Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he

+2
bowlingshoeguy
ItsOnlyGil
6 posters

Go down

373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Empty 373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:21 am

out of steam, or does Maddux have a real chance for it? He is at 355 now. 18 to tie.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Empty Re: 373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:50 am

Interesting, I bet he is aware of the stats. I was not aware he has that many. Boy if he actually could have won 20+ games a year in his dominating years he would definitely be in the running. It would definitely take 2 more years of pitching. I would not put it past him. Maybe he learns the knuckle ball and pitches 5 more years. Very Happy

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Empty Re: 373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he

Post by TheBig6 Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:03 am

I hate comparing Baseball Gods to Modern Players. Johnson & Mathewson are the greatest Baseball Pitchers of all time and nothing will ever change my mind.
373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Sgcjohnson373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Mathewson

I would take Bob Gibson to win a game over Maddox.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:53 pm

I love records being broken, especially long established ones. But records really do not make one player superior to another.

Recently, well a little recently, the "unbreakable" record of a relatively no-name player:

373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Stenge10

was surpassed. Ed Cartright had held the record for most RBIs in an inning (7) for over 100 years, and looked certain to continue holding it, until another no-name player had an even better inning:

373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he 7106_110

affraid
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:54 am

It's always hard to be objective about who is the best all-time. For old timers, all we have to go on is hearsay and what is in the record books. Actually seeing the players is gives a much better idea who is better among contemporary players. We tend to get misty eyed and nostalgic about days gone by and think players and times back then were better than they really were.

Don't get me wrong, Matty and Johnson are among the best ever, but given the era that Maddux played in, it's really hard to dismiss him as not being equal to those two. When you look at their ERA adjusted for league avg they are almost the with Maddux 132, Matty 135 and Johnson 137. For those mot familiar with this, 100 means you are at league average. These guys were roughly 1/3 better than the league average ERA.

Maddux's win total is staggering considering that most pitchers today only get 30-35 starts a year. Matty and Johnson both won 30+ games. The most starts Maddux had in one season was 37. This means he would have had to get credit for the win for every time head started to match Matty's best win total in a season.

We been lucky enough to watch two of the greatest pitchers ever play in our lifetime, Maddux and Clemens, although many will dismiss Clemens for the same reasons they dismiss the great career Bonds had.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Empty Maddux Retiring - So He'll Stay at 355

Post by Bosox Blair Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:44 pm

sabrjay wrote:It's always hard to be objective about who is the best all-time. For old timers, all we have to go on is hearsay and what is in the record books. Actually seeing the players is gives a much better idea who is better among contemporary players. We tend to get misty eyed and nostalgic about days gone by and think players and times back then were better than they really were.

Don't get me wrong, Matty and Johnson are among the best ever, but given the era that Maddux played in, it's really hard to dismiss him as not being equal to those two. When you look at their ERA adjusted for league avg they are almost the with Maddux 132, Matty 135 and Johnson 137. For those mot familiar with this, 100 means you are at league average. These guys were roughly 1/3 better than the league average ERA.

Maddux's win total is staggering considering that most pitchers today only get 30-35 starts a year. Matty and Johnson both won 30+ games. The most starts Maddux had in one season was 37. This means he would have had to get credit for the win for every time head started to match Matty's best win total in a season.

We been lucky enough to watch two of the greatest pitchers ever play in our lifetime, Maddux and Clemens, although many will dismiss Clemens for the same reasons they dismiss the great career Bonds had.

Jay

Jay,

Very well said and I agree 100%.

Maddux's agent says he will announce his retirement on Monday. The end of a great career - thankfully unblemished by the public image problems that bring many of today's stars into disrepute.

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:54 pm

Nolan Ryan should be mentioned when mentioning Modern Pitchers. IMO

Does anybody remember JR Richard at his peak before the stroke, Unhittable Fastball & Slider
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:11 pm

Ryan is an outstanding pitcher, but I wouldn't call him among the greatest. When he was on, he literally was unhittable. When he was off, he was among the worst in the league. That is not the hallmark of greatness.

Still, if I could pick only one pitcher to watch, it would be Ryan. He is the only pitcher, that every time he stepped on the mound, you knew there was a chance a no-hitter might be thrown. You really can't say that about anyone else. Not even Koufax.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100373 - the NL wins record, shared by Matty and ol Pete; is he Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:52 pm

Bosox Blair wrote:
sabrjay wrote:It's always hard to be objective about who is the best all-time. For old timers, all we have to go on is hearsay and what is in the record books. Actually seeing the players is gives a much better idea who is better among contemporary players. We tend to get misty eyed and nostalgic about days gone by and think players and times back then were better than they really were.

Jay

Jay,

Very well said and I agree 100%.

Maddux's agent says he will announce his retirement on Monday. The end of a great career - thankfully unblemished by the public image problems that bring many of today's stars into disrepute.

Cheers,
Blair

I want the new guys to equal or surpass the old, when they can. It blends the continuity and validates the past for me. Recently I hoped that Craig Biggio would hang around and venture into the hallowed ground of the 700 Club:

1.Tris Speaker+* 792L
2.Pete Rose# 746B
3.Stan Musial+* 725L
4.Ty Cobb+* 724L
5.Craig Biggio 668R

In doubles. But that was not to be either. I will be happy with the 355 wins he achieved, and those of Clemens and those of Spahn. It nicely blends and validates the past for me, without comprimizing the achievements of those who Big 6 reveres.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down