Current smack

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Current smack

Post by terjung on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:22 am

So sorry to hear that your place got flooded. That's lousy. Glad to hear that the BB cards made it through ok, though.

-Brian
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
8 / 1008 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by slidekellyslide on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:55 am

Sorry to hear it Jay. Did you guys get rain up there? Melting snow? or a plumbing malfunction?
slidekellyslide
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
1 / 1001 / 100

View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/nebraskadiamonds/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:45 pm

The way the building is laid out I have 2 apartments above me. The Wed flood was caused by the dumb girl living above the bedroom and front of the living room portion of my place. She decided she was going to soak some dishes while she went to school. She forgot to turn off the water as she left. The amazing part of this story is that her kitchen sink is about 5 feet from the front door, so how do you not notice you left the water running. There is where all the damage to my stuff occurred. Then Thur the sink drain on the apartment that was above the other half broke. There is ceiling drywall hanging loose and carpet is totally soaked along with the sofa, which fortunately belongs to the landlord.

So it has been a very good week for me. I should be getting a new and improved computer out of the deal though since the landlord's deductible is larger than what buying a new one would cost and she said she just do that for me.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. When I do this at home I get arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

View user profile http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:14 pm

Dan, I think you are going to have to start picking players that played at the University of Nebraska or in the College World Series. I should be interesting how the team fairs.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
53 / 10053 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by slidekellyslide on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:03 am

Nah...I definitely have a large pool of players left to pick from, but there aren't any all stars left by any means. It's gonna be fun.....maybe. bananarama
slidekellyslide
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
1 / 1001 / 100

View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/nebraskadiamonds/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:45 am

Some of those players may not be in the database. It's pretty much just stars and players that had long careers. Right now I can't check who's on the list until I get a new computer

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. When I do this at home I get arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

RESERVE LIST

Post by TheRiddler on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:42 pm

In the interests of the good of the Sim sport, and in order to protect the owners research, development and other efforts in behalf of the player, his assessment, and employment in the fashion most appreciated by the Sim; it seems only fair that a team which has developed the proper application of the player to the Sim sport over several successive seasons should reap the benefit of his efforts.

These benefits should be in the context of exclusive rights to the player.

Specifically what is proposed is that if a team employs a player for three consecutive Sim seasons, the team should own the exclusive right to employ that player for the next three consecutive seasons. And this right is ongoing at annually renewable intervals. This right is viewed as a property. As such it can be exchanged for other players whose exclusivity is owned by other clubs, for other players for individual seasons, or for the opportunity to draft (draft pics) other players.

As an example of what is being referenced here. The Sim League(s) contain teams employing the top all stars in baseball history. As such, competition is tough and talent is abundant. In order to make the best use of the available talent, players are sometimes asked to try non-traditional roles.
For example, last season Christy Mathewson served in the capacity of long reliever. His record was 11-7 with 11 saves. In 78 games, he started 9 and finished three of those, compiling a 2.66 ERA in 183 innings of work. Is this a good choice for the employment of his talent?

The answer may depend on the rest of your staff, and other factors. But it is not an assignment which I would have thought of.

Isn't a Reserve Clause justified to protect the investment of insight and development of our managers?
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 / 1002 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gil...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:48 pm

I thought i had Matty last year and he was my starting pitcher.... scratch

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler on Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:52 pm

Mark,
My inquiry stands even if the Mathewson example is considered as a hypothetical case. However I obtained my information from Jay's Sim summary, specifically: League pitching register -- FC Historical FBBL
Regular season -- as of 11/18/2008

Which states:

Primary

Name

Team
P
W
L
S
G
GS
CG
SHO
INN
H
R
ER
BB
K
HR
GDP

Christy Mathewson

BRS
sp
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 / 1002 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Dan's (Wahoos) 12 hours elapsed a few hours ago, so Todd can go ahead when he sees this. Dan can make up his pick whenever he is able to.

Ben
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
36 / 10036 / 100

View user profile http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:10 am

It was the seventeenth round last year when we began our double pick strategy. This year there are less teams, so we could begin that approach sooner.
Or perhaps as Mark indicated, things are moving rather rapidly right now, therefore why change anything.

My vote: is start the double picks next round.
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 / 1002 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

No

Post by nolemmings on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:30 am

I vote against any double picks--completely unnecessary at this point.
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
4 / 1004 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:35 am

I vote for single picks for now, I think we are going at a good pace.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
53 / 10053 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:00 pm

I made this suggestion last time around this stage of the draft - basically recommending starting the draft over with exactly the same rules except that every player who has been picked to date is ineligible:

What I'd like to see
by ItsOnlyGil on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:47 am

Is at the conclusion of these sincere efforts to assemble the best possible teams, we throw all of the players out, and begin again. That is, every player selected during this phase of the selections is eliminated from being a candidate, and new teams are configured based on whatever players haden't been picked.

I certainly do not think I would fare any better in this than anyone else, but doing a sim on the resultant teams would be a indication of who really knows the players. Or who has/uses the best research sources.
ItsOnlyGil
Legend

Trader Points :
(2/100)
:

Any takers?

TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 / 1002 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:52 pm

Taht is sort of what I had proposed with each person drafting two teams and running AL/NL type format.

I'd love to do another draft with after this one with all players currently drafted inelligble. Would be lots of fun and very interesting.

Jay

sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Well tha's two of us = two more teams. We can draft them up in no time, if we want to.
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 / 1002 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:12 pm

Anyone successfully save Jay's Sim Season 1 database? It seems that I only saved the utility which accesses the data, not the data itself.
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 / 1002 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

well...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:33 pm

I saved just the front page to my desktop and not each individual stat...damn!!!

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:37 pm

I would be up for the draft after the draft. Maybe we can do double picks to speed it up.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
53 / 10053 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:59 pm

I still have the data. I will just need to repost it when I get web space again. Right now I don't have an ISP since I am at my mom's on her account.

Jay

sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:44 am

If your second baseman, catcher or other key player gets injured: who do you have to replace him with, and can you expect to win any games with that replacement?
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 / 1002 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:40 pm

Hopefully you drafted bench players to cover possible injuries. 14/10 or 15/9 is not a hard and fast roster set up. You can go 16/8 if you like but I wouldn't suggest going lower than that for pitchers as the game does account for pitcher fatigue and even with a 4 man rotation, you pitching would get killed.

Everyone should have the core of their offense so now everyone will be battling for the best utility players. If you have questions as to what positions a player is rated for, go to baseball-refence.com If it shows that he played at a certain position, then he will have a rating for it. Mostly poor if it is only a few games.

Jay

sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
25 / 10025 / 100

Back to top Go down

One of the things which you should do to minimize the

Post by TheRiddler on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:16 pm

requirement for pitching changes is to tell the Sim to deemphasise the following options (if you want minimal relieving):

custom settings for the manager, if you choose to change them from default.

Here are teh options. Everything is ranked 1-5 with 1=most frequent, 3=neutral and 5=least frequnet

OFFENSE:
bunting for a hit
sacrafice bunt
squeeze bunt
hit and run
stealing
base running
taking pitches

PITCHING:
pitching around
intentional walk
pick off throws
pitching out
using relievers <--------------- put in a 5, or whatever seems appropriate
using closers <--------------- put in a 5, or whatever seems appropriate

PINCH HITTING:
for pitchers <--------------- put in a 5, or whatever seems appropriate
for non-pitchers
in blowouts

DEFENSE:
holding runners
infield in
gaurd the lines

I did not do this last season, but used the Sim defaults which did not work at all with my small pitching staff. In seperate inout, you also tell the Sim the size of your rotation (3-5), the percentage of spot starting for selected relievers, and other factors.
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 / 1002 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Team to Beat

Post by TheRiddler on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:21 pm

My vote for the best team (on paper) is McGunnigle's crowd, the Bridegrooms. I can not find the glimmer of a weak spot.
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 / 1002 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I have to...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:31 pm

disagree Gil...i think its pretty even all across the board with the Red Stockings just a little ahead when it comes to hitting, if i had Ty Cobb in my line-up i would be unbeatable. Laughing

The thing is, how does the game differentiate from 19thcentury pitching and late 20th century hitting. I also agree that each team should set their team up without the default.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
15 / 10015 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down