Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show

2 posters

Go down

Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show Empty Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show

Post by Potomac Yank Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:11 am

I don't know about the Philly show, but talking between the seller's and the buyers at the Chantilly show ... was not a problem.
I'll start off with me, but before that, let me say this.
The pre war dealers were there.
Ron Barrett, and his outstanding assortments of tobacco cards.
Cy, and his broad sellections of Cy Cards.
The Dean of Cards, Larrie Dean.
Ken Cohen called his table a museum of Tobacco, & "E's" ... and I couldn't argue with him.
Don Otto, and his diversity.
Chuck Bortnick & Feagan of Huggins and Scott Auctions.
Rick Keplinger, of Ricks Cards in Stephenson, VA.
I know I'm missing a few dealers, and I apologize for that, but it was at Ricks table that I noticed that the dealers, and buyers were listening to each other.
I picked up a T210 - 6 that I needed to fill an empty slot.
True, it was a beater, but who cares ... it filled an empty slot, and it was a fair price.
I walked around, sat at Larrie Deans table, and watched him buy, and sell while I was sitting there. ..... The sellers, and buyers at this show, were talking.
Same thing at Cy's table.

Going back on Saturday ... hoping that the talking continues at the Chantilly show. Very Happy

Joe Pelaez (tobacco-r-us)

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show Empty Re: Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Talking cards are always great fun, but if your a dealer you better hope there is some buying going on, if not we know what happens.

One the most helpful words for buying at a show was to be willing to pay a little premium because you get to actually see the card in person and have it in hand, whereas as buying by ebay or over BST's you are always taking a chance you don't see something in a scan.

Happy Card Collecting,

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show Empty Re: Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show

Post by Potomac Yank Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:36 pm

Hello Lee,
That's precisely what I'm talking about.
It wasn't just fun talk about cards, it was about ... Let's get together on a deal ... Give and take on both sides ... It's a two way street.

In my case with Rick Keplinger, he looked at his priced card ... and came back with a number that was fair to both of us, and I didn't try to go lower ... two happy campers ... Done deal.

The best part is ... that I got to see that kind of give and take, at other tables at the Chantilly show.

Now let me get my @ss over to the show. Very Happy

Keep smilin.
Joe

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Abarga - nigan ... Alive and Well at the Chantilly show Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Potomac Yank Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:14 pm

Went back to check out the show on Saturday, got there late because I was beat from the day before.
The show is primarily an autograph show, with a huge cast of signers, but for those that are passionately addicted pre first world war, and the off the wall ... there are sometimes surprises to be found. ... Only serious addicts, and sicko's need apply.
Like I said, the T210 - 6 Ross was a beater, but it filled an empty slot.

On Saturday, the dealers competed for the autograph crowd.
Those with pre, and post war tables ... had activity ... the talking was up to them.
As I passed Larrie Dean,and a few others ... they had a smile on their face.

Today Sunday, I was too tired to check the show out ... I hope they did well.

Oh, before I forget, I got to talk to a couple of dealers that were at the Philly show the week before ... they stated that the show was not as negative as it was made out to appear on another forum.

Joe P.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down