't put them in the spokes of your bike? That's what I do with my really thick cards like Gypsy Queens. My bicycle sounds like a Harley

Jay

Last edited by sabrjay on Mon May 18, 2009 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Mon May 18, 2009 9:08 pm

r337man wrote:Safe deposit box is a very safe idea but I enjoy my cards and spend time with them each night in the basement. They are not an investment, they are my hobby.

They are my hobby too and I don't want anyone stealing my hobby while I'm away from home. I enjoy scans of my collection instead.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon May 18, 2009 10:15 pm

r337man wrote:Taking 28 different Washington Times cards out of the 9 pocket sheets and handling them is a major rush!!

Holy Crap! 28 Washington Times? That would be a sight to see. drool

I agree that leafing through your treasures from time to time is half the fun.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Mon May 18, 2009 10:30 pm

Dan - you cracked your wash times cobby out of its holder?
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue May 19, 2009 12:27 am

Hell yea I did, that puppy was only entombed long enough to be registered with SGC then IMMEDIATELY out!!!

Don't want your investment I mean cards stolen?? me neither, mine are in safes that are so heavy that if someone can pick them up, I will hold the door for them

I enjoy my cards, have fun going to the bank

Scans?? You can enjoy scans of anyones collection not just yours.

Hell if I collected scans, I would have the greatest collection ever

There is nothing like holding them every night, handling them and causing WEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by r337man on Tue May 19, 2009 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue May 19, 2009 12:29 am

Ben if you ever make it down to Maryland you are very welcome to see the Washington Times cards.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Tue May 19, 2009 12:51 am

r337man wrote:

There is nothing like holding them every night, handling them and causing WEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very creepy but ok. righton
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Tue May 19, 2009 12:59 am

I store most of my cards in Ultra Pro sleeves and then a Ultra Pro card saver so they are double protected. I do have many rare back T206s and types in SGC holders.

Ben-I have seen and held those Washington Times cards-WOW! Shocked I also looked at a couple other cards while I was there. drool drool

Also received the T215-1 and put it in an Ultra Pro. Cool
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue May 19, 2009 1:01 am

No argument that I am creepy!!! Good description!
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Tue May 19, 2009 1:03 am

cool, we finally agree on something!
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue May 19, 2009 3:15 pm

Jim Rivera cfc1909 wrote:Also received the T215-1 and put it in an Ultra Pro. Cool
Great, enjoy the card Jim righton

Do you have other Red Crosses as well? I have a feeling it's not your first.

r337man wrote:Ben if you ever make it down to Maryland you are very welcome to see the Washington Times cards.
Thanks Dan, I will most definitely take you up on that if I'm in your neck of the woods. Would be great to see some of your other goodies as well, like that amazing J=K Wagner in your avatar.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Tue May 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Dan - If I am ever in maryland, I will have to invite myself over to touch and smell your cobb!
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Tue May 19, 2009 5:51 pm

rman444 wrote:Dan - If I am ever in maryland, I will have to invite myself over to touch and smell your cobb!

a true collector would eat it.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue May 19, 2009 7:52 pm

No need, you are officially invited by me! Anytime and yes, please I love having a reason to pull the goodies out.

We can have a smorgasbord (not sure I spelled that correctly)
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Tue May 19, 2009 10:04 pm

Thanks, Dan. If I am around, I'll look you up and bring some of my Cobbs. But you will have to keep your stinkin plastic cracking hands to yourself!
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Wed May 20, 2009 1:34 am

Great, enjoy the card Jim righton

Do you have other Red Crosses as well? I have a feeling it's not your first.

Ben, you are right-not my first
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Let's discuss how we store our cards........ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by mzm55 Wed May 20, 2009 2:13 am

Here are some images to show how I store my cards. The bulk of my collection is in a nice tobacco card binder with a slipcase (these are relatively expensive but well worth the investment); I have the rest of my collection in smaller photo boxes (purchased from The Container Store) and a cigar box. My larger items (photos, cabinet photos, bats, etc.) are mostly on display.

Let's discuss how we store our cards........ IMG_1996
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ IMG_1998
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ IMG_1999
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ IMG_2002
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ IMG_2003
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ IMG_2004
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ IMG_2007
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ IMG_2009
Let's discuss how we store our cards........ IMG_2010

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next