Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is probably normal

+3
Bosox Blair
hrbaker
ItsOnlyGil
7 posters

Go down

This is probably normal Empty This is probably normal

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:35 pm

So, lets not make a big deal out of it. But I 'accidentally' poked my nose into our membership list and found that out of our 243 members, 73 have never posted; and 23 have never even revisited Full Count since they signed up.

So, I thought to myself "why would someone sign up as a member of Full Count?

- Is it the free newsletter which is not even in the planning stage?
- is it the prestige in membership (which comes with full groupie access)?
- is it a dare?, the loss of a bet?, other punishment?

I come away with the conclusion that the only reason to sign up is to post ( probably a question ), but also to contribute when you can. If so, we are either providing services as a not yet needed resource for these 73 members, or are too hostle an envoronment to draw out their inquiries.

Although the controversies which occur among our participants are far less frequent and less severe than is typical with forums of this nature; this does not mean that we are not intimidating. For exaqmple, please view our monthly acquisitions postings, and compare the dollar value of the cards obtained each month by our average and primary contributors. Would you feel comfortable asking a question about your (prized) $75 card of someone who apparently never buys a card for less than $500.?

There are plenty of us who obtain cards priced more in tune with a lower budget collector. Certainly most of these do not get posted. Maybe we could consider a second tier acquisitions thread. One which excludes cards priced above $200.

This idea could be a failure, some of my suggestions do go that way. Smile
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
This is probably normal Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100This is probably normal Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

This is probably normal Empty Interesting Thought

Post by hrbaker Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:28 pm

I never really think about what someone might have paid one way or the other when they post a card. I don't really think that's the problem is it? I would assume that is a fairly normal % for most forums.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
This is probably normal Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100This is probably normal Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

This is probably normal Empty Re: This is probably normal

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi Gil,

I am a member on many forums for different interests (guitar, wine, baseball, etc.). I have learned from these forums that there are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of "lurkers" who read forums for info, but never sign up. Those people value the info, but for many reasons don't get involved further.

Some eventually take the plunge and sign up, but don't go further. I believe many people sign up with the intention to ask a member a specific question through a PM (this happened to me today on a guitar forum). Then they never post...so they are a member with 0 posts.

Others sign up to communicate with a seller in the Buy/Sell. They might even buy a card, but have no interest in posting...so again they end up with 0 posts.

I think is is pretty normal, and I would not assume it has to do with any intimidation. This is a very friendly forum in my experience beer

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
This is probably normal Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100This is probably normal Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Bosox Blair wrote:Hi Gil,
... This is a very friendly forum in my experience beer

Cheers,
Blair

I'm losing my touch ninja

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
This is probably normal Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100This is probably normal Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:44 am

Its just the Rope-a-Dope.
shivering
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
This is probably normal Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100This is probably normal Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm

The most curious part is the part that 23 have signed up only to never return. I understand the lurking part but to sign up and never return, they most not have liked what they saw. Everybody has there own opinions and have to go where your happy. I have also had a few people mentioned that they are involved with a few other forums and don't want to get involved with another.

As far as the value of the cards shown, I think that is just a comfort level with the poster. I have encountered very few collectors that scoff at say seeing T206 commons over say HOFer cards.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
This is probably normal Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100This is probably normal Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by t2069bk Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:12 pm

One thing I've learned in life is never try and figure people out, it just leaves you feeling frustrated!

As far as posting cards- I can't say I agree with the different postings. I may feel awkward posting a T206 Purtell after a Kalamazoo bat, so I'll just wait until we are on a new page!!!! One solution might be to create a hall of fame page - where only the best of the best can be placed - if they get enough bunnies!

On a side note Keep going Gil almost to 1000- We should have a party then ....Hamm's and Piel's for everyone!

As for the missing 23 maybe they are alter egos of our very own Riddler?
t2069bk
t2069bk
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
This is probably normal Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100This is probably normal Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Ya know? I think that it is me who really wishes that we had an acquisitions show and tell for cards priced below $200.

It is most of what I buy, and it is most of what I'm interested in - why not experiment with a cheap buys place? See if other beater enthusiasts are drawn out.

But really, I like to see the higher valued cards as well. It is just that they are not in my baseball card budget. But looking is priced right, keep 'em coming!

- Gil

PS. lets have Mark's 1000 post party first bananarama
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:59 pm

Another possibility for those 23 is that they are lurking but they are not logging in when they lurk

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
This is probably normal Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100This is probably normal Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:39 pm

t2069bk wrote:

On a side note Keep going Gil almost to 1000- We should have a party then ....Hamm's and Piel's for everyone!

Big plans for my 1000nth !
I get a new avatar !
We started out awarding stars for increments of posting achievement, then management decided that we had to establish our balls first. So, I've decided that upon 1000 balls equivalency, I will award myself one star; and that is what my new avatar will show.
I don't imagine that I will ever make it to two stars, but I will be on the lookout for a two star avatar - or I can make one - maybe.
But Hamms sounds real good - I never liked Piels much, but Schlitz was a good beer last I had it.
Buy American - or do the foreignors own these too?

Yikes! I now see Sabrjay is almost to 2K - nearly fully lapping the field. I betcha Ben is there too.

Keep your (good) eye on BowlingShoeGiverOuterGuy - he only made it to 500 at the beginning of the year, and now he is almost breathing down the back of the Big6.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:47 pm

One star, that would make you COMMODORE GIL
As a retired Petty Officer, I salute you beer
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
This is probably normal Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100This is probably normal Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm afraid that it is closer to commode door than anything actually nautical. However, that could apply.
captain shark
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum